Calling all runners...

Replies

• gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    juanwilly1 wrote: »
    72 years old and TKR runner here! Average about 20 miles a week--sandy beach, sandy trails, concrete bridges and asphalt roads. Soft sand slows you down and trails have their rooted peril but love living in Florida where all is available. Just switched from Brooks Beast for many years to Hoka Cliftons 7's and love the cushioning, but the negative heel takes some getting used to and they do help the knees! Keep on running folks! Cheers B)

@juanwilly1
    I also used to run in Brooks Beast and swapped to Hoka Gaviottas, as you say, the difference in cushioning is huge and although I used to love the Brooks, I'll never go back after using the Hoka's.
  • gutzbgon
    What's a TKR runner?

@SwtHedgehog
    I think TKR means Total Knee Replacement
  • gutzbgon
    Got up this morning begrudgingly at 2:30am to get my run in before work, to my surprise once I started running I felt great and pushed close to my threshold pace. So glad I got up now haha
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    @gutzbgon good for you for getting up at that crazy time! Getting up and starting is always the hardest part!
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    Does anyone have flat feet and supination? I know it's rare, butI have that. If so what running shoes do you run in?

I made it to physical therapy and had my leg/gait checked out. My summary of that is my hip is tight so it fights that by going the opposite direction of where it should be and my *kitten* (technically glutes) x too lazy to do anything about it, so the poor little guys I. The lower leg/foot are forced to take more load. She did give me some exercises (some were tweaks on ones I've been doing anyway ) to help with that. She did confirm my self-diagnosis (I wasn't going to trust myself) that I have flat feet and I suppinate.
  • mariek1072
    mariek1072 Posts: 15 Member
    Hi I'm a long term runner. I'm easing back in after two weeks off. Nice to meet others!
  • desertfoxcoffee
    desertfoxcoffee Posts: 46 Member
    Got in my first run in about 6 months. A short one (a little over 4 miles) but man am I out of shape. Also think I forgot how to run it's been so long. I felt I was trying to swim on land.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Does anyone have flat feet and supination? I know it's rare, butI have that. If so what running shoes do you run in?

I made it to physical therapy and had my leg/gait checked out. My summary of that is my hip is tight so it fights that by going the opposite direction of where it should be and my *kitten* (technically glutes) x too lazy to do anything about it, so the poor little guys I. The lower leg/foot are forced to take more load. She did give me some exercises (some were tweaks on ones I've been doing anyway ) to help with that. She did confirm my self-diagnosis (I wasn't going to trust myself) that I have flat feet and I suppinate.

I suffered a string of calf, ankle and achilles injuries from 2016-2018 due to the same root cause: tight hip flexors, and glute muscles that didn't fire as a result. The cause in my case was a combination of too much sitting at a desk, coupled with cycling. Both of those activities had me in hip flexion for long periods of time. Then, when I started to run, (especially in triathlons after cycling) my glutes didn't engage, forcing my legs to do all the work, leading to imbalances and injuries.

I had to make significant changes in order to continue in triathlon (with its "bike to run" transitions). I bought a stand up desk in order to reduce sitting, did hip flexor stretches multiple times/day, plus a number of hip extension and glute activation exercises. The goal was the break the neuromuscular pattern that develops when we repeatedly engage one muscle group (hip flexors).

I'm sure your PT gave you some hip flexor stretches and glute activation movements (bridges, squats, etc.) I've also become a regular yogi, since the entire posterior chain from the lower back to the feet need to be aligned. A brief round of yoga that includes Up Dog, Down Dog, pigeon pose and twists provide the counter stretches and different planes of movement that help maintain balance and flexibility in the muscle groups.

Good luck with your PT and running.

• SwtHedgehog
    Djproulx,

Thanks for the info. I was doing yoga for a while and I definitely need to get back into it. Before Covid, I was active in other things ((zumba, yoga, bootcamp, etc.). I then was mostly down to bike trainer and running and occasionally yoga and strength. I know Covid is not an excuse because I could have done most of these on my home via videos. I let the stress of everything get to me and just focused on sleep as I wasn't getting much.

