Less Alcohol - MAY 2021 - One Day At A Time

Replies

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited May 2021
    May accountability: 1/31 days AF
    Alcohol: 3 days (8 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

5/1 - 4 ... 1 beer + 3 wine
    5/2 - 1 margarita
    5/3 - AF
    5/4 - 3 … 2 wine + 1 rum & diet coke
    5/5 - Meeting up this evening with “Sisters Who Sip” for Cinco de Mayo at Be More Pacific - Filipino Kitchen and Bar. Our first monthly gathering in over a year. Plan is to limit myself to one cocktail.
    https://bemorepacifickitchenandbar.com/covid-19-menu
    5/6 - Virtual Whiskey Experience Tasting w/ DH’s team from work (samples provided)
    5/7 -
    5/8 - Hosting Mimosa Brunch Bridal Shower (providing non-alcoholic champagne option)

Challenging weeks ahead for food and drink as everyone gets back into the gathering mode and all my retirement activities kick back into high gear. Alumnae group which has monthly meeting as well as monthly bookclub, sisters who sip, dining out opportunities! I chair the book club. Then another alumnae group of ladies ... that also meet monthly where wine is usually involved. And I can't forget neighborhood bunco and another book club! Thank goodness for Lady Clay Shooters ... we don't drink or eat when shooting rounds of sporting clays.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    5/1 - 2 wine
    5/2 - AF
    5/3 - AF

Went into the office yesterday. Around 11:30 I started having hot and cold flashes, my back got very achy, and I felt so physically tired that I was swaying like I was tipsy and had to focus on taking one step at a time going up the stairs. It was freaky. My husband took me home (so glad we work together because driving would have been scary) and I crawled in bed and fell asleep almost right away. Felt better after a long nap, feel fine today. I was super anxious I got a breakthrough case of Covid, but I never had a fever, and with how poorly I've been sleeping it was probably just exhaustion. Fingers crossed that today's a more normal day!

I hope your feeling better @chocolate_owl. Both my husband and I had "after shocks" from our covid injections around the 10 day mark. It wasn't as severe as the 24 hr period right after the vaccine. Although it did set us back a little.
    That was lucky you had a ride hone and did not have to drive.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    Hello to all!
    Today will be our last day visiting my sister and BIL up near Columbus OH, then we drive south to visit my daughter and family down towards Cincinnati OH. We will stay with them until Saturday when we will fly home.

So far AF for the month of May (and on vacation too) so this is a rolling 7 days AF

@MissMay I wish derby day around me were a thing, I would love to dress up and make my own hats!

will drop in when I can

@lmlmrn you are in my old neck of the woods. OHIO! I was born there and lived for 22 years. The Spring flowers and shrubs must be beautiful right now. Have fun.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    Happy Cinco de Mayo! In the spirit of the holiday, I am making fish tacos with homemade guacamole.

If the Mexicans didn't beat the French in the war at Puebla back in the 1800s, what would've happened? There was another war the Mexicans won over the Spanish, but that one didn't become a drinking holiday, so I wonder why.....hmmm

Looking forward to making mint chutney Dawn....it looks like a great low-calorie accompaniment to just basic potatoes or rice or chicken.

Yesterday was AF and same for today.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    Hello to all!
    Today was our last day visiting my sister and BIL up near Columbus OH, then we drive south to visit my daughter and family down towards Cincinnati OH. We will stay with them until Saturday when we will fly home.

So far AF for the month of May (and on vacation too) so this is a rolling 7 days AF

@MissMay I wish derby day around me were a thing, I would love to dress up and make my own hats!

will drop in when I can
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    Hello to all!
    Today will be our last day visiting my sister and BIL up near Columbus OH, then we drive south to visit my daughter and family down towards Cincinnati OH. We will stay with them until Saturday when we will fly home.

will drop in when I can

@lmlmrn you are in my old neck of the woods. OHIO! I was born there and lived for 22 years. The Spring flowers and shrubs must be beautiful right now. Have fun.

Spring is most definitely in the air in OH. I dam so surprised at how green and pretty it is. I have gone from the hilly north to the flatter south. I can see why folks flock to move here. But have to say it is a long way between 'towns' LOL

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.
    Saturday to Wednesday nights AF.
    Allowing myself a few drinks Thursday and Friday nights.

My daily check in:
    Saturday May 01 - AF - Working a split tomorrow at the restaurant.
    Sunday May 02 - AF - Planning on AF until Thursday
    Monday May 03 - AF - Early and long day tomorrow, going to try not to have a wee drink afterward.
    Tuesday May 04 - 2 drinks. I didn't make it my 5AF in a row this week like I did the 2 or 3 previous weeks.
    Wednesday May 05 - AF - I had planned to have drinks tomorrow, Thursday, but since I had 2 last night I am re-evaluating.

Rolling total: 4AF out of 5 days
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oh my ... now I remember those days ... Sisters Who Sip monthly gatherings are back in full swing. Alumnae group ages 23-85 from many different schools. I was the oldest of the group last night. One dear friend close to my age is moving to Scotland in June hence I wanted to go and say goodbye. Lots of fun talking to everyone, getting to know the newbies, finding out how their jobs are going, changes in their lives, sharing pictures of my daughter's anniversary party, advising when asked about having children when I was in my 30s, terms I've not heard preload (active couple before kids) vs post load (having kids at early age and active couple in your 40s-50s) ... most were getting married in their 30s not 20s ... some were never planning to marry, catching up on all the pandemic romances LOL

I bought one drink (Morejito - rum haven, pineapple juice, mint, lime juice) but then accepted the tequila shot the restaurant sent over to each of us along with a Maestro DOBEL Tequila t-shirt. I sipped instead of downing it with the rest of the ladies.

The others were ordering 2-6 drinks during the 2.5 hrs. One lady had her husband walk over to drive her home after she had a few too many plus ordered a to go cup margarita. Half the group walked down to another bar when I left.

Not something I plan to do every month but it was fun to see those that came out. Restaurant/Bar worked well in that there was lots of outdoor space and the interior was open to the exterior with open floor to ceiling full wall glass doors.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    Hello group! This is my first post :smile:
    Today is day 3 of being AF. So far it's been ok and I'm already enjoying the benefits of no alcohol. I decided to go AF for awhile (no set goals yet) to fix a few things in my life:
    - Drinking prevents me from exercising the nex mornnig as I feel awful and low energy when I awake.
    - Drinking causes me to sneak to the kitchen late night to eat everything I can find.
    - Drinking is becoming an expensive habit
    I need to feel that I am in control of my life, and being AF certainly helps encourage that feeling!

Well said! Life gets happier not drinking...energy in the morning, better snack control, and more $$$$!!