Pain when i do deadlifts

deniscristian04
deniscristian04 Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello guys,
2 weeks ago I've started doing gym for the first time in my life (I'm 25) everything was fine, but last Tuesday I tried to do some "deadlifts" unfortunately I've had a little pain in Inguinal zone i felt like something is burning something very hot but and I stopped. Two days later I tried again and still pain I don't understand what the problem is because I can do Squats with Barbell like 50 kg
And I don't get that pain, first I did Squats and then I tried deadlift then I continued with leg press and I haven't got any pain.. I don't get pain when I'm running or walking I can do any movement without any pain.

Basically, I can do any exercise just deadlift hold me back.
I did some research and i found that i may have a problem with "hip flexor" because I sit at desk most of the time.
Please if someone knows or had this problem give me an advice or i might go to hospital :)

I've attached a photo with the zone
Sorry for my English is not my native language. :)

ul4le5m2pza7.jpg

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    If you are doing exercises for the first time, lift light. Form is far more important than weight. Do it in front of a mirror, make sure you have the correct form then build up weight. And start light. 10kg max per hand. And slowly build up
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Also if you're getting groin pain, it could be some mild sciatica. Also check for hernia.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    A dear departed friend of mine who did martial arts had a saying : "Pain is your friend. It tells your body to stop doing stupid stuff."

(Note: Does not apply to all pain. Arthritis, for example.)

Saying that, I'm not a medical professional so I can't diagnosis what the pain is. It might well be too heavy too fast, incorrect form, issues with your hip flexor, problem with another area that radiates to another are, and more.

But the first step is if an exercise hurts, STOP.
  • Forgon60
    Forgon60 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2021
    Most aspiring solo athletes do not perform deadlifts correctly. Therefore, they more often than others complain of pain in the lower back and back muscles. I would recommend that you contact your trainer to show you the technique. Perhaps the reason is too heavy working weights. Equipment such as compression garments and a belt which you can see in warmbody-coldmind.com should also not be forgotten. Remember also about proper nutrition and rest.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Hello guys,
    2 weeks ago I've started doing gym for the first time in my life (I'm 25) everything was fine, but last Tuesday I tried to do some "deadlifts" unfortunately I've had a little pain in Inguinal zone i felt like something is burning something very hot but and I stopped. Two days later I tried again and still pain I don't understand what the problem is because I can do Squats with Barbell like 50 kg
    And I don't get that pain, first I did Squats and then I tried deadlift then I continued with leg press and I haven't got any pain.. I don't get pain when I'm running or walking I can do any movement without any pain.

Basically, I can do any exercise just deadlift hold me back.
    I did some research and i found that i may have a problem with "hip flexor" because I sit at desk most of the time.
    Please if someone knows or had this problem give me an advice or i might go to hospital :)

I've attached a photo with the zone
    Sorry for my English is not my native language. :)

ul4le5m2pza7.jpg

there are many thing that could be causing the problem, probably more things than we could think of. you could have sore muscles, torn a muscle, could have disturbed a hernia you didn't know you had and the pain is referred. if the pain doesn't go away soon, have a doctor check it out. if it does go away soon, but it comes back after you work out, it might be worth working with a physical therapist to define the issue and strengthen the area.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Check with a doctor for sure. Maybe a physical therapist? Hip/groin can be so many things.

I had pain in the bone area there, hip impingement - bothered me on squats not deadlifts. I did stretches, but mostly I worked on my ankle mobility.
  • deniscristian04
    deniscristian04 Posts: 2 Member
    I will take a break from doing deadlifts 2 weeks maybe i lifted to heavy from the first
    I'll try after i still don't get any pain from running or lifting doing others exercises or maybe i did it in the wrong way even though i watched some videos on youtube before i did it
  • Forgon60
    Forgon60 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2021
    Most aspiring solo athletes do not perform deadlifts correctly. Therefore, they more often than others complain of pain in the lower back and back muscles. I would recommend that you contact your trainer to show you the technique. Perhaps the reason is too heavy working weights. Equipment such as compression garments and a belt which you can see in warmbody-coldmind.com should also not be forgotten. Remember also about proper nutrition and rest.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2021
    Unless you experienced trauma....I would lower the intensity and/or volume. If you felt so ething "pop" then surely go to the doctor or if you feel you need to. Otherwise practice self efficacy and perhaps the following info below might be useful.

What you are describing is pretty common for someone who isn't practicing proper load management to a novel lift.

You stating you tried deadlifting twice in three days is more stress than needed for that movement. Someone who just started lifting only needs to perform 1-2 sets of 5-8 reps that is challenging but not extremely hard AND ONLY once a week.

If you are doing more I 2ould look into your programming and how you regulate the stimulus.

I have a "form check" thread you can also read and post a video. It will give me a good idea if the intensity is appropriate for your working set(s).