Feeling Demoralized and Need Ideas

Options
Mofee1
Mofee1 Posts: 12 Member
Hey all. My first time posting in this forum. I'm so frustrated with my weight loss journey. I have been using myfitnesspal off and on since around 2005. I initially followed Weight Watchers plan in 2004 and lost 60 lbs, but after hitting a major plateau then, I quit and started using myfitnesspal. Counting calories worked better and I lost another 40 lbs. I have kept it all off since then. So that's a total of 100 lbs lost and keeping it off for 17 years! I feel good about that, but, I want to lose ANOTHER 40 lbs. to reach my ideal weight and it is much harder now, especially since my fibromyalgia nerve pain makes it feel impossible to exercise. Anyway, long story short, I am re-committed to losing the rest of my excess weight and started tracking calories using myfitnesspal on Februay 25. I have lost 14 more lbs., but have stalled completely in the last three weeks. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I GAINED two lbs. even though I never strayed from my calorie limit--not once!!! Talk about demoralizing. Ugh! Yet, I remain completely committed and still have not strayed from my calorie limit and calorie tracking. I am limiting myself to only 1200 calories a day which isn't much, believe you me. I've been thinking about reducing my calorie limit to 1100 in order to continue losing weight, but just read on the internet that anything less than 1200 calories per day is not advised for someone over the age of 60 because you can lose critical nutrients.

I should mention that I DON'T eat a lot of carbs. I do eat plenty of veggies and I eat fruit once in awhile, but I avoid starchy, sugary veggies or fruits. I don't eat bread or pasta very often, but when I do, it's only a small amount. I do feel like I get enough protein, either animal protein or plant protein.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? As I mentioned, I have so much fibromyalgia nerve pain that it feels impossible to exercise. Just walking is very painful. It's sad because I used to be an elite athlete in my youth! So I crave exercise--I just can't do it. :-( Thanks in advance for any ideas!

-Mofee1

Replies

• moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't have any ideas for you, but I wanted to give you my support. My husband has fibromyalgia. It was diagnosed 5 years ago, although I think he's had it forever. He can barely walk to the mailbox much less do any real exercise, although he does do some tai chi, which seems to help keep him loose. He was never an athlete, so I can't imagine what you're going through. It hurts me so much to watch him everyday struggling just to get through. Kudos to you for losing all that weight! Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can almost assuredly eat more than 1200 calories and still lose - you don't say how old or how tall you are, but broadly speaking, the people who need to eat that little in order to lose weight are little old ladies trying to lose 5 lbs. Undereating for an extended period can really damage your body - do the guided setup again, set it to lose 0.5 lb per week at a Sedentary/Not Very Active activity levle, and see what budget it gives you.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you're suffering with fibromyalgia. Good for you for starting anew. I suggest you give yourself some positive self-talk. Losing 14 pounds is great. Our bodies aren't machines and don't lose in a straight line.

You probably didn't gain those 2 pounds. Our weight normally fluctuates depending on sodium in our food, waste in our system, etc.

Check your logging to be sure you're accurately recording everything. A food scale is very helpful, too.

Are you taking meds that could affect weight loss? If so, talk to your doctor.

Would you be able to get some movement in a swimming pool? I know my gym has water classes that many people with injuries and other problems take. I believe the water takes away the impact from exercise.

Good luck and best wishes to you.