Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @trinati2001 -- I am doing 14:10 IF--usually eat between noon and 10 PM. I just have coffee in the morning (it's a bit of a cheat because I use sugar free creamer in it), and my lunch break at work is noon. It's just me and the hubs, and he works a weird schedule, so it's usually not an issue. He goes to bed about 7 pm, so we usually eat dinner around 5 pm. Then, if I'm still hungry and have available calories I snack, cutting myself off about 9 or 10 PM.

@JNettie73 -- I have been active in this thread and the previous iteration since 2011. I remember you!! Love your list of NSVs!! I need to start focusing on some of those goals, and you've inspired me to make a list. Susan and I are friends on Facebook, and she's doing well. I think the other person you are remembering is Laurie. We are also friends on Facebook, and she's also doing great. The 3 of us met up in NYC several years ago for the Tunnel to Towers 5k, and both of them have come to Chicago where we've met up. Susan came for a work conference once, and we spent some time together sightseeing. Laurie came one spring so we could run the Shamrock Shuffle.

@aimeemarie150 -- you hit the nail on the head! The main reason I don't post in the thread is that I tend to log on my phone. Since covid, I've had to spend so much time on my laptop that I try to limit it in the evenings. I can't wait until I no longer have to Zoom with students all day!!!

@bapcarrier -- Hi! So good to see you back as well! I will post a picture of Gunner's DNA results--totally forgot to do that.

Hi everyone! I tried to start posting again in March, and then I kept checking and there were no new posts for a while, so I kind of gave up. Tonight, I decided to check and was so excited to see all of the activity from old and new members. I am guilty of forgetting to check in, but I'm going to try to do better.

This week has been pretty crappy food-wise and sticking with my 14:10 intermittent fasting goal. My school really dropped the ball doing anything for Teacher Appreciation Week, so my colleagues have tried to compensate by bringing in a bunch of not so healthy treats. I've had so much sugar this week--ugh! I feel sluggish and bloated as a result which I guess is a good sign that my body isn't used to so many sweets.

We just have a few more weeks of school (last day is June 1st), so I'm really looking forward to an end to this nightmare of a year. I know it's been tough on everyone--teachers, students, and parents alike--and I feel like we are all just so ready for it to be over.

My immediate goal is to get back to consistent 14:10 IF. All of the donuts and scones and cookies were so tempting to enjoy with my morning coffee. This next week, I will be more disciplined about avoiding that trap.

Longer term, I really need to get back into an exercise routine. I walk Gunner everyday, but I haven't been running at all since the gym shut down last March--I've gotten in a few sporadic runs here and there, but not on any regular basis. I'm going to try to get back into a regular running schedule outside now that the weather will allow it. If that doesn't stick, I may rejoin the gym since I'm fully vaccinated.

My weight has continued to fluctuate between 197-199--I will start tracking here weekly again.

Some goals for this week:
    1. No morning snacking--wait until noon to eat!!
    2. Drink more water!!! I've been really bad about this lately.
    3. Go for a run this weekend.

Karen
    SW = 247 (March 2011)
    Weight on 1/1/2021 = 207.4
    GW: 185 (my previous low)

5/7/21 = 198.4
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    As promised--here are Gunner's DNA results. We laughed so hard at the Yorkie and MinPin! :D

t92br0cjkxd2.jpg
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    @trinati2001 - Triggers are the worst for me. One of my triggers is stress which leads to comfort eating and over indulging. It has been a pretty stressful week. I am proud of myself that I didn't fall into my old habits. Though I have to admit I may have sampled some of my daughter's candy from the Easter bunny. I only took 2 robin eggs and that was enough to hit the spot. I didn't log them because I don't know what the caloric value of them would be.

@Sandytoes71 I have an open diary but I don't bother completing my food log each night. Feel free to add me.
    I was having a hungry day the other day too. No matter how much I ate I was not satisfied.

@skinnyjeanzbound Yes, Laurie!!! I am so glad to hear you still keep in contact with them and that they are doing well. I saw earlier in the week that Susan came back on MFP. I remember when you ladies were going to the Tunnels to Towers race. I was going to meet up too but, if I am not mistaken, that was right around the time I found out I was pregnant and backed out. Please say hi to them for me. I commented on Susan's stuff but didn't hear back.

Friday Fitness: I didn't get a chance to get my bike in today. My mom and brother came over tonight for a birthday/ Mother's Day celebration. I did a lot of cleaning and cooking today. Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. We are meeting up with his mom, her boyfriend and his aunt in the evening for dinner and to celebrate. I am not sure what my husband has planned for Sunday. I think we may go hiking. I've hit 10K steps today and the past 2 days on Fitbit. It feels really good on days that I keep moving.

