60 yrs and up

Replies

• bandb678
    bandb678 Posts: 104 Member
    I will be 65 this year and have a few pounds I would like to lose. The older I get the harder it is to lose.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,777 Member
    So here's a tidbit I just learned (always learning something is good right?) Apparently taking vitamin supplement BIOTIN is a no no when you are having blood work pulled. I get my thyroid none fasting pulled annually and this is the first time I have seen a sign at the lab about this and my Drs have never mentioned it. so strange. Anyway, I googled it and it turns out some of the chemicals they use include biotin or something so it interferes with the results. "Who knew?!!" Unfortunately I did not but since I have been doing this for years maybe it's all good. I will ask my endocrinologist during my appt. I did know that the 2nd Covidvaccine could interfere with mammogram results due to enlarged lymph nodes so I ended up delaying that and my Thyroid sono for 6 weeks to make sure I did not get some crazy results. I suspect that the vaccine does some interesting things to us during it's work to help us produce t cells and suck longer term so none of this is surprising. I am no expert just sharing information for us olders which you can research further if you want.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Hi! Female age 66. I’m from North Carolina. Have been successful here a few years ago, but sadly struggling to lose again. Would love friends to check in with!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    So here's a tidbit I just learned (always learning something is good right?) Apparently taking vitamin supplement BIOTIN is a no no when you are having blood work pulled. I get my thyroid none fasting pulled annually and this is the first time I have seen a sign at the lab about this and my Drs have never mentioned it. so strange. Anyway, I googled it and it turns out some of the chemicals they use include biotin or something so it interferes with the results. "Who knew?!!" Unfortunately I did not but since I have been doing this for years maybe it's all good. I will ask my endocrinologist during my appt. I did know that the 2nd Covidvaccine could interfere with mammogram results due to enlarged lymph nodes so I ended up delaying that and my Thyroid sono for 6 weeks to make sure I did not get some crazy results. I suspect that the vaccine does some interesting things to us during it's work to help us produce t cells and suck longer term so none of this is surprising. I am no expert just sharing information for us olders which you can research further if you want.

If it were't for wanting to travel again, I wouldn't have gotten the vaccine at all. I'm scheduled for the second dose next week. 😬😬 I hate the idea that we are basically forced to get this shot. This info didn't help ease my mind. Who knows what else they are going to find as more data becomes available.
  • Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    It’s been a mixed weekend. Enjoying family time, watching kids play rugby, all lovely. Picking up their head cold not so lovely. Anyway it’s mothers day today so staying in bed for the day isn’t all that bad. And I don’t feel hungry!! Yay
    Have a great week folks
  • Tuppence26
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just popping in to say "hi, and welcome" to the new participants (and "hi" to those who've been here longer, too). Do post now and then to let us know how things are going, or if you're wrassling any obstacles we might be able to help with!

@annliz23, your dogs are so cute at play: What fun!

I finally got in my first on-water row of the season, rowing bow in a double shell with my friend J. (who's 73 . . . or is it 74?), and one of the strongest women I know. It was a little cool and a tiny bit choppy, but manageable (and we warmed up fast once we got going); and my bladework/steering skills are a bit rusty after a Winter of only rowing on a machine (but that will sort itself out in the coming weeks). I created and broke open blisters on both hands in spots that tell me I'm over-gripping the oar handles, so that's a thing I need to deal with very soon.

Beyond that, life is pretty quiet, just daily routine. I'll throw in the usual garden pic, though. (This one is a Primrose (Primula sp.), amongst Japanese Painted Ferns (Athyrium niponicum), and a little variegated Sedge (Carex sp.). There are also a few dropped flowers from Maple or other trees, or flowers.)
    799lf2af06f8.jpg

Hope everyone's having a great week!

• Tuppence26
    Awesome photo, only chrysanthemums in my garden at the moment... winter is upon us.
    Wonderful blog, very newsy and interesting.
  • Tuppence26
    glojlilly wrote: »
    Happy Thursday! Well after doing the yard yesterday and pool work, I'm back at my pre-birthday weight. All that rain in Texas made double grass. I am in the market for a decent bike if anybody could suggest one in the 200-600 range.

• Tuppence26
    Great weight loss commitment.
  • Tuppence26
    bandb678 wrote: »
    I
    will be 65 this year and have a few pounds I would like to lose. The older I get the harder it is to lose.

Oh well this is a great place to get motivation and support. Good luck
  • Tuppence26
    Happy Mothers Day to all you moms on here.

Haven't been on MFP much. Waiting on a report from my wife's doctors tomorrow. 🤞Prepared for bad news but hoping for good news.

• Tuppence26
    Oh dear Steve... thinking of you