What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    * Rowed bow in the double again. I unfortunately failed to push the start button on my Garmin, so I have no data, but assume it was a little less than 7K since bridge-to-bridge, for sure relatively low intensity (working on re-acquiring better bladework and balance, both of which have safety implications - water's still very cold here, swimming would be a Bad Plan). After I get some on-water technique dialed back in after our Winter-long hiatus, I'll start working more on power. Here and there, I've taken a few strokes going for strong suspension, a key element of power on water or machine, and it felt good on the blade surface, but I need to focus more on other stuff now, mostly.)

The baby Canada Geese - little fluff-balls - are really cute. The standard configuration is mom and dad fore and aft in the flotilla (best they can manage positionally), while the littles are in random Brownian motion more or less between the two adults. So far, have only seen small broods, 6 or fewer. Sadly, the babies are snack-sized.

* Walked 6.55mi, 3.8mph. Perversely, after reading/posting on threads about how to work out if having pain, I'm struggling a little mentally. I don't think of it as pain, but there's always knee discomfort. It's not getting worse, which is the absolutely key fact. I need to be focusing on hamstring/glute engagement, upright posture, pushing off . . . useful in themselves but also as a distraction. The last mile(ish) went better today.

* 30' mostly upper body silly-supersetted stuff with mostly dumbbells, relatively light weight, increasing reps. For me, verrrry gradually conditioning my way back to useful stress is a useful injury-minimization strategy.

Rest day tomorrow, hope to get in some yoga/stretch/foam-roll, which I'm skipping so far on the early rowing mornings, because I've been disorganized (not a morning person!).
  • Wellmom10
    Wellmom10 Posts: 2 Member
    2:45 on my bike followed by a 1:15 run...so 4 hours of cardio. Training for a half-Ironman that's six weeks away!! :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Today I shoveled gravel. Parts of the driveway were getting muddy. Gravel Dude (forget name of company) dumped all the gravel into a hill and I'm distributing it with a wheelbarrow and shovel.

2/3 done, last third will be done when my elbow doesn't feel like this. probably within a week.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Fast, maybe it is the shoes hah

cfted4d9e24f.png
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Wellmom10 wrote: »
    2:45 on my bike followed by a 1:15 run...so 4 hours of cardio. Training for a half-Ironman that's six weeks away!! :)

Nice work. I'm in the same phase, with a 70.3 on June 19th. I'd better remember how to swim by then. ;)
  • Djproulx
    Got a stiff dose of reality from my training partner on the bike today. Thought I'd be ok, since he did a 40mile trail run yesterday and said his legs were shot. But he's a strong cyclist (6x Ironman) and he made me suffer on a route he chose. It was almost constant climbing for the first 15 miles, then we settled into more rolling terrain. 3:10:00 ride for just over 50 miles at 16mph. I took a 3minute transition time out before doing a 30minute run off the bike. 3:40:00 work overall, which is a big day for me this early in the season.

I'm starting to sharpen focus on nutrition during long efforts, since that is a huge factor in HIM and IM distance races. For workouts lasting between 2.5-5 hrs, my goal is to take in 75-90g of carbs hourly, plus 20-30 oz of fluids hourly if temps are around 65 degrees. The numbers increase for 5& hour sessions and in warmer temps.

I hit the calorie/carb and fluid quantities fairly well and felt good as a result. I"ve started using the Maurten 320Cal drink mix in order to get a bunch of calories/carbs in liquid form. Two bottles of Maurten, supplemented with shot blox, waffles, etc. plus a separate bottle of electrolytes (I use Precision Hydration) Maurten's unflavored drinks/gels are very appealing, since it becomes harder to ingest food as training sessions get longer and the weather gets hotter.

Rest day tomorrow.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    I did an Emi Wong 11-minute thigh workout,
    then I went through all of the K-pop dances I've learned, which amounts to around 19 minutes.

It may not sound like much, but I literally haven't worked out practically at all recently, so this really made me break a sweat. Strangely enough, it doesn't make me crave anything or want to eat, in fact it does quite the opposite, since eating just makes me want to eat more (yes ik it's strange).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    After a fall with my bike yesterday (chain jumped off) I was mostly tending to my bruises. I still walked roughly 10k steps with vaccinating people against Covid. Phew, never expected this to be so tiresome and so much walking!
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    I was going to hit the gym today but this morning my body said NOPE! instead went for a bike ride and almost 19K steps!
  • journeywithave
    journeywithave Posts: 13 Member
    bqsjobdrdda2.jpeg

Starting off the week with a fullbody workout:) have a great day everyone!💃🏽
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Yesterday: 15 min stair climber; 4 sets of 10 leg press; 30 min swim (1250 yards); 5 mile walk

