Too embarrassed to wear a Swimsuit...

Replies

• beastm34
    beastm34 Posts: 12
    oh and also!!! i know this girl (not too well though) and she is a rather large girl. she wears a bikini and runs around without a care in the world!! hahaha at first you look at her and go "yikes why is she wearing that!" but then you see how she wears it (attitude-wise) and it works and you can't help but smile and give her props! I still recommend the bathing suits on modcloth but encourage you to pretend like your confident even if your not because it comes across a lot different. it's easy to spot self consciousness
  • I know the feeling of not wanting anyone to see you. I never liked going to the beach and wearing a swim suit. Only recently did I finally wear a swim suit and at first it wasn't bad but after a while you don't really mind it anymore. It feels sort of empowering almost, but I think I'll feel better when I lose the weight.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    I'm "fit" and by no means overweight, and I don't feel comfortable out in public in a bikini so I just wear my jean shorts and a tank top over it. No one cares.
  • prism3
    prism3 Posts: 10
    Target has some good one piece swimsuits. I FELT EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, and I'm 200 + lbs!

http://www.target.com/c/one-piece-swimsuits-swimwear-clothing/-/N-5xtbu

Another good thing I did so I'm not as self conscious is get some healthy sun tan (it's summertime so hopefully there is alot of sun where you are.) If you're fair-skinned, even just 10-15 minutes of sun exposure has your cells producing 10,000 IUs of vitamin D. I don't exactly know what it means but the health nuts say it's good for you.

Being tanner and wearing the one-piece suit made me way less self conscious then wearing a bikini. Some even have cute skirts to pull down. Besides if you're so worried about what other people think it will be a road block to your progress to losing weight. So keep going!

<3 Tina
  • Krissi921
    Krissi921 Posts: 62 Member
    I don't like wearing a suit either - but with 3 kids, sometimes I just have to not give a crap what other people think and get in the water so I can enjoy being with my kids.
    Three great sites with cute, more covered up suits are:

http://www.limericki.com/
    http://www.shabbyapple.com
    http://downeastbasics.com

Almost everyone I know wears either shorts or a skirt these days so I don't ever feel out of place. It's still hard I know, but at least you know you are here working on it to make it easier. Be proud of yourself!! :smile:
  • Mandersatms
    Mandersatms Posts: 2 Member
    I know how you feel! I have always been on the heavier side. My dad would always make comments about how many calories were on my plate and remind me of my weight problem when we were at bbqs and other social gatherings. It mortified me. I grew up on a lake though and I always loved to swim. I know exactly what you mean with feeling self conscience, I am currently overweight, though I am working hard to lose the extra pounds. What I did was find a beautiful Marilyn Monroe like suit. It is very flattering. I believe she was a size 16 and she was gorgeous! As some people have already said, people are going to be doing their own thing and worrying about themselves. They most likely wont notice whatever you think your flaws might be. :smile:
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    i would wear my shorts and top and tell them that i don't wear bathing suits...when i went on vacation to the Dominican Republic i wore a bathing suit with a full cover and went into the ocean with the cover on....i never took the cover off...

since i was a little girl i was self conscious about showing my body.....so i cover up...

i sometimes wish i could get those full body swimsuits that athletes wear but i'm so tall they probably won't make them long enough for me...and at my current weight they probably would not come in my size...

i'm learning that the healthy thing is to not do anything you don't want to do...if you want to be with them...maybe dress how you are comfortable and go...they will forget all about it once you are in the water...if not...then you are probably doing the right thing declining...

Best wishes...:flowerforyou:
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    So my friends have been asking me to go swimming to the lake with them.. and i keep saying no, because I dont feel comfortable being there in a swimsuit, with my (35 pound overweight) skin showing.

I know i could wear a shirt and shorts but all my friends are thin.. so it would be weird around them, wearing that... and they are not my super close friends.. so i cant really tell them about it... so instead i just dont go...

Does anyone else feel this way?
    What can i do?

My $0.02 and probably not entirely on topic.

If you don't want to wear a swimsuit, use the shirt and shorts option you mentioned or one of the other options others have mentioned. Being uncomfortable is a short term thing to deal with. The regret you'll feel having missed out on because you were too self conscious to participate will last forever.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    I have struggled with this my entire life. So listen to me. Go and have fun. You are not what you look like in a bathing suit. Your weight does not define who you are or what you will become. I can remember a million times where my insecurities kept me from enjoying myself. I decided when I was 25 that what everyone else thought really didn't matter. I found the strength to flip everyone else off and waddle my fat rear onto the beach in a two piece bathing suit. I never looked back. You will be a million times happier if you accept yourself. You can wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt or an adorable one piece bathing suit to the lake. Go buy you a new suit. I'm a mom of two and a self proclaimed fashionista so I don't wear anything other than adorable one piece suits with a low cleavage line :)

Go live life!! And if anyone gives you grief, well, flip 'em off.

