Stupid foods we bought to lose weight; I'll start

2»

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,583 Member
    In 40 years of yo-yo dieting, I've wasted so much money it would make the angels weep. The gym-standard elliptical machine that I turned into a glorified clothes horse; the rebounding mini-trampoline that I annoyed the neighbours with due to its incessant squeaking ; the dumbells that I used as door stops; the skipping ropes, resistance bands, yoga mats, exercise bikes, rowing machines, Fitbits that were never ever anything more than a flash in the pan.

Then, on the eating front...protein bars, slim-fast shakes; low/no fat everything; fibre pills; laxatives because I couldn't poop to save my life; pure bran; making ScanBran muffins (and trying to convince myself they were edible); CLA supplements; spirulina; stevia/splenda/candarel....far too many 'diet' foods to list.

Thankfully I came to my senses a few years ago; now I just eat healthy, nutritious, wholesome natural foods, prepared simply at home. No supplements, no faddy diet foods, nothing artificial.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Huel. Ugh. It was horrendous.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    When I was at my heaviest I decided I had to stop eating fast food breakfast. I went out and bought the "healthiest" cereal I could stand to eat (but do not even LIKE)...frosted mini wheats, skim milk and orange juice. I ate pretty big portions of that. Looking back I see that my typical fast food breakfast was about the same dang calories! lol I used to get unsweetened iced coffee and a sausage biscuit. Not sayin' that was healthy but it kills me to remember how much yucky cereal and oj (I also do not like oj) I consumed for "health and weight loss".

Much prefer my current breakfasts of fridge oats or egg and toast!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Oh, I forgot about fat-free cheese! Disgusting!
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    PB powder. I found out I only like real peanut butter. And rice cakes. Ive tried them several times and i want to like them but I just dont.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Okay before I really stopped believing in gym broscience, I thought that because foods that were fat free (back in late 80's early 90's) I wouldn't get fat. Tried them damn Oleo chips and had major gastric issues after eating a bag.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    PB powder. I found out I only like real peanut butter. And rice cakes. Ive tried them several times and i want to like them but I just dont.

Lol! I love peanut butter AND powdered. I use both in different ways
    I find powder is great for making things, mix in seasonings, and if I want volume. I also love rice cakes but want a quality gluten free/ vegan/ yeast free bread that does not taste like air or have tons of calories or expensive price
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Xylitol for sweetening coffee for myself and DH. I heard it was both good for teeth and good for gut bacteria. He usually has stevia but I can't stand it.

DH puts a lot more sweetener than me in his coffee. He had this weird diarrhea that went on for over week until I realized I was poisoning him in his coffee (xylitol gives you digestive upset if you eat too much).
  • meeppeepneep
    meeppeepneep Posts: 56 Member
    @Frompumpkin2cinderella Only thing worth steaming is buns, nothing will change my mind.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Years ago I tried Alli - omg, horrible experience!