Pre-Workout supps.........

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    No caffeinated crap for me before working out. That includes a 5AM start time before work or 5PM start time after. Fix your sleep..

It's not always easy to fix your sleep. I have a 3 and 5 year old, who aren't the best sleepers, and due to the pandemic, we have to work shifts so i am at work at 5am. And the only time i can train my wife is after our kids get to sleep.

It might be worth you not making generalization based on your current experience. Some of us have a lot more going on.

Actually my experience is through raising 2 kids working a 9-12 hour a day job with 2 hours of commute time. So not based on current experience.

My point is one should be examining their sleep and nutrition honestly before supplementing for any reason.

Might not be worth you making generalizations/assumptions either.

Sometimes an honest assessment of sleep is going to result in the conclusion that a cup of coffee would be really handy before my workout. People juggle a lot of things in life. If someone is deciding to sometimes use caffeine, it's not a refusal to be honest or a lack of self-assessment.

In an ideal world, everyone would just decide to "fix their sleep" and it would happen as a result. The reality is that different people are going to try different strategies, face different challenges to their sleep, and it's not a one time "fix it and forget it" thing. I might have great sleep patterns most of the year, but still sometimes desire a pre-exercise boost.

At least you get it.

And there are several reasons to pre-workout with a supplement or drink coffee. And while i recognize that it can't replace a quality diet, it can augment a good workout plan. There is strong evidence for recovery with citrulline malate, energy with caffeine, and strength increases with creatine. And this doesn't even get into the placebo conversation which often comes from the "pump". And as much as i would love more sleep, it won't happen.

So since I can't optimize sleep, i personally have researched and use pre-workouts.
  • Jesse_Sue
    Jesse_Sue Posts: 37 Member
    No caffeinated crap for me before working out. That includes a 5AM start time before work or 5PM start time after. Fix your sleep..

It's not always easy to fix your sleep. I have a 3 and 5 year old, who aren't the best sleepers, and due to the pandemic, we have to work shifts so i am at work at 5am. And the only time i can train my wife is after our kids get to sleep.

It might be worth you not making generalization based on your current experience. Some of us have a lot more going on.

THANK YOU!!!!! Not gonna lie.... I thought the post was awful judgey....
  • Jesse_Sue
    Jesse_Sue Posts: 37 Member

Actually my experience is through raising 2 kids working a 9-12 hour a day job with 2 hours of commute time. So not based on current experience.

My point is one should be examining their sleep and nutrition honestly before supplementing for any reason.

Might not be worth you making generalizations/assumptions either.

Sometimes an honest assessment of sleep is going to result in the conclusion that a cup of coffee would be really handy before my workout. People juggle a lot of things in life. If someone is deciding to sometimes use caffeine, it's not a refusal to be honest or a lack of self-assessment.

In an ideal world, everyone would just decide to "fix their sleep" and it would happen as a result. The reality is that different people are going to try different strategies, face different challenges to their sleep, and it's not a one time "fix it and forget it" thing. I might have great sleep patterns most of the year, but still sometimes desire a pre-exercise boost.

Agreed.

I don't take a pre-workout because I am tired..... I take it for the extra fire it gives me so that I can push harder.
    Has absolutely nothing to do with my sleep.
  • Treyy_Millz_7
    Treyy_Millz_7 Posts: 29 Member
    I am using
    What's your favorite and why?

Thanks!!

I am using Repp Sports Broken Arrow - I use no more than twice a week; I find it gives me a real good push. I love the pre-workout tingles/ stimulants and I've had some real focused sessions. But I would strongly advise, using it minimally.