Limiting sugar intake?

2»

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I'm the type that can't have just one lays chip, or stop at just a handful of m&m's etc.

I think it may be easier in the long run to just completely stop eating certain foods
    Once they are not allowed at all, it becomes easier to cut the sugar and processed carbs.

Right now I'm doing an elimination diet which has completely cut out all those things. I still need to figure out what I'm going to add back and when.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I keep Sugar Free Werthers and other sugar free hard candies or gum in my desk at work. It helps me by giving me something sweet that is low calorie.

Hot drinks also help me with my sweet tooth. I just drink hot teas plain or with splenda. If you like cocoa, Swiss Miss Diet/Reduced Calorie Hot Chocolate only has 40 calories and 4g Sugar (6 carbs).
  • ladyoftherocks
    ladyoftherocks Posts: 64 Member
    Not really what you're asking for as far as managing the sweet tooth, but it's also helpful to look at the sugar content in things you wouldn't expect. For example, I was shocked how much sugar is in most store-bought marinara sauces. Now I either make my own or buy the one with the least amount of sugar (usually the pricey premium brands sadly, but they are good!)
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    dunenoret wrote: »
    I’ve slowly but surely come to realise that I have a major problem with sugar/sweets/biscuits etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any foolproof strategies to limit sugar intake - one portion a day maybe - but actually stopping after that one which I find impossible to do!

Many Thanks 😊
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It doesn't work for everyone (though I'm not the *only* one for whom it did): Eating more fruit helped reduce my cravings for less nutrient dense more calorie-dense sweets like candy, cookies, cakes, etc. I started with 3 servings of fruit every day, and did have to exercise some will power at first to avoid the other stuff; but after a while things like grocery store cookies weren't even appealing, just *too* sweet, and too simple tasting. After a while, I was able to reduce the fruit servings, and keep the effect. Nowadays, I like the occasional special dessert, but I don't crave the sweet snacks like I once did. YMMV, but might be worth a try.

FWIW, this was a tip from a registered dietitian, as a strategy to try.

This 👆🏻 - fruit has fiber in it and once I started focusing on fruit for my sweet treats I found I was eating less sugar overall. (Except for dates — I have a hard time monitoring medjool dates. Lol)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I haven't had a can of soda in over 5 years.

Just a matter of personal choice but it led the way to the loss of 40# by eliminating about 500-700 cals/day (from 4-6 cans/Coke/day) from my diet.

I still eat other sugar "bombs" like baked goods on occasion but I log everything I eat and eat them only in "moderation." However, I still eat fruit w/o concern because the the "natural" sources of sugar are NOT the problem. It's the "added" sugar in the things we eat that we need to worry about.

• conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    I am reading "Sugar Crush" and it's helping me understand what sugar does to our body. Also checked out Dr. Eric Berg DC on YouTube. I like him because he gets straight to the point without some long intro. It's helping me (as well as my bloodwork saying I'm pre-diabetic).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2021
    conklil wrote: »
    I am reading "Sugar Crush" and it's helping me understand what sugar does to our body. Also checked out Dr. Eric Berg DC on YouTube. I like him because he gets straight to the point without some long intro. It's helping me (as well as my bloodwork saying I'm pre-diabetic).

I have never read this book, but "If you suffer from ailments your doctors can’t seem to diagnose or help—mysterious rashes, unpredictable digestive problems, debilitating headaches, mood and energy swings, constant tiredness—nerve compression is the likely cause" (from the item description on Amazon) is a really common argument in the various sections of the poorly sourced "wellness community." They just swap out the cause for various scary sounding issues.