Being ACTIVE and being safe.

My second bike ride for the year. As nurse my exercise time is all over the place so I take the time to keep myself healthy.

yvdtehp98axg.jpeg
ypzg5pgao0c9.png

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Nice area. I'm based in NJ USA, but visit family up in the Orleans section of Eastern Ottawa - when we can. It's been over a year now, and likely to be longer the way things are going. I ride more on that side, but did some poking around Brittannia Beach area in the last summer (2019) we were up there. Wanted to expand my trails repertoire.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited May 2021
    All of the general advice about physical security is good above. While I talk about my home locale, or places I go to, I never pre-announce, and I never publish GPS traces that include my home for those rides when I start or finish there (even apps' "privacy zone" settings I don't rely on, I just don't publish). I post about big trips, such as my Canada adventures, after I return. And critical info never gets shared. All good. But also, sharing common goals, sites, experiences is part of the beneficial community/social aspect, as long as you remember the old poet's advice (Frost?): "Good fences make good neighbors." LOL.

I break security occasionally to physically meet people I've communicated with online, but I follow the same strict guidelines I laid down for my kids. I've not had any problems doing this, have met some wonderful people I stay in touch with (and wish the rest a good life, far, far, away, LOL). But then again, I'm in a different place than others might be relative to this activity, and recognize that risk acceptance is different for different people.

About masks: I'm in a couple of higher-risk categories, so I've been following fairly strict protocols on contact, distancing, mask, etc., while pursuing my riding. Riding is a core component of my fitness journey, as befits this website. As I am now fully vaccinated, I've feel good enough to use a buff rather than mask, while riding where proximity encounters to other trail users is a factor, and also carry an accessible substantial mask for any meeting or non-social distancing occasions. And yes, I know buffs are not of the standard; I carry full N95 "duckbill" and a couple of KN95 in my kit for those situations. I don't usually touch anything I don't need to, use gloves when I can, eat and drink only what I have brought and carry sufficient PPE and cleansers that I regularly resort to using a multicompartment rack trunk where a saddlebag (for tools) previously sufficed.

"Multicompartment" is critical, as I keep "clean" and "exposed" items separate. In this regard, it helps being married to a nurse who lives the strict protocols day in and day out. Since part of my riding involves a volunteer assistive role on the trails, I have had to evolve good practices for actual trail user engagement. For instance, the other day, I helped someone use a trailside repair kiosk. This meant gearing up in PPE in the same manner as if I were a First Responder in a first aid situation. Then transitioning back to my own riding setup after cleanup. Plus of course the home-arrival shower-and-laundry cycle. I can discuss about covid fatigue sometime because of this, LOL.

Picture: Sandy Hook National Recreation Area, NJ USA, and my multicompartment rack trunk.

bu0mz6d20j04.jpg
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2021
    I think your level of risk assessment is broken.

a face mask to save you from what?

yet no helmet.

put on a helmet. please.

If you're talking about the picture of the OP it appears she is inside a house, or possibly a screened in porch. Helmet most likely not needed. Mask probably not needed in that situation either unless she wants to protect her identity. But then the shared map.
  • leonoraoropesa
    leonoraoropesa Posts: 41 Member
    I don’t know what gives you the assumptions that I need a helmet inside my house. Don’t worry I know how to be safe it’s part of my job for 33 years now I had been a nurse. But thank you anyway. Have a nice day. 😊
  • leonoraoropesa
    leonoraoropesa Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2021
    To those people commenting

yet no helmet.

put on a helmet. please.

yet no helmet.

put on a helmet. please.

Thank you I had been a nurse for 33 years & I think my level of risk assessment is on par as I’m a team leader in a bombing in Saudi Arabia as a nurse. So your assumptions is WRONG.
    You commented without assessing properly I’m inside my own house so I don’t need a HELMET. I put a mask not to hide my identity but for my family, friends and those who would listen that wearing a MASk if SOCIAL DISTANCING is not FEASIBLE to help on lessening the burden on spreading COVID 19. As a NURSE it’s a solemn oath to do NO HARM so it might be SIMPLE WAY of SUBLIMINALLY asking people to be careful, mindful and conscientiously be aware NOT everyone is physiologically built the same.
    I hope that SATISFIES your CURIOSITY and I keep ACTIVE because NURSES don’t HAVE TIME to look after themselves as they CARE FOR OTHER PEOPLE FIRST. That’s the VOCATION that NURSES have to do so DON’T STRESS your LIFE how I look after MYSELF.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.
    The forum guidelines include this item:
    1. Play Nice
    I WILL:
    • I will be respectful and understand that everyone is different. Some members are new to this, so be kind to the newbies.
    • I will remember the human on the other side of the screen.
    • I will share my opinions while respecting others' thoughts and feelings as well.
    • I will be ready to hear and accept other opinions that I might not always agree with.
    • I will ignore users.

I WON’T:
    • I won’t be a jerk.
    • I will not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. I can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but I cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the member’s spelling or command of written English, belittling a member for posting a duplicate discussion, or attacking a member for posting in an older discussion. (ie. It’s lose not loose, strong first post, didn’t you already post this today, etc.) Not every member has the same level of education, so I’ll refrain from criticizing a member for not framing their content in a manner befitting a university-level science paper.
    • I won’t pick apart how something is said; I will focus on the meaning/message.
    If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.