^^This :)

Life is too short. Nothing about the way you look should have the power to hold you back from what you want to do.
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    I know I am chiming in late but I went on my first 2 cruises and put a suit on then never left my room on my 3rd I decided to wear a swim dress as it was the most appropriate for my fat self to be more covered and spent all day at the beach. Really I decided it was not like people (I was with about 20 family members) thought I was skinny no matter what I wore. Your friends know what size you are with or without clothing on. Go have fun :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    wear it anyway. we should all do things we're uncomfortable with sometimes so that we can get over our hangups. 35lbs isn't that big, after all.. so own it.

if you can't go that far, then wear shorts & a shirt, but for heaven's sake, girl, go swimmin!
  • lorijh72
    lorijh72 Posts: 118 Member
    I have struggled with this my entire life. So listen to me. Go and have fun. You are not what you look like in a bathing suit. Your weight does not define who you are or what you will become. I can remember a million times where my insecurities kept me from enjoying myself. I decided when I was 25 that what everyone else thought really didn't matter. I found the strength to flip everyone else off and waddle my fat rear onto the beach in a two piece bathing suit. I never looked back. You will be a million times happier if you accept yourself. You can wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt or an adorable one piece bathing suit to the lake. Go buy you a new suit. I'm a mom of two and a self proclaimed fashionista so I don't wear anything other than adorable one piece suits with a low cleavage line :)

Go live life!! And if anyone gives you grief, well, flip 'em off.
    Totally and complety agree, flip them off and tell them to stick it up there azzez!!!! Your a very beautiful girl, head held high Doll and shake it :-)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I've always been self conscious in a swimsuit! I just wear a tankini orbikini with a tank top and board shorts (not the ones that go to the knees, but the ones that are like regular shorts length). Girls who are a little overweight have great curves and could definitely rock a swimsuit! It's just about choosing the right one.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    I understand where you're coming from but don't hold yourself back. You're worth more than that! Let yourself have fun and enjoy life during your weight loss journey :)
  • andforpoise
    andforpoise Posts: 185
    It's sad that a lot of people feel this way... I'm in the same boat, even after losing nearly 50 lbs... still not comfortable... I keep telling myself that it's more of a modesty thing :P then I don't feel so bad... but I don't think that really helps either
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    bump
  • Nimbette2
    Nimbette2 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2021
    This is many years later, but still rings true for me. I envy the ladies that wear a swimsuit - thongs even - when overweight. I have a group of acquaintances that love to go to the hotel pools and beaches a lot and I am the only one not comfortable in a swimsuit. I do the board shorts and tank and they always ridicule me over it. It is gotten to the point that I just go do that alone now. It is easier and makes me feel so much better emotionally. I have a Hangup about it and I am tired of having to explain it each time I go with them. Some people do care and make fun and comments .. so you have to be careful when you decide to go .. be ready in case you are questioned. I am over it and will stop going to those events for a while. I also bought a house with a pool so I can swim on my own terms.
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    Nimbette2 wrote: »
    I do the board shorts and tank and they always ridicule me over it.
    Well then those friends suck and I'd drop them as friends. Ridiculing is outside of what a friend should be.
    But back to your choice of swimwear, you just might be thankful in years to come that you are more covered now while in the sun. Skin cancer is no fun later on. There are fashionable sun protection styles, that also are a good alternative to bikinis for those who want less of their body exposed. j057xrzw17mb.png

• GamaHealth
    GamaHealth Posts: 5 Member
    I’m sorry that happened to you. It happens to me all the time with my family too. How do they expect us to go out and exercise when they make us feel ashamed of being out in public? I suggest you go to a nice plus size store like Torrid, my favorite go to store for bathing suits, and look for something high waisted or a full coverage bathing suit. There are covers you can wear over them too. The bathing suits have made me feel beautiful in the past. I’m sure you will find something that can make you feel beautiful too. Also try changing your attitude. Make a statement in front of everyone like “damnn I look good” if someone makes fun of you, tell them “I’ll eat you alive, don’t play with me.” Or pull them aside and tell them “that’s not okay,” if they listen, you’ve gained a true friend, if not, all you can do is stay away from them. But don’t be afraid to make friends and ask for support on your journey. Everyone is made differently and being obese doesn’t mean we have a lack of control. Our genes, environment, personality all have a part in our eating habits. But we have a lot more control than we think and a social group will only encourage us to keep going. Do not get discouraged to make friends. I’m sure they invited you because you’re super cool in the inside. (You are you and I am me. I wasn’t made for you, and you weren’t made for me. I accept you for who you are and I hope you accept me for who I am.)