Low calorie sides

kcarter2203
kcarter2203 Posts: 4 Member
Hey, I am getting bored with eating thr same things. Does anyone have some good recipes for side dishes, family friendly?

Replies

• MrsR99
    MrsR99 Posts: 11 Member
    I’m really enjoying simple veggie side dishes lately:

•Sliced tomatoes (my favorite when I want a quick side with very few calories)
    •Sweet potatoes, baked then mashed with nothing added
    •Cauliflower sautéed in a bit of olive oil with red onion and lemon juice
    •(when I’ve cooked meat in a skillet) Green beans, steamed until tender-crisp, then sautéed in the pan I used to cook whatever meat I’m eating. Just remove the meat, toss in the steamed green beans, and add a splash of wine/broth/water to deglaze the pan.
    •Red or yellow potatoes, cut into chunks then steamed until fork-tender. Toss with parsley, garlic salt, black pepper, and a little butter.
    •Simple salad of whatever lettuce and veggies I have on hand, dressed with green salsa.

Most of these just take a few minutes of prep work and are easy to fit into my dinner calories on a typical day!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm a big fan of roasted veggies. A little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper goes a long way. Squash (winter or summer), broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets. My kids are usually very willing to eat roasted vegetables, though they all have their preference.

In a few weeks we'll start being able to do sauteed fresh greens (spinach, kale, collards, chard). I usually use butter for sauteeing, again not using very much at all, but it gives a really nice flavor. I can still eat a bunch for not very many calories.

My favorite spring salad is strawberries, feta, and sliced toasted almonds on fresh greens with balsamic vinegar.
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88
    brittgreenlikethecolor88 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Cooked cabbage?!!! Chop it up, throw it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. Add garlic salt. Saute until desired tenderness acheived :p One of my favs/ go-tos for a side dish.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Whenever Mrs Jruzer asks for ideas, I always suggest fresh fruit.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Cooked cabbage?!!! Chop it up, throw it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. Add garlic salt. Saute until desired tenderness acheived :p One of my favs/ go-tos for a side dish.

Roasted cabbage is the best thing ever.
  • pcolli02
    pcolli02 Posts: 1 Member
    I love Skinny Girl salad dressing. I put it on everything. vegetables chicken. I stock several different flavors so I don't get bored.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    IDK...we usually have the normal stuff. Usually a veg of some kind (usually roasted or sautéed) and a grain or starch...potatoes, rice, quinoa, pasta, etc. No recipes really unless we're making potato salad or something.