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Hi everyone, my name is Joni. I am 48yrs old and 5’4”. I stumbled upon this thread and thought I would join in. I have been on and off MFP for the better part of 10 years. I lost about 50lbs 10 years ago following the birth of my youngest and honestly did not put any thought or work into maintenance so I put most of it back on over the years.

I started again on March 30th with the determination to get a healthy, strong body and to keep that body this time around.

I have a lot of discipline when it comes to eating. My calorie goal is 1312 and aside from dinner, I eat the same foods every day. I always have them on hand and find that to be easiest for me to stick with it.

Exercise is a huge challenge for me, I HATE it lol. I started off going to the gym 3 days a week but quickly fell out of that routine. I am struggling to make myself start again.

In the meantime, I set a daily step goal of 6,000 (my average was around 4,500) and have been putting in the effort to meet that.

Since March 30th, I have lost 12.8 lbs. The first two weeks of course I saw the most loss and now I am averaging closer to 1lb a week.

SW 166
    CW 153.2
    GW 120-130
  • JNettie73
    Starting weight: 270 March 2021

May Start Weight: 248.6
    May Goal Weight: 239/240
    Ultimate Goal Weight: TBD

I weigh in on Sundays.

May 2: 248.6
    May 9: 246.2
    May 16:
    May 23:
    May 29:
    May 30:

I had some events this week that brought stress. I am proud of myself for not binge eating, my go to when I am stressed. I wasn't able to get my exercise routine in the past two days but I did get my steps in. I am not sure what my husband and daughter have planned for me today but I think we are going hiking.

I hope everyone has a Happy Mother's Day!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms in the thread!

@JNettie73 -- Yes, I looked back at some photos to see when we went, and it was September of 2014. I can't believe it's been over 6 years already!! Glad to hear you are getting in your steps. I never adjusted my step goal to account for covid, so it still has 11,500 as my daily goal. With my dog unable to go on short walks, along with much less walking at work (I have to sit at my desk or stand at the podium all day to teach to my remote learners along with those in person), I rarely come close to breaking that goal.

@lmf1012 --Welcome to the thread, Joni! Looks like you are off to a great start! It's also been about 10 years for me since originally joining MFP and losing 60 lbs. I maintained for about 2 years after getting down to a low of 185; then a couple of injuries set me back about 20 lbs. It took about 2 years to rehab a torn/frozen shoulder, and then I lost about 10 lbs of the gain; then, my other shoulder froze! It was very discouraging and frustrating just working to not gain back any more weight, but I've managed to stay about 10-15 lbs above my goal of 185. I actually really like to exercise, but I'm very bad at prioritizing time for it--especially during the school year. I'm less successful at staying under my calorie goal, but I've recently started intermittent fasting which has helped. Since we have opposite strengths, maybe we can share ideas to help each other with our weaknesses. What do you dislike about exercise? What types have you tried? I tend to get very bored if I do the same thing over and over, so I like to switch up my routine.

Saturday Success:
    I was way under my calorie goal on Saturday which made me feel better about some of my overages earlier in the week. I also got in a lot of exercise mowing the lawn, weeding, and doing other various yard work.

Sunday Share:
    I just shared quite a bit a few posts back, but I don't think I mentioned that the house we bought last summer has a neighborhood pool. I plan to join which is further incentive to get in better shape: if I'm going to spend the whole summer at the pool amongst my new neighbors, I'd like to feel confident in a swimsuit. I don't need to look like a supermodel, but I'd like to not be so self-conscious.

3. Go for a run this weekend.--I didn't meet this goal, but I did get over 12,000 steps on Saturday, so that was a nice NSV.

Karen
    51 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)

5/7/21 = 198.4
    5/14/21 =
    5/21/21 =
    5/28/21 =
  • lmf1012
    @skinnyjeanzbound

Hi Karen,

I just recently finished PT a few months ago for a frozen shoulder! I had no idea what that even was until the orthopedic doctor diagnosed it and sent me to PT. What fun that was!

I think one of the things I don’t like about exercise is that it is hard lol, it’s work to me. I am weak and not athletically inclined so am not really good at any of it. I have little endurance and honestly the cardio stuff bores me to tears. I can tolerate the rowing machine long enough to warm up but at least the weights are a little more interesting. I know I will progress if I stick with it but man I struggle to want to go do it.

