60 yrs and up

Replies

• bonitabeach33
    bonitabeach33 Posts: 67 Member
    Just wanted to check in and say hi. I’m going to try and increase my exercise tomorrow to include some brisk walking. It’s due to rain AGAIN all day so my little puppy wont be happy as the walking will be to a YouTube video. I wonder if I can get him to walk on the spot with me. Not confident in the outcome of that. Lol. Hope everyone is having a great day. X
  • nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    jan18037 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to the community. I want to lose about 20. 5+ years ago I had a gastric sleeve. Started at 260 and am now 20 lbs above my goal weight. I tried Noom trial and was very dissatisfied. I've been on Fitness Pal on and off for 5 years. Tracking really helps

Noom wasn't for me either, I am much better suited to My Fitness Pal, good luck on the rest of your journey, sounds like you are doing great.
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    edited May 2021
    Since COVID the new procedures used are really uncomfortable..
    Just wondering, what would those new procedures be? For me, all that is different is I don't have to wait in a reception area with other people. Otherwise, the actual cleaning process is the same, and the sanitation protections are the same careful ones as they have used for the last 5 years.

Oh, they don't "polish" teeth anymore, which I didn't have done anyway to do sensitivity. Besides, "polishing teeth" doesn't functionally improve anything.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    Since COVID the new procedures used are really uncomfortable..
    Just wondering, what would those new procedures be? For me, all that is different is I don't have to wait in a reception area with other people. Otherwise, the actual cleaning process is the same, and the sanitation protections are the same careful ones as they have used for the last 5 years.

Oh, they don't "polish" teeth anymore, which I didn't have done anyway to do sensitivity. Besides, "polishing teeth" doesn't functionally improve anything.

My gal uses a sonic cleaner before she scrapes and polishes. In the past she would use it and then let you spit etc. Now in order to reduce aerosol she puts the vacuum in your mouth the entire time. Yesterday it actually raised suction blisters on the inside of my cheek! That's what I was referring to as the new procedure. And she is also of course dressed in PPE to the 9's and we don't have to wait in a waiting room. Anyway, my dentist of over 20 yrs retired and he was SO meticulous and did so much work I am feeling a little lost. I met the replacement who bought his practice out yesterday but she did not impress me. Her appearance seemed a bit sloppy and she looked exhausted. So since his office is a long drive for me now I need to look for an experienced dentist who is closer. If I am going to start with a new one I might as well. But I do need some work done sadly (of course). It's funny because when I first moved to Austin in the early 90's I had a wonderful dentist very close recommended by a work colleage. When he retired and sold his practice the new replacement was really awful.. So my experience has been mostly they are wanting to find someone to buy them out and they might not be the best for me.

Happy Tuesday my 60's friends and welcome to MFP new folks.

• richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    Welcome to all the new folks! Happy rainy Tennessee Tuesday to everyone!
  • suziieq1
    suziieq1 Posts: 2 Member
    Well at 64 I meet the 60 and up part lol. Was on here before but fell HARD off the wagon. Could use some friends to keep up the motivation feel free to add me.
  • bonitabeach33
    Happy Tuesday all you fit and ravishing over 60’s lot.
  • bonitabeach33
    suziieq1 wrote: »
    Well at 64 I meet the 60 and up part lol. Was on here before but fell HARD off the wagon. Could use some friends to keep up the motivation feel free to add me.

Hi Suzileq, I just joined 15 days ago so we’ll do this all together. Will send friend request and then share in your succcess.

• bonitabeach33
    So yesterday I started switching my closets over from winter to summer. (Love this time of year). I have so many sizes of clothes which I’m sure many of you can relate to, so I have decided to put summer clothes that currently fit in my closets along with clothes that are a size smaller. Just to inspire me. Same thing in my drawers, smaller size underneath current size. I’ll let you know WHEN the switchover happens. Fingers crossed it’s soon as i have some great summer tops in the smaller size.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Good afternoon all. Hope you are having a great Tuesday. Switching from winter to summer clothes can be an eye opener for me. Either yea this fits or on no what happend. Can I just pretend it shrunk in the tote? Actually, I'm right where I started last summer so guess the covid year was all a wash. Let's all cheer ourselves on to a productive summer.
  • Sewingcybermom
    Sewingcybermom Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2021
    Hi everyone! I'm back at it after gaining 30 pounds last year. I'm 63, lost 50 pounds in 2018/19, and unfortunately ended up with diverticulitis right smack in the middle of covid. Finally had 11" of my colon removed and docs put me on a low residue diet after kicking carbs to the curb for 3 years. Yep, I ate all the waffles, bread, pasta, oats and everything else that had been off limits. Now I am paying the price! Sooooo.. I'm ready, I'm prepared. I can do this! Anyone else low carbing it here?
    I am pretty active. Walk every day about 2 miles and ride my bike (outdoor bike) about 30 miles a week, working up to my usual pre diver mileage of 40-50. Thank God for that, or I'd probably have gained 75 pounds!
  • richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    LalitaAmos wrote: »
    I'm 60 and having fun getting back in shape. Working out with a personal trainer 2 times a week and am having a ball biking and kayaking. My new kayak arrives in a few weeks -- just in time for the water to warm up a bit.

Who has an active summer planned?

Sounds like you have a plan! Awesome! I just retired. We have a cabin on the lake in the Tennessee mountains. Don't have a personal trainer but do a lot of walking. II am currently doing a pushup challenge. We have a pedal boat and the cabin is about 400ft from where we can put it in the lake. I got my wife and I both bicycles last year. There is a sand beach about 1000ft from the cabin. So yeah we got the summer planned too! Welcome!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Good afternoon all. Hope you are having a great Tuesday. Switching from winter to summer clothes can be an eye opener for me. Either yea this fits or on no what happend. Can I just pretend it shrunk in the tote? Actually, I'm right where I started last summer so guess the covid year was all a wash. Let's all cheer ourselves on to a productive summer.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    I consider that a huge accomplishment!!!! You’re one of the few people I know who came through this nightmare right where they started. Kudos to you!!
  • msgerrie
    msgerrie Posts: 7 Member
    Hello all,
    I am new to the community. Wanted to introduce myself and say I am looking forward to taking this “healthy living” journey with the 60+ crowd! 🙌🏾
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    My gal uses a sonic cleaner before she scrapes and polishes. In the past she would use it and then let you spit etc. Now in order to reduce aerosol she puts the vacuum in your mouth the entire time. Yesterday it actually raised suction blisters on the inside of my cheek! That's what I was referring to as the new procedure. And she is also of course dressed in PPE to the 9's and we don't have to wait in a waiting room. Anyway, my dentist of over 20 yrs retired and he was SO meticulous and did so much work I am feeling a little lost. I met the replacement who bought his practice out yesterday but she did not impress me. Her appearance seemed a bit sloppy and she looked exhausted. So since his office is a long drive for me now I need to look for an experienced dentist who is closer. If I am going to start with a new one I might as well. But I do need some work done sadly (of course). It's funny because when I first moved to Austin in the early 90's I had a wonderful dentist very close recommended by a work colleage. When he retired and sold his practice the new replacement was really awful.. So my experience has been mostly they are wanting to find someone to buy them out and they might not be the best for me.
    Yes, the usage of spray water has changed, but I wasn't affected since my regular hygienist didn't use an ultrasonic cleaner anyway.
    Hey, MY dentist just retired too! I haven't meet the person who bought the practice. I really hate having to find a new dentist. :(

• Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    Hi everyone, I had a calorie blowout today helping with birthday party food🥳🥳 back to the planntomorrow.. how’s everyone else going?