Hello!

Hi guys,

Starting a thread here because I figured if I feel like I'm part of a community it will help me stick to my goal better.

I'm probably one of very few people here who doesn't really care about losing my weight, but rather I want to lose my tummy fat. I am 5'3, used to be 170 lbs last year, but thank to covid and free time, I worked out a lot and reached 120 lbs at my peak, although due to a combination of stress, lack of free time due to work and bad eating habit I am now at 130 lb. I'm here on MFP after having an appointment with a nutritionist last week, I wanted to take a new approach as to how I want to view myself. Instead of focusing so much on how much I weight on any given day, I wanted to focus on what I'm eating, working out to build muscle and reduce my body fat instead.

Please feel free to hit me up if you want someone to help you take accountability (and help me too! scream at me if I skip workout or take a cheat day or something lol). Nice to meet you all.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Welcome to MFP, Jacqueline! While I'm a touch taller than you, my goals and interests are similar (prioritizing body fat reduction and lean muscle gain metrics over weight loss).

In addition to making MFP friends, you may want to consider semi-private groups like the monthly Ultimate Accountability Challenge (UAC)
  • JacquelineCharmander
    JacquelineCharmander Posts: 38 Member
    Thank you so much MaltedTea, I didn't even know that was a thing, I joined that now.
  • JacquelineCharmander

I have not. I am in the process of trying to figure out my Body fat percentage (trying to schedule a test right now in my local area but unfortunately I don't live in a big city so I don't have a lot of option). But I looked at the link you sent and that does make sense to me. Although I do want to wait to hear more from my nutritionist before proceed (I only had 1 appointment with her so far and it was focusing on my eating habit)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    Are you in the USA?

In the US, “Dietician” is a degreed professional.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, even someone pushing a multi-level-marketing product or who has bought an online certificate.

Make sure your nutritionist is properly qualified.

I only did three visits to a Registered Dietician but they were game changers. I went in armed with a list of questions, followed her suggestions for a month, and then barraged her with a new list.

It’s amazing to me how little I knew about my body and nutritional needs. Still learning.
  • JacquelineCharmander
    Are you in the USA?

In the US, “Dietician” is a degreed professional.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, even someone pushing a multi-level-marketing product or who has bought an online certificate.

Make sure your nutritionist is properly qualified.

I only did three visits to a Registered Dietician but they were game changers. I went in armed with a list of questions, followed her suggestions for a month, and then barraged her with a new list.

It’s amazing to me how little I knew about my body and nutritional needs. Still learning.

Yup! My nutritionist is a registered dietitian, MS, RDN, CDN apparently according to her profile. So far she haven't really given me any reason to doubt her credential yet, considering she wasn't some random stranger I found on the internet but a registered nutritionist employed by the corporate I work for.
  • springlering62
    edited May 2021
    Awesome! Carry on!

Just wanted to mention it because we often have people here who just bought a case of some product or another, recommended by a “nutritionist” who’s selling it.

Take a list of questions. I keep mine on the notes on my phone. I can go back now, reread, and giggle at some of the insanely stupid stuff I asked at the time, but hey, had to start somewhere!

And KUDOS to your employer for offering her assistance.

My RD literally had a tear running down her cheek the last time she saw me. That’s when it hit me that our success is meaningful to them, too, in what must be a thankless job sometimes.
  • JacquelineCharmander
    Awesome! Carry on!

Just wanted to mention it because we often have people here who just bought a case of some product or another, recommended by a “nutritionist” who’s selling it.

Take a list of questions. I keep mine on the notes on my phone. I can go back now, reread, and giggle at some of the insanely stupid stuff I asked at the time, but hey, had to start somewhere!

And KUDOS to your employer for offering her assistance.

My RD literally had a tear running down her cheek the last time she saw me. That’s when it hit me that our success is meaningful to them, too, in what must be a thankless job sometimes.

That's amazing! I do expect to meet with my nutritionist a lot over the course of the year, I think get 10 free session with her per year as part of our benefit for working at my company so I'm spacing it out to meet with her every 3-4 weeks for now to give time between each appointment to actually attempt what was suggested. But I do hope that the more I meet with her the better I become at managing my diet and weight.

Not once had my nutriotionist attempted to sell me anything,so please don't worry. I really appreciate you looking out for me though!
  • springlering62
    edited May 2021
    Your RD won’t. That’s the beauty of them. Legit and educated!