I had also messed up my running last year when I started a training plan based on HR. Up until that point, I had been building up my running pretty well. Once I started the 0rogram, I started running so slow to keep it in the zone, I was walking faster than my running and keeping my heart rate in the zone that way. I am working on that with treadmill running (to "relearn" running feel/pace) and walk breaks.

I 'm also back in the pool, which feels wonderful. Once a week (pending lane availability) I am doing a pool run. If anyone knows what Garmin Vivoactive 3 activity to use, please let me know. I used the pool lap, just because I wasn't sure 9f heart rate in the pool because the swim ap shuts that down.

I hope everyone else are doing well and enjoying their running.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @SwtHedgehog - Gotcha. Your story sounds familiar. I lost all of 2019 to my chronic achilles problems, then I got derailed in 2020 by the pandemic, just like most everyone I know. With three races cancelled, I just threw in the training towel. My wife said I was "fairly pathetic" during most of 2019-20, lol.

Regarding swimming: My Garmin 920 tracks lots of data about my swims, but we don't use HR in the swim. The output from my chest strap HR monitor is usedfor establishing my HR zones for bike and run. Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) and/or time per 100yds (1:45/100, 2:15/100, etc) are what most people I know use to understand swimming's impacts on their fitness and fatigue. Hope that helps. BTW: swimming is a terrific cross training tool for runners. Really builds the lungs, no pounding on the joints, and it provides a different movement pattern for the muscles used in cycling and running.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I ran 8 miles Sunday, 31 min on Tuesday, and plan on another short run today.
  • SwtHedgehog
    Thanks for the info. On Thursdays, after my swim, I use a pool belt and do pool running. For that, I'm not sure if I use a run or pool swim activity since a hybrid of both? I wasn't sure if there's a reason HR is shut off for the pool.
  • neffyworld
    neffyworld Posts: 89 Member
    Did my first parkrun today. Took 56 minutes to walk/run 5kms. I think I walked slower after running about twelves poles because my shoes were no good and my feet were sore.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    neffyworld wrote: »
    Did my first parkrun today. Took 56 minutes to walk/run 5kms. I think I walked slower after running about twelves poles because my shoes were no good and my feet were sore.

I need to internet search what a park run is. We have none locally to me; I do know that much. You got out and ran, so nice job on what running you did manage to get in! I hope your feet feel better soon.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Hi, new joiner to this thread :) I started running again a couple of months ago after a few years off with knee issues and then a baby emerging. Really happy to be running 5k again. @neffyworld I didn’t think Park Runs were going? My local ones have been cancelled since the summer I think, hopefully starting up again soon tho. Well done for doing it, are you going to go regularly?
  • neffyworld
    neffyworld Posts: 89 Member
    smal48 wrote: »
    Hi, new joiner to this thread :) I started running again a couple of months ago after a few years off with knee issues and then a baby emerging. Really happy to be running 5k again. @neffyworld I didn’t think Park Runs were going? My local ones have been cancelled since the summer I think, hopefully starting up again soon tho. Well done for doing it, are you going to go regularly?

I'm in New Zealand where Covid 19 is pretty much gone, so the parkruns are on. I went to my first and last one, because I need new shoes. I'll probably venture out again in a few months.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I used to run a fair bit, but for a number of reasons I lost interest and got out of habit/routine. Hopefully with COVID restrictions loosening the trails will become less crowded and I can get back into it. I'll run roads simply because of the convenience, but I don't really enjoy it... I'd much rather be on the trails.
  • cyfehr76
    cyfehr76 Posts: 45 Member
    I run 3x week, but short distance. 2-4 miles. I did it in my younger days for soccer training, but now just for heart health and to help increase my HDL cholesterol. Not to mention it helps keep the pounds off. My one friend always told me though...."you can't outrun a diet".
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I've been wanting to become a better runner FOREVER.
    I've tried Couch to 5K a number of times over the years (my last time was probably like 7 years ago).
    Yesterday I did my first run in a long time. And lets not joke; it was more like a VERY slow jog/walk combo. But I'm hoping to see improvements! I've got a (distanced and virtual) 5K scheduled for first weekend in June. I'm not sure how much progress I can make before then but I'm joining in here to keep motivated!
    I'm going to work within my limits and abilities but i would love to have some sort of goal to work towards. Anyone have any insights into what a good (slow) beginner time is for 5K that I could aim for?