Coronavirus prep

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @SModa61 what foods did your dh have to give up? I was on Prilosec for years & after stopping got a cough that will not go away, even after going back on Prilosec. Interestingly, it was a little better, but got worse again after my first Moderna shot.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    India's numbers are probably undercounted, though -- I found plenty of articles even from 2020 saying that. And it's clear that many places that were for whatever reason hit less hard early on got hit harder later, and the current situation in India is terrible.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/04/22/989768074/how-india-went-from-a-ray-of-hope-to-a-world-record-for-most-covid-cases-in-a-da

Older pieces include: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-54176375 and https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53510307

I agree it’s devastating and extremely sad. People are dying because of oxygen shortages.

Just yesterday, my daughter said her boss thinks she has covid. My daughter told her to get tested. She said no, it’s probably just a cold🤷🏻‍♀️How many people think this way? Her boss won’t get the vaccine either.

A couple of months ago, my husband's boss had "really bad allergies or something" for over a week, kept getting worse and worse. She didn't want to get tested because she didn't want to be forced to quarantine. She ended up in the hospital with COVID (she's OK now but she was sick enough to stay in the hospital for a week.) Meanwhile, she spread it around work, the health department found out and came in and sent a bunch of people home to quarantine (including my husband who ended up negative.) Three other people at work ended up coming down with COVID shortly after. There are a handful of people at his work who say, "Yeah, we've all already been exposed. We don't need the vaccine now." WTH, people. So yeah, plenty of people "think this way."

I was telling my mom just last week that I was hoping that COVID would help end the "work through illness" culture that exists in some professions. It was not at all uncommon in my workplace for people to come to work with really bad coughs . . . basically as long as you weren't vomiting or had a high fever, you'd come into work. This wasn't due to economic insecurity (we had the ability to work from home, we had sick days). It was just "how things were."

But I think the mindset will be hard to change, even with the year we've just had.

For some of us, being able to work from home has helped stem the risk to others. For some, like me, not having to get up, make myself "office ready," drive to work, and actually go in, has led to me pushing through and working form home when I should have been resting.

When I was very ill for a week at the beginning of the year I was offered the opportunity to work from home. No, I need to lie on my couch and run to the bathroom every 20 minutes and occasionally nap because I'm worn out trying to fight this thing, not work.

It's pretty much always been expected where I work if we were working from home due to being sick we were still working.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2021
    @SModa61 what foods did your dh have to give up? I was on Prilosec for years & after stopping got a cough that will not go away, even after going back on Prilosec. Interestingly, it was a little better, but got worse again after my first Moderna shot.

@RetiredAndLovingIt In my husband's case, it appears his primary triggers are spices including black pepper, and acidic beverages. The acidic beverages are soft drinks, canned/bottled iced teas, and water with those liquid water enhancers added (think MIO and the like). Basically, he is now avoiding added citric acid in his beverages. He really has not changed much. I dealt with this as well, maybe 10 years ago. I had been clearing my throat for years, and then suddenly it felt like there was something caught in my throat. Got sent to an ENT and after checking me out, he was eyeing silent reflux, or LPR. He started me on the prilosec type product as well, but that is not something I wanted for life. Bought a book called "Dropping Acid" and it works through dietary changes to solve the reflux. It was a great help. I'm a little rusty now. I should go back and read it again. Let me know if I can help.

On a related note, looking back at what you wrote, if I recall, Prilosec is not supposed to be given for longer than 2 weeks. Longer term use is known for causing acid rebound. Sorry you are going through this and very curious that you and my husband may have been impacted by the vaccine.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @SModa61 Thanks for the info. (sorry if I hijacked this thread.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    India's numbers are probably undercounted, though -- I found plenty of articles even from 2020 saying that. And it's clear that many places that were for whatever reason hit less hard early on got hit harder later, and the current situation in India is terrible.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/04/22/989768074/how-india-went-from-a-ray-of-hope-to-a-world-record-for-most-covid-cases-in-a-da

Older pieces include: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-54176375 and https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53510307

I agree it’s devastating and extremely sad. People are dying because of oxygen shortages.

Just yesterday, my daughter said her boss thinks she has covid. My daughter told her to get tested. She said no, it’s probably just a cold🤷🏻‍♀️How many people think this way? Her boss won’t get the vaccine either.

A couple of months ago, my husband's boss had "really bad allergies or something" for over a week, kept getting worse and worse. She didn't want to get tested because she didn't want to be forced to quarantine. She ended up in the hospital with COVID (she's OK now but she was sick enough to stay in the hospital for a week.) Meanwhile, she spread it around work, the health department found out and came in and sent a bunch of people home to quarantine (including my husband who ended up negative.) Three other people at work ended up coming down with COVID shortly after. There are a handful of people at his work who say, "Yeah, we've all already been exposed. We don't need the vaccine now." WTH, people. So yeah, plenty of people "think this way."

