Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    One needs to "hydrate" and/or bring a water bottle for a 30 minute leisurely walk around the neighborhood.

That doesn't sound silly to me - I guess not something you absolutely need, depending on the climate but seems sensible especially in hot weather.

Muslins have fasted from sunrise to sunset in observation of Ramadan for centuries (which includes no water) in all sorts of climates doing all sorts of activities

Again no need to hydrate on a leisure 30 minute walk around the neighborhood..

Leaving religious practices aside - yes I agreed there is no NEED for it for most people in most conditions - but doesnt seem a silly idea and indeed seems a very sensible idea in hot conditions.

Ive done a 5km fun run/walk (takes me about 40 minutes to walk it) and water stations are set up along the route.

If I am going by myself, doesn't seem silly to take my own water

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    One needs to "hydrate" and/or bring a water bottle for a 30 minute leisurely walk around the neighborhood.

Agreed. I normally walk for an hour and I need to restrict water intake for about 30 minutes prior to heading out as there are no public restrooms on my walk route and water goes straight through me. (Although this tactic may be unique to middle-aged lady bladders) If it's very hot outside I do carry a water bottle but don't drink until after the halfway point or my "walk" turns into a sprint.

I have to do the same......
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

That doesn't sound silly to me - I guess not something you absolutely need, depending on the climate but seems sensible especially in hot weather.

Muslins have fasted from sunrise to sunset in observation of Ramadan for centuries (which includes no water) in all sorts of climates doing all sorts of activities

Again no need to hydrate on a leisure 30 minute walk around the neighborhood..

I'm not super familiar with Ramadan fasting but it's my understanding that there are lots of exemptions from the strictest requirements. I don't believe it's every single person regardless of age or health.

(My experience with this is Christian fasting seasons of Lent and Advent. The restrictions are much looser now for many [and many don't observe at all], but the idea that is that with fewer restrictions, more people can participate. In the past, when restrictions were much more intensive, fewer people fasted. And for even those who were in very good health, the idea was often that there was that there was an ideal to strive for, but that many would not meet it. [And water has always been permitted.])

I do prefer to take water with me but fwiw I don't think I'll die without it. If I forget, it's fine. It's just a matter of comfort, especially in hot weather. In the summer I'm much more likely to want it than a cool spring or fall day.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Can't remember whether someone mentioned this on the thread before (maybe even me) and not so much a myth as a misunderstanding:

* White flour (and derivatives) and things of that ilk are simple carbs
    * Fruits are complex carbs
    * Cookies, chocolate, alcohol are "carbs" (worse yet, pizza is "a carb")

No.

Piggy back off of this... there was a thread on Friday where someone called ice cream a simple carb... DOH!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You have to workout in the "fat-burning zone" to burn fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I’ve just had a fairly heated argument with my husband about this one, this morning. He’s been banging on about it for weeks and I ‘snapped’. 🤦‍♀️

And l will add this myth that I don’t think has been mentioned yet:

‘You have to eat only the foods appropriate for your blood type in order to lose weight’

🅰️🅱️🆎🅾️ 🙄
    Lol, on the blood type diet. So many scams out there and many unknowledgeable people fall for them because they don't really science.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    The Blood Type Diet is my absolute favorite goofy diet.