Is waist size largely genetics?

2»

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    I think there is probably a genetic component. Even when a healthy BMI, my spouse (male) has a waist around 34". I, however, have always had a proportionally small waist for my weight (whether normal BMI or overweight or obese). On the other hand, my cankles are huge even when I'm slim.

Same for me I have a 34" waist and i'm pretty lean, at least people around me say so.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I am short waisted as heck, and the top of my pelvic bones and the bottom of my ribcage are precisely, exactly, in line - and also 2" (not hyperbole) apart.

There is no body fat percentage where I'm going to have a well defined waist. An inward dip from the front, yes, gotten that, from the side? No. Where would it even BE?

Hello my secret twin!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    32" waist doesn't seem big to me. I'm 5'10" and I was 32" waist in the military and had abs. At my usual maintenance weight I wear a loose 34...32 is a bit tight. At my usual maintenance weight I have no love handles and only a small pooch in the lower abdomen and top 4 abs are visible in the right light. I'm a little fluffy at the moment and need to drop about 10 Lbs to get back to where I'm most comfortable...and I have zero desire to be sub 10% BF. 12-15% is perfectly fine and healthy.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    The thing listed above is an oversimplification.

It's actually waist to hips RATIO: https://www.healthline.com/health/waist-to-hip-ratio that determines a health risk.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes. Even when I was underweight my waist was 27. I have a best friend who even though she is 20-40lbs heavier than me always has a 21-25 inch waist.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    gfg0nbh29uth.jpeg
    Some people care about waist size—the requirements for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier.

I don't know what this is, but a 30 inch waist at 6'2 is highly unusual :D
  • wunderkindking
    The thing listed above is an oversimplification.

It's actually waist to hips RATIO: https://www.healthline.com/health/waist-to-hip-ratio that determines a health risk.

I know this works well for most people but it doesn't work well for people with narrow hips and wide rib cage like me. It always has told me I am super high risk even though I am at the bottom of a healthy weight for my height.

Yeah, I am one of those people. I'm built like a telephone pole - straight up and down, just with boobs. My pelvic bones and ribs are precisely in line. That said when I gain I gain mostly directly in my stomach so my stomach ends up much bigger than my hips, anyway. ...granted that was when I was obese.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    gfg0nbh29uth.jpeg
    Some people care about waist size—the requirements for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier.

This is not accurate. These are the actual physical qualifications: "Each soldier must be in superb physical condition, possess an unblemished military record and be between 5 feet, 10 inches and 6 feet, 4 inches tall for men or 5 feet, 8 inches and 6 feet, 2 inches tall for women, with a proportionate weight and build."

Some other stuff in that is untrue, like the stuff about never being able to drink again in your life, even off duty (that is what first inspired me to check it out).

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-tomb-unknown-soldier/fact-check-tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier-sentinels-must-observe-rigorous-protocols-but-can-still-drink-alcohol-off-duty-swear-in-public-idUSKBN2322DK
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Yes and no. One's frame does matter to a point. How wide one's hip structure and rib cage has an effect. And where one stores fat mostly around the midsection as well. But in most cases, if one gets their body fat percentage down lower than normal, it's possible to have a much smaller waist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • wunderkindking
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes and no. One's frame does matter to a point. How wide one's hip structure and rib cage has an effect. And where one stores fat mostly around the midsection as well. But in most cases, if one gets their body fat percentage down lower than normal, it's possible to have a much smaller waist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is basically it, actually.

I do not have an hour glass figure. I do not have a narrower waist than hips. BUT MY WAIST SIZE at 147 is a lot smaller than my waist size was at 190. It's just that in proportion to the rest of me it is about the same and I don't anticipate that changing.