I was telling my mom just last week that I was hoping that COVID would help end the "work through illness" culture that exists in some professions. It was not at all uncommon in my workplace for people to come to work with really bad coughs . . . basically as long as you weren't vomiting or had a high fever, you'd come into work. This wasn't due to economic insecurity (we had the ability to work from home, we had sick days). It was just "how things were."

But I think the mindset will be hard to change, even with the year we've just had.

But I have experienced "post viral cough" that can last up to 6 weeks. Even a regular cold or flu cough last about 10 days. I can't imagine anyone taking off 10 days for a cold. I don't get sick as much now, but when my kids were small it could happen 3 times a year. Like my work would not allow anyone to take off that much sick time for minor illnesses, I can't imagine most offices would. We get like 3 paid sick days.
    Although I guess those who can work from home could do that, we didn't have that option before, we do now.

I understand that taking ten days off is out of scope for the majority of people, but I'm talking about a culture where people take no time off and assume whatever they have won't be communicated to others (or that it doesn't matter if it is). The point is that people often assume that what they have is no big deal and stories like the one above show that it sometimes IS a big deal.

Again, this is in the context of people being able to work from home, which I know is an option that wasn't freely available in the past and still isn't available for many workers now. I'm not at all judging people who need to go to work in order to keep their job or don't have sufficient sick days available.

Why we need better leave, and why everyone should have sick leave. I was really proud of our system--the UC gave everyone 128 hours of paid COVID leave that could be used for quarantine/isolation, to care for others, to help kids with online school. And they gave an additional 80 hours a couple months ago. I haven't used mine, but I have employees who have burned through all their paid leave with multiple quarantines and other COVID-related issues. The additional paid leave has truly been a blessing.

In previous years, I've watched office after office on campus go down with the flu, so clearly we were passing on the cooties. I would love to see us change our culture, but I think a lack pf paid leave (for whatever reason) will impact peoples' decisions to stay home. And I get it.

No offense, but other than a government entity (which I assume is like most, broke) and just raises taxes, how can an organization afford an additional 5+ weeks of sick time a person?

Not everyone used it. And even our student employees were eligible (for half the leave as they are limited to 20 hours a week); and some haven't used theirs, either. And the need was extraordinary with quarantine/isolation being a full two weeks for most of the pandemic. Even with the additional leave, I have employees who have used that, plus all their accumulated vacation, sick leave, and comp time. They would have been even more financially devastated without the system leave. The employees utilizing it are on-site, service workers occupying some of the lowest paid classifications in the system.

Individual campuses have to figure out how to accommodate within their budgets, and I'm sure that gets passed down to departments. Some campuses have healthier budgets than others. This crisis has impacted my campus, but not to the extent where anyone was laid off. Other campuses are facing much more difficult circumstances. And that hasn't changed the system set obligations for our employees. Extraordinary circumstances call for extraordinary measures.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited May 2021

My husband has severe acid reflux. CAPSICUM is a huge trigger for his reflux...the main culprit is PEPPERS. Hot peppers have the highest concentration, but sweet peppers are enough to cause a pseudo-allergic reaction for him. (That means yellow, green, or red--the spices black and white pepper are not the same substance). Apparently this is very common with people with reflux although no one knows quite why.
  • SModa61
    @kenyonhaff You got me to pull out the book I mentioned above. I really do need to read it again as it is very interesting. Considering reading it. Anyhow, I jumped to "peppers" as it often describes the "why" and only states "Forget it: these cause problems. Avoid." :P But interstingly, on another page it states "People with reflux-related chronic cough should avoid pepper (especially cayenne). The same goes for hot peppers and hot pepper sauce."

From a totally different source, I found an explanation: "Spicy foods like hot red pepper sauce, and high acid foods like tomato products, citrus fruits and juices, can also bring on heartburn in vulnerable people. Such foods seem to "work on the way down, not on the way up," says Castell. They don't relax the muscle, causing a regurgitation of acid; they irritate the lining of a sensitive esophagus already damaged by previous acid attacks." From all else I have read, that explanation fits perfectly.
  • SModa61
    Ok, now here is the dumb (but sincere) question of the day.

1) if receiving the vaccine causes our body to produce COVID antibodies AND
    2) If one contracts COVID one's body produce antibodies

How can a doctor determine that a double vaccinated person has officially contracted COVID, especially for those cases that are asymptomatic? Wouldn't they be checking for antibodies to diagnose, yet a vaccinated person would have the antibodies regardless as well.

These are the odd things I think of when I do too much driving. :p
  • SModa61
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Ok, now here is the dumb (but sincere) question of the day.

1) if receiving the vaccine causes our body to produce COVID antibodies AND
    2) If one contracts COVID one's body produce antibodies

How can a doctor determine that a double vaccinated person has officially contracted COVID, especially for those cases that are asymptomatic? Wouldn't they be checking for antibodies to diagnose, yet a vaccinated person would have the antibodies regardless as well.

These are the odd things I think of when I do too much driving. :p

They don't use antibody tests to diagnose the virus. The diagnostic tests look for presence of the actual virus, not the antibodies.

@SuzySunshine99 Thank would explain it. thanks!