With eating, what’s helped me the most is pre-logging food to see how my day shapes up and then tweak where I need to. I also mentally view my calorie goal as money to spend for the day and I am super frugal lol so I always look for ways to maximize what I get for the calorie “spend”

I also learned that when I eat less than ideal foods, I tend to have a harder time managing my food intake. I am just not good at the “eat everything in moderation” method. I find it easier to not have any cookies than try to only eat 1 serving.
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    I take a weekend off from looking at the boards and low and behold people came back and started posting!!

So normally I post from my phone, but I figured I would give it a try posting from the computer. Maybe it will be easier when replying to everyone.

@skinnyjeanzbound nice to see you here again. I've been doing a 16:8 schedule (eating from 11-7) and I've found it to be immensely helpful. Also, drinking above 100 oz of water a day has been critical. How did you post a screenshot from your phone directly into the chat? When I've tried it looks like an attachment.

@JNettie73 WOW I'm impressed. You were able to eat 2 robins eggs and stop. That is impressive and you should take a moment to be proud of that NSV.

@lmf1012 welcome to this thread! I also hate to exercise...I think because it is work. The only times I have really enjoyed it, is when it becomes a social event. I walk every day during lunch with a walking buddy. Since COVID we have been working from home, but we call each other and talk on the phone while walking. The hard thing for me is that I have to find a dependable exercise buddy because if they stop "working out" then I stop as well.

AFM, today is weigh-in day. My husband, mom, and two daughters (10 & 7) were great and accommodating with my eating schedule. We had a brunch instead of breakfast! My husband remembered a MFP recipe that he got in his email with sweet potato, egg and avocado which was low enough in calories that we were able to add BACON and still be within my calorie limit. We then went cherry-picking...YUM!! I love that even though we live in the San Francisco Bay Area there are orchards within a 30 minute drive and we can go pick our own Cherries (and all kinds of fruits).

Name: Jessica
    Height: 5' 6"
    SW: 238.4 (5/10/16)
    Lowest weight: 194.4 (3/25/2017)
    SW for this journey: 235.1 (3/27/21)
    GW: 190
    May GW: 224

Weight tracking:
    Start May 1: 229.0
    WK 1 May 3: 226.8 (- 2.2)
    WK 2 May 10: 225.4 (-1.4)
    WK 3 May 17:
    WK 4 May 24:
    Finish May 31:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @lmf1012 -- Thanks, Joni--I already have a lot of the same habits like pre-logging, but then someone brings homemade brownies, and I give in. When I'm doing well, I eat the brownie and then go for a run or hit the gym to earn back those calories. However, I've had a hard time getting back into a workout routine, in part because this school year is just so mentally exhausting. I know I will feel better and have more energy if I workout, but I have so many extra meetings and planning for hybrid learning takes additional time. On the days when I don't have anything school-related after school, I just want to relax and do nothing. We only have a few weeks left, so I'm just trying to get to June 1st! And YES, I also think of my calories as cash in a bank account!! That's so funny that you do the same.

Regarding exercise, I also loved lifting, but I had to stop completely with the first shoulder injury. I had just started trying to do some light weights again, and the second shoulder froze. After rehabbing that one, my range and strength in both shoulders was quite limited; I couldn't do squats or deadlifts at all, and I was so weak with all of the other lifts that it was quite discouraging. Fortunately, I also enjoy running, so that has been my go-to exercise, but I've fallen out of a routine. Now that the weather is warming up, I hope to be more consistent. I don't like any sort of exercise classes--honestly, I prefer to work out solo, so running is great for me. I had zero endurance for running when I started. I used the couch to 5k program which really helped motivate me to improve a little at a time. Have you looked into any workout apps? I know a lot of people who rave about the Peleton app--maybe something like that would help?

@trinati2001 --Hi!! I actually emailed the screenshot to myself and saved it as a photo. Then, from my laptop, I just clicked on the "insert an image" icon in the toolbar above the message box and chose the file.

AFM--I didn't wait until noon to eat today; however, I only ate the granola bar I had brought as part of my lunch and didn't snack on any of the goodies a colleague brought in for someone's birthday. I've been better with water, but still not stellar. The hard part is that we rally aren't supposed to eat or drink in our classrooms when students are present, so I just leave my water bottle in my office. I drink coffee in the morning during my planning period, so I don't even think about water until my lunch period. I did drink more of it today than usual, but still not enough. I used to drink whatever was left in the bottle on the car ride home, so I think I will start doing that again.

Karen
    51 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)

5/7/21 = 198.4
    5/14/21 =
    5/21/21 =
    5/28/21 =
  • trinati2001
    Tuesday Goals: drink more water and no mindless eating.

