Monster Drinks or Diet Soda

13»

Replies

• PeteGamer2910
    PeteGamer2910 Posts: 1 Member
    Personally I prefer water or black coffee but I have the occasional Diet Coke with a lunch or a monster before a workout. All about moderation
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    I have a low carb Monster every morning. more for taste and habit now, I don't like coffee. Then another in the afternoon. I guess I really don't get energy from them because I could have one in evening and still go to sleep.
    I do notice in the morning after a Monster, I will get odd feeling until I eat breakfast.

My goal is to try and limit to 1.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021
    I drink about a liter of caffeine free diet soda some days. I've lost a substantial amount of weight - from obese to a healthy BMI - while doing so.

Energy drinks do bad things to my anxiety. I have 2 cups of coffee, the last one at noon. Otherwise caffeine is a no go.

But I will drink my freaking zero calorie soda until the day I die and I won't be mad if I get buried with a bottle. I LIKE IT. I'll cut it out if there are health issues that say it's bad (and there are some, but not a lot) or if I got stupid and it was my only source of hydration. For weight/fat loss purposes? Lol, no.
  • Withywarlock
    Withywarlock Posts: 4 Member
    Diet Coke for me. While energy drinks tend to promote themselves to my demographic (video game enthusiasts), they sure don't help performance. It's hard to 360 noscope someone when you're hands are shaking like a jackhammer from the sugar rush and caffeine highs and lows.
    What motivated me start drinking Diet Coke, and later more water, was the flu; the first time I had it, my regular Original Coke was too sweet, and when I had the flu-like symptoms from a vaccine lately, I found Diet Coke didn't hit the spot like water did. Going to the gym and drinking water regularly also helped, as a fizzy drink's not the sort of thing you want on a treadmill unless you fancy spending time cleaning up the stickiness.

The only problem I have with Diet Coke now is the artificial sweeteners causing cravings. I need to remind myself to drink water and find out if I'm thirsty, craving, or actually hungry.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    In terms of harm reduction, I would stick with a diet soda. There are a few healthier lines out now...I have a preference for Splenda flavored colas. But do what makes you, you. It’s not always a game or restriction.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    On a dietician's recommendation I'm off diet drinks and artificial sweeteners.

What's working well for me:

Coffee
    Seltzer Water -- It comes in many flavors and has all the fizz. Not as sweet as Diet Coke, admittedly.
    Stevia-sweetened sodas. OK, it's more expensive than Diet Coke, but it's sweet and fizzy. Oh, and caffeine.

I admittedly do miss Diet Coke, but there are substitutes that don't totally suck and have zero calories and have caffeine.

• Lazygirly
    Lazygirly Posts: 23 Member
    I might get thumbsed down from the Diet Coke lovers here lol but I would try to stay away from the Aspartame.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Lazygirly wrote: »
    I might get thumbsed down from the Diet Coke lovers here lol but I would try to stay away from the Aspartame.

Why?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Schila64 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I would get rid of the monster drink....don't they have a lot of caffeine? I drink one diet soda a day as well....i want to stop but are they really that bad? Have you tried the flavored waters that are fizzy?
    The only reason why I want yo stop the diet soda is because they are the definitely the cause of cellulite .
    Where did you hear that? Cellulite is a genetic predisposition. Diet soda has nothing to do with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Schila64 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I would get rid of the monster drink....don't they have a lot of caffeine? I drink one diet soda a day as well....i want to stop but are they really that bad? Have you tried the flavored waters that are fizzy?
    The only reason why I want yo stop the diet soda is because they are the definitely the cause of cellulite .
    Where did you hear that? Cellulite is a genetic predisposition. Diet soda has nothing to do with it.

Agree! I’ve imbibed my fair share of Diet Coke and various other Diet fizzy drinks over my rather long life, starting from the point in the 1970’s when they first appeared on the market where I live. Not even a suggestion of cellulite. I’m very grateful to genetics! Mother, sister, daughters...all cellulite free.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    If it's only 1 can of either per day, I think it doesn't really matter which one you choose, choose which ever you prefer. I drink a can of diet coke most days and occasionally a Monster.

Monster isn't really that high on the caffeine content, it's around the same as coffee per ml (160mg per 500ml can).

The FDA recommends a limit of around 400mg for healthy adults. There's no specific recommendation in the UK except for pregnant women, which is for 200mg. So presumably if they're happy enough for that to be within the realms of safe for a pregnant woman and you've no health issues, I don't see why either would be an issue for you.

As your main concern seems to be cellulite and many have pointed out that it would be difficult to pinpoint this as your cause because you've had so many other lifestyle and diet changes. I'd suggest just drink which ever you fancy.

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    deleting, decided wasn't relevant. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2021
    My picks are... Coke Zero, diet root beer, and extra strength 5hr energy.

I've drank them all when gaining weight and while losing weight. In and of themselves, they made very little difference. Weight gain was determined by the bigger picture of my overall diet and my overall exercise, not by a few drinks each day.

But to your question, if I *had* to eliminate one, it would be the 5hr energy... I can more easily replace the caffeine hit with caffeine pills than I can replace the diet soda as a drink with meals, alcohol, etc.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I agree with Ann, cellulite is more prominent the more fat you have. If you’ve been eating less healthy, I’m guessing you’ve also gained some weight. Here’s a mayo clinic article on what causes cellulite: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cellulite/symptoms-causes/syc-20354945

In terms of what you drink — so long as it is in your calorie allotment for the day, drink what you want to drink.
    For me personally, I don’t like carbonated drinks (even sparkling water).
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Lazygirly wrote: »

I wish they weren't shoving that damned stevia into everything "healthy" these days, it gives me nasty stomach pain. Sucralose or aspartame, no problems at all.
  • Godlord1488
    Godlord1488 Posts: 37 Member
    only negative about diet pop and diet energy drinks is the BLOATING
    does anyone else get massively bloated?:\
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

And they can easily result in one exceeding the recommended max of 400 mg of caffeine a day (especially the energy drinks).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

And they can easily result in one exceeding the recommended max of 400 mg of caffeine a day (especially the energy drinks).

Energy drinks yes but Coke Zero, for example, has 34 mg of caffeine per 355 ml so someone would have to drink a lot of it to exceed 400 mg of caffeine a day (unless they get a lot of caffeine from another source)