Since on meal plan all I crave is SUGAR!!!!

I feel like I’m going crazy. I’ve been on a meal plan for about 2 weeks now to reset my metabolism which includes high protein high carb (rice carbs only) and no dairy or breads and low sugar. But since I’ve started all I want is sugar and it’s getting really frustrating!!! I’m not sure if it’s because I cut protein bars bought from the store, my nutritionist said those can be loaded with the fake sugars. But can someone maybe help me on how to fix my sugar cravings before I eat a whole box of cookies dipped in buttercream icing 😭😭 thank you in advance

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    When I get a sweet tooth, I will grab a piece of fruit or a diet soda.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Rice always makes me crave sugar. How ‘bout you?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    One thing I wanted to add is that since I can have plums and dates, I've replaced my after-meal candy with one of these (only ingredient is plum or date). I'm someone who likes to end my meal with something sweet, although lately Haven't felt the need to do so as much.
  • photorach
    photorach Posts: 8 Member
    I forgot to add that I do eat vegetables and fruits as well. Vegetables are unlimited. He put me on rice because I wasn’t eating enough, and the amount of exercise I do I burn myself out and just don’t have enough fuel causing a low metabolism. He said rice will help my glycemic index. Since starting his plan my energy levels are better and my appetite is back, so something is working. Since I made this post my sugar cravings haven’t been as bad so I think I’m finally over that hump. And by fake sugars he means the artificial refined sugars that are in those protein bars I was eating. I think cutting those protein bars is what made me crave sugar so much- it’s crazy how the body feeds off of that stuff and it will be better for me in the long run not to always have a protein bar as my go to. Before I started fueling right I would sometimes just have a protein bar for both breakfast and lunch which isn’t good, then would go to the gym after working all day
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited May 2021
    How do you really feel, Sijomial? :lol:

Love ya, I agree - but dang buddy. That's some serious picking.

To photorach, If I was trying to eat protein bars for breakfast and lunch and then gave them up I'd have a habit to break and I would likely have sugar cravings for a while too. I think protein bars have a place, but they do have a lot of added sugars and they aren't usually enough calories to sufficiently cover a meal. Plus all the other things you miss by subbing what's basically a cookie for a real meal.

I use a whey protein powder, and I have a scoop every day, but it's mostly just protein, very few carbs and low fat. I find I can't get enough protein with meals and still hit all my other goals (like low salt, sufficient fiber, and stay in calories.) So protein powder might be a thing you could consider. I never thought I'd ever use a protein powder, but to stay low salt I really need it. I used to just eat a lot of dairy and meat but I can't do that, keep my salt low, and still get to have a slice of bread.

Don't let us scare you away. We're really nice, if a bit pedantic.

(**edit - aack - and I mistyped "pedantic." LOL)
  • photorach
    photorach Posts: 8 Member
    Yeah to reply to the bottom of your comment I kind of regret making this post... 🥺