Yesterday was one of those days. I was good until 4:30. I got hungry but because I over ate for lunch I didn't have too many calories left after pretracking dinner. I stupidly had a good snack and stayed in the kitchen. Then I had the next snack and the next and the next until I had eaten more calories than I had planned for dinner. Sigh. Then the kids were home and it was time for dinner. So I ate most of my dinner. I tracked the first two snacks and drank extra water during that binge. I just need to walk away and tell myself to wait to see if I want more.

Today is a new day. Today I'll eat mindfully.
  • JNettie73
    Monday check in:
    We had a good but busy weekend. My mom and brother came over Friday to celebrate my husband's birthday and Mother's Day. Saturday my daughter and I did a special birthday breakfast for him and then met his family at a restaurant. We had cake after at his aunt's house. Sunday we went hiking. When we came home my daughter and I did "spa day" where we painted each other's nails - well she spilled nailpolish everywhere and I ended up cleaning and painting my own nails. My hubby made my favorites for dinner. That evening I had my weekly zoom call with my cousins. Since the pandemic we have been doing zoom calls so we can stay in touch. I was over my caloric goal on Friday but did well the rest of the weekend.

Tuesday goals:
    1) To make an appointment to have blood work done and a follow up with my doctor. I keep putting it off and I am not sure why. I really should have done this last month. :#
    2) To make sure I am drinking my water. I have been slacking lately.

@skinnyjeanzbound Sorry to hear your dog is not able to do short walks. It's so hard when our furbabies become older. Congrats on the new house. That is exciting. I love that you have access to a pool.

@lmf1012 I love your honesty about exercise being hard and boring. Are there any activities that you do like such as hiking, biking, dancing? If so maybe you can find a way to incorporate those things into your routine.

@trinati2001 I find it so much easier to reply using my laptop opposed to my phone. Thank you. I am proud that I was able to stop after two rather than eating handfuls. They are just so dang tasty. Though part of my motivation is getting my diabetes in check before it progresses and I am faced with more issues. I'm not so sure if it wasn't for that hanging over me I would have as much willpower. LOL I love that your husband remembered a MFP recipe and made that for you. I also love, and slightly envious, that you went cherry picking. Cherries are a favorite in my house. Last year I found a cherry bush in a local nursery and planted that in my yard. It flowered up this spring though I am not sure how long I have to wait until we start seeing fruit. 2 years ago I planted a dwarf peach tree in memory of my dad. I had initially wanted to plant a dwarf cherry but I could not find one. I think this year or next is the year we should start getting peaches. I cannot wait!

• JNettie73
    Wednesday Wishes: I want to wish everyone success in their journey. Some days will be easy and some days will be hard. Don't let the days you struggle get you down. Pick yourself back up when you are ready and try again. You've got this and I believe in you!

Thursday Truths: I try to be friendly and kind to everyone I cross paths with. It is important to me to set a good example for my daughter and be a positive role model for her. There are days though when doing the right thing is challenging because people take advantage of your good nature and do not reciprocate kindness. It is especially challenging when you encounter that person or people frequently and often find yourself having to "play nice in the sandbox" when you really don't want to.

Second Thursday Truth: I love going outside and just enjoying the sights and sounds of the world around me. The world is such a beautiful place that always amazes me.
  • JNettie73
    Friday Fitness: My routine is the same. I do my bike for an hour. Depending on my mood and energy level I use light weights and do upperbody exercises while biking. Also depending on my mood and energy level I do intervals where I increase and decrease my speed. Other days I just do a leisurely pedal.

Saturday Success: I noticed this week that I can officially touch my elbows in front of my body. As a large chested woman, I am extremely excited about this NSV. I've also noticed that I can clasp my hands behind my back. Again, this also excites me. It's the little things in life.

Sunday Share: Moving towards a whole food plant based low fat diet my choices are limited especially in resturants. We had a confirmation to attend yesterday for my cousin's son at a resturant. The menu was prefixed, served family style, and there wasn't much I could eat. I do not like being the center of attention and didn't want to make a fuss so I just went with it. I ate the salad however it was drenched in dressing. Oils have a negative effect on my glucose levels. The other thing I "could" eat was the pizza. I have not made the full transformation to plant based and will eat cheese on occasion. I had 2 slices, as they were small, and gave my husband the crust area. When we got home I made sure to get my activity level up as it helps to control my glucose. This morning when I tested I was pleasantly surprised that my fasting numbers were elevated but were not as high as I anticipated. I've been working so hard to get my diabetes under control. I am really proud of myself.

I hope everyone is doing well on their journey!
  • trinati2001
    @JNettie73 congratulations on how you handled the confirmation dinner. That must have been really difficult.

