portion control

having a hard time with portion control

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    What's difficult about it for you?
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Portion control for meals or snacks or both? Are you weighing/measuring and then putting the rest away? For me, out of sight out of mind works to a degree. I try to only make a serving for myself unless I am specifically cooking extra for the rest of the week.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    lmf1012 wrote: »
    Portion control for meals or snacks or both? Are you weighing/measuring and then putting the rest away? For me, out of sight out of mind works to a degree. I try to only make a serving for myself unless I am specifically cooking extra for the rest of the week.

Oh, that's a good point. I prep breakfast and lunch for the week for myself and my husband, so when it comes time to eat, I just grab one of my packed lunch containers and eat the food inside it. It's already accounted for because I also pre-log my food as much as possible. I've found it much easier to not "graze" or wander into the kitchen if I've decided in advance what I'm going to eat and when, and if the work of portioning and logging is already done when it comes time to eat the food, I avoid the analysis paralysis of "should I eat this now, how much should I eat now, how many calories do I need to save for later?" etc etc.
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    nwoutdoorgrl Posts: 167 Member
    I struggle with portion control as well. Logging my food and being mindful of how I feel during eating a meal or snack has been helpful. I'll ask myself, "am I still hungry?" This helps me recognize when to stop eating.
  • zerosugar101
    zerosugar101 Posts: 8 Member
    it is both meals and snacks, i can't make a meal just for me i cook for 5 so there is a big pan, and if it tastes good i want seconds, been trying to portion out snacks but then i eat 2 portions
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    edited May 2021
    it is both meals and snacks, i can't make a meal just for me i cook for 5 so there is a big pan, and if it tastes good i want seconds...
    Something that works for me is to make a big bed of lettuce on my plate, then put the measured "meal food" on top of the lettuce. By the time I work through the "meal food" AND the lettuce, I'm fuller than if I just ate the "meal food". I do it with both hot and cold food, on top of the lettuce. Lettuce has next to nothing in calories, so I can eat all I want! :)

And, if I am eating at a table with others, by the time I am done with my big plate of lettuce + the measured serving of meal food, most others will be done eating already. It is less temptation to be returning for seconds if it will be noticeable to others, "hey we are done eating, why are you still get more food??".

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I also agree with using smaller plates and bowls. My roommate is obsessed with bowls. We have at least 4 or 5 different sizes. When I use the big ones, I tend to give myself a larger portion.

Slowing down may also help. If you finish your plate, pause a few minutes before taking a 2nd portion. Fill the time with conversation. Really examine if you're still hungry. If so, start with an extra portion of vegetables. Or add a 2nd vegetable to your meal. Or a soup.

Maybe label those pre portioned snacks with which day you'll eat them.

Also are you waiting til you're famished? I tend to overeat when I'm really hungry. Some people do well with eating more often and some do well on one meal a day.

Use the notes section of your diary and keep tabs on your hunger level and find out what works for you.

• southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Slowing down may also help. If you finish your plate, pause a few minutes before taking a 2nd portion. Fill the time with conversation. Really examine if you're still hungry. If so, start with an extra portion of vegetables. Or add a 2nd vegetable to your meal. Or a soup
    Yes, slow down. That is basically what the big pile of lettuce does, you have to work your way though all that and it takes time. :)
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Also are you waiting til you're famished? I tend to overeat when I'm really hungry.
    That's me, too. If I reach a point of being "too hungry", then I oftentimes make unwise choices. In a pinch, when I've allowed myself to get too hungry, I drink some ice tea or other unsweetened drink to occupy myself while I quickly prepare some healthful foods.

• TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    @bebeisfit
    I agree with you about waiting till famished. That was always my problem. I would be starving by time I got home from work. I would start dinner and munch as I cooked, then eat dinner, then eat more. I never seemed to fill up. I have found what works best for me is to eat 5-6 times a day and I make sure to have a snack as close to the end of the work day as possible so that I am not starved by time I get home.

Smaller plates and bowls have helped me as well. It's amazing how a portion size changes based on the size of the vessel it is going into, lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    edited May 2021
    having a hard time with portion control
    Hide your 13 inch plates and only eat off 9 inch plates.............................and don't go back for 2nds.
    Also, if you're going to eat snacks, TAKE OUT the portion out of a bag, box, etc. Don't carry the box around and then count then keep the box open on hand. It's TOO EASY to reach in and grab more then feel like crap, and then finish it off because you think you failed anyway.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zerosugar101
    zerosugar101 Posts: 8 Member
    i don't keep an open box or bag to munch out of i portion it out in to snack baggies, will have to try the smaller plate idea. i tend to eat 2 snack baggies instead of one, and i was picking the wrong snacks. been trying to write down my portion before it gets here on the supper, but the snack i eat willy nilly