Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Plentity FDA weight loss drug vs Fiber Supplements

FiberousJ
FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
I know there's a lot of doubters when it comes to weight loss supplements. You can probably dismiss this thread. I've seen some ads on Plentity. Supposedly it expands in your stomach and can absorb 100x its weight. I've also read that Glucomannan fiber can absorb 50x its weight. So that means if you doubled up, you'd get the same strength?

Plentity is an FDA-approved drug. Does it offer any benefit (in theory) that Glucomannan or Psyllium Seed Husk doesn't? It sure costs much more. What's the benefit of consuming citric acid and cellulose over fiber?

Replies

• FiberousJ
    What do you think about this statement? I got a reply from a rep.

Plenity is not a fiber, it’s an FDA-cleared prescription weight management tool used in combination with diet and exercise for adults who are overweight or obese and have a body mass index BMI of 25-40 kg/m^2.

The structures and properties of our superabsorbent hydrogel, Plenity, are very different from fiber. Plenity particles have a three-dimensional structure, which when hydrated create thousands of small individual, solid gel pieces, which are very similar in their size and firmness to solid ingested vegetables and fruits (but without any calories or nutrient content). Dietary fibers, on the other hand, have linear structure and when hydrated they carry water only on their surface. Watch this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YcRANVUQc, to see it in action.
  • FiberousJ
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer to consume mostly things that humans have consumed for centuries/millennia, and thrived. I found ways to do that, and manage my satiation and body weight, after previous decades of obesity. It took some experimenting, though.

YMMV.

What kinda ways? Care to share?
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    It sounds like the inside of a diaper (a brand new one, lol, not one filled by a baby).
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Ugh. At one point in my life I would've wanted to take a pill like this, even though I was probably about 20 pounds from a healthy BMI. What I have learned, though, that it takes more than a pill, diet and exercise to MAINTAIN weight loss. It's behavioral changes and mindset shifts that have to happen (or had to happen for me, anyway) for weight loss to become permanent. This pill just sounds like another quick-fix. Obesity has become an epidemic in this country, and this is one of Big Pharma's solutions.

Having said that, I can understand that there may be a subset of people who are overweight or obese who really can't sense when they're full and frequently eat to the point of discomfort. Maybe this drug would help initially, but then what? Are they supposed to take it forever? What happens if they stop?

Like others have said, I think a much better strategy is to find foods that are more satiating and getting fiber from food (even though I guess this is not absorbed like regular food). If people are to use this, I think it's very important that they're also taught how to make the dietary AND behavioral changes necessary to lose and maintain weight loss without the use of the drug.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,866 Member
    edited May 2021
    My knee jerk reaction was the OP is a rep for plenity.
  • plzfeedmecookies
    plzfeedmecookies Posts: 7 Member
    My knee jerk reaction was the OP is a rep for plenity.

Same.