The last couple of days have been super crazy. I'm not sure why but crazy life and my scale deciding to go on the Fritz really have messed up my plans. I stopped tracking, stopped drinking as much water, and started eating before 11am.

Today is a new day and although we have spinach dip in the fridge I will not eat before 11 and I'll drink my 100oz today!!
  • lmf1012
    Monday Check In

Had a fairly standard week of sitting in front of the computer working all day M-F. Didn’t walk Monday to Wednesday due to weather but significantly increased my steps since then. (Of course the thunderstorms are back for the week ahead grrrr).

Did get away for the weekend at my friend’s ranch. It was very relaxing to get out of the “city” and enjoy some nature. Went on a 5k hike on Saturday and ran into a rattlesnake!! That was a first for me!

How was everyone’s last week?
  • JNettie73
    Monday Check In and Tuesday Goals:
    I am doing well. I was doing my workout yesterday and became extremely tired. I am not sure why, I woke up an hour earlier than normal but slept really well. I ended up taking a nap before my daughter got home from school. Part of me felt guilty because there was so much I could be doing however I am glad I listened to my body.

Tuesday Goals: I have to make an appointment with my eye doctor. I have been over due for new glasses for a few months. I've been getting headaches a lot lately from when I am on my computer or phone.

I bought myself a new plant based cookbook over the weekend. I want to experiment with a few new recipes. I am excited to try some new things.
  • JNettie73
    Wednesday Wish: I wish that my blood work goes well tomorrow and I am pleasantly surprised with the results.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @JNettie73 -- I hear you about the eye doctor. I also need to make an appointment and get new glasses. Fingers crossed that you get your wish about those bloodwork results. Yes, I miss the longer walks with my Gunner. He still really wants to go on walks, but his poor little legs just won't cooperate. I fear we may need to make a really hard decision in the near future. We love him so much, but when he starts having more bad days than good ones, we will know it's time to let him go. I honestly can't imagine life without him, but I don't want to be selfish and cause him any suffering. :'(

@lmf1012 -- That's great that you went on a hike. I can't wait until I'm done with this school year, so I can get out more. When we moved last summer, I was so excited to be just a few blocks from a forest preserve, but I only managed to get there once before the weather got bad. I also discovered there is a reservoir with some trails a few blocks in the other direction, but I haven't explored those at all. I'm trying to get some friends to commit to regular walking schedules, so I can get into a good routine.

@trinati2001 -- I'm also doing better with water but can't seem to stick to my fasting schedule. At least I'm managing to stay under my calorie goal most days.

AFM--My sister and I love going to see live music. In 2019 we went to Eddie Vedder's Ohana Festival in Dana Point, CA and had a blast. We were supposed to go to Boston Calling last May, but the pandemic hit. Since that got canceled, we decided to buy tickets to Ohana 2021 and crossed our fingers that it would happen. We just found out last week that it is a go!! It's not until September, but I'm already so excited!!

This past weekend, I installed a raised garden bed. It was a lot of work, and I'm still sore, but I can't wait to have fresh tomatoes, basil, and peppers.

Wednesday Wish:
    I'm exhausted and really just wish this school year was over. I love teaching and love my students, but the challenges of this year have been about as much as I can take.

Karen
    51 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)

5/7/21 = 198.4
    5/14/21 = 197.4
    5/21/21 =
    5/28/21 =
  • lmf1012
    @skinnyjeanzbound it is fun to see live music! There is an outdoor venue here called the Truck Yard where they have local bands/singers with food trucks and a bar that is a lot of fun to go to.

@JNettie73 crossing my fingers for you on the bloodwork!

Thursday Truth:

Hmmm I ate over my self imposed allowance of dark chocolate last night but stayed within my calories for the day.

Joni, 48, 5'4”
    SW = 166 (March 30, 2021
    GW: 115-125

5/7/21 = 153.4
    5/14/21 = 151.6
    5/21/21 =
    5/28/21 =
  • JNettie73
    Thursday Truth: I feel good.

@skinnyjeanzbound So sorry to hear about Gunner. I completely understand all the emotions you are going through. Making that decision is one of the hardes ones I have had to make. I don't know if you remember me talking about my cats. One of my cats, Harvest Moon, passed in March, the same day I received my diagnosis. I was completely devistated. The only thing that kept me going while dealing with the heart ache was shifting my focus onto my health.
    Where you live sounds lovely! I hope you are able to get some hikes in soon. Is this your first vegetable garden? I planted mine a few weeks ago. I cannot wait either. There is nothing like being able to go outside and pick your own veggies!

@lmf1012 Thank you. Sorry you over ate on your limit but congrats on staying within your calories for the day. Great work!