Today: 6 mile run with lots of hills
  • AnnPT77
    * Rowed bow in the double, 6950m; ever so gradually getting smoother/less rusty (I think)
    * 5.16mi walk, 3.8mph avg
    * 28' of the usual strength routine, mostly upper body light dumbbell supersets
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    i6wpiuuo2ut1.jpeg
  • vic3180
    vic3180 Posts: 1 Member
    aitd7gqhldg8.jpeg

EOMOM for 20:00 of back squats (275 lbs) and push-ups today. Good times on a Tuesday!
    Stay fit, stay strong, and GOD bless! 💪🤓🙃
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2021
    30 minute superset lifting (example would be 16 pushups, 10 pullups, 16 52lb KB swings as one rep, but in general it's legs, chest, shoulders, repeat when HR settles under 60% max. I change nearly every rep to something different) for 8 reps, then 8 X 100m, 3 X 375 and then just cooldown on the rower. 100m rows were mostly around 1:36 pace. High Drag Factor (for me) -- around 160. Roughly 800 calories on the hour.

Felt good today as I took yesterday off to take my wife to the doc, so felt well rested.

@Djproulx - I think most of us would be dead after that. To be doing that over age 60 is incredible. Great work. I'm only 56 and I don't think I ever go over 90 minutes, though I have to row a half marathon by the end of the month for my inner club competition. That will likely destroy me and I'm just looking to finish it. I used to push 1:30 on a half, but I won't come close to that now. And I've never rowed a marathon (though I have friends that do that and even century rows -- 100Ks).
  • incline83
    incline83 Posts: 239 Member
    jtp92syh05o2.png
  • Djproulx
    30 minute superset lifting (example would be 16 pushups, 10 pullups, 16 52lb KB swings as one rep, but in general it's legs, chest, shoulders, repeat when HR settles under 60% max. I change nearly every rep to something different) for 8 reps, then 8 X 100m, 3 X 375 and then just cooldown on the rower. 100m rows were mostly around 1:36 pace. High Drag Factor (for me) -- around 160. Roughly 800 calories on the hour.

Felt good today as I took yesterday off to take my wife to the doc, so felt well rested.

@Djproulx - I think most of us would be dead after that. To be doing that over age 60 is incredible. Great work. I'm only 56 and I don't think I ever go over 90 minutes, though I have to row a half marathon by the end of the month for my inner club competition. That will likely destroy me and I'm just looking to finish it. I used to push 1:30 on a half, but I won't come close to that now. And I've never rowed a marathon (though I have friends that do that and even century rows -- 100Ks).

@MikePfirrman- The difference is that your work is generally at a much higher intensity level than mine. I'd really have to build up to that much strength endurance over a long period of time. Maybe next year ;)

As the endurance work gets longer, the most important keys to a successful training build are Nutrition and Recovery. I'm at roughly 11-12 hours of cardio work per week right now, and that requires consistent attention to recovery, whether yoga, stretching or regular deep tissue massage (every 2-3 weeks). My training density will really ramp up after the June race. July and August will be challenging, with several 15-17hr training weeks. I'll only have time and energy to work, train, eat and sleep. I'm clearly hanging around with the wrong crowd. ;)

• Djproulx
    Bike/run day today.
    1:15:00 trainer ride. Warmup outputs, drills, then 2 x 20 blocks(15 min hard, 5 min recovery pace) then cooldown.
    Run: Easy paced 15 minute run just to shakeout the legs after cycling.
  • AnnPT77
    edited May 2021
    * 40'-ish yoga - stretch - foam roll.
    * About 70' slow shakeout ride on my hybrid bike, the actual kind that moves through actual outdoor physical space on wheels! First time on the bike, may ride it to a picnic thing tomorrow, wanted to make sure it was functioning. Thought I'd go out for maybe half an hour . . . but should've worn the bike tights instead of jeans anyway. 😆
    * Probably do the usual core routine in a while, after dinner settles a little more.

@MikePfirrman and @Djproulx, I enjoy watching both your training reports, reading the conversation between you, and I admire what you each do. There's a good lesson there in each of you, that (IMO) we get results in line with our training. Me, I'm just mostly doing stuff for fun and general health, and I get results in line with that: I'm having fun, and am generally healthy. 😉 It's fun to watch people who're running more serious routines, though - you and others on the thread besides. Good stuff!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I did 60 minutes on the elliptical today on the mountain cycle plus 9 minutes of planks
    The elliptical mountain cycle was the firs time @60 minutes and really killed myself - but I felt good afterwards