For the love of Produce...

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Trying to post my loose leaf lettuce, let's see of it works!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    @AnnPT77 those are some GOOD friends!! :) I think I should do some garden deliveries to my sisters this weekend. That looks like what is coming out of my garden right now (minus the onions-wish I had some though!!)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    @AnnPT77 every time you post a produce box I'm envious! Never tasted violets though.

I bought another bok choy yesterday. It works great as a substitute for spinach in my egg muffins and it's sure a heck of a lot cheaper.

Right now though I'm hopefully waiting on my garden. Eggplant, tomato, zucchini, Swiss chard, kale, beets, carrots, beans and raspberries are hopefully coming.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Gardened some today and then (friend in town) grilled, including asparagus from the farmer's market on the grill and then green beans in the pan I can use on the burner on my grill with fresh dill from my back porch herb cart.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Really regretting not buying spinach at the Farmers Market. It would have been great sauteed down and put on some english muffins with avocado, bacon, and eggs for lunches. Oh well. We are slowly getting more and more produce into the market. Tonight I will be using some asparagus I got and the next few days I have romaine for taco salad.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    When do you deem a pineapple ripe? According to the label from the supermarket you need to be able to pull out a leav easily. Not the case with the one I have now. However, when I smell the fruit it smells sweet.

Trying to decide whether I can make pineapple fried rice with the fresh pineapplle (that might not be ripe) or with tinned pineapple.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,168 Member
    The very INNER leaves get easier to pop out as it ripens, if it's going to ripen. I could go for some grilled pineapple....
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,168 Member
    @acpgee

I see you made enough to share with me. Be right over.

That looks really delicious.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I saw fiddlehead ferns at my local Wegmans for (gasp) $17 a pound, but I HAD to have them. I haven’t had them since I was a kid but I remember loving them, and they did NOT disappoint this time either. My mom was visiting and treated us to 1/2 lb, so I steamed them, then sauteed in some butter and garlic, with a touch of s&p. My mom and I spent 5 minutes after we ate ours raving over how good they were lol

When I was a kid I remember getting them frozen so they could be eaten outside of their very short season. I wonder if they are just as expensive frozen?
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    2ixhxia0z8uz.jpeg

I saw fiddlehead ferns at my local Wegmans for (gasp) $17 a pound, but I HAD to have them. I haven’t had them since I was a kid but I remember loving them, and they did NOT disappoint this time either. My mom was visiting and treated us to 1/2 lb, so I steamed them, then sauteed in some butter and garlic, with a touch of s&p. My mom and I spent 5 minutes after we ate ours raving over how good they were lol

Love these!!!! Haven’t seen them yet here in NY... have to keep a look out!