Anxiety, Stress and Dieting....Breaking The Cycle

Options
I have been reflecting on my eating behaviours over the past year and wondered if my anxiety and stress have triggered poor food choices. Is it possible that the negativity and fear generated by Covid-19, climate change, geo-political tensions etc has created a environment of hopelessness and titanic-like indifference to having that second or third dessert? I wanted to check with other folks who subscribe to this platform to learn how you are finding your way back to some sense of eating for the "right" reasons. I had made myself think that food was fuel rather than soulice, therapy, love or distraction. But, this seem to change as the anxiety and stress I experienced increased as a result of phenomenon I have already mentioned. So....tell me what you think?
Thanks

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I think one thing the pandemic did for me was point out where the existing support systems and habits I had in place were not as strong as they could have been. It's certainly a really rough way to find that out! And I think I was lucky because I was already starting to be mindful about that kind of thing, and I was aware that in the past I had used eating to cope and needed to stick to other, healthier methods. When under a lot of stress is a hard time to put those things into practice, but sometimes you really don't have another choice!

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that cultures use food as more than just detached, clinical "fuel." I think it actually has the potential to be wonderful and beautiful, to observe the changing of time and the seasons, momentous occasions in one's life, etc. It always bothered me when I was a kid and I'd watch "futuristic" shows where people would be so "advanced" and just swallow a pill to eat. That sounds boring and awful. It might keep you alive, but what a terrible way to live! Like having windows to let in the "correct" amount of light, but they're so high up you couldn't even look outside to see the landscape. Weird.

I do think some of us have to be more mindful than others to not let food become a primary coping method or a numbing agent to the rest of life. Eating alone all the time while constantly on social media or with the TV news on seems like a recipe for mental health disaster. Like @cmriverside I just quit most news and social media. I stayed in close touch with the friends I had even if I wasn't seeing them as much or at all in person. I kept up the hobbies that I could do at home. All of that helped a lot. And now that I am logging my food and exercising regularly, I feel a lot, lot better. The trick is to have the habits so ingrained that setbacks, minor or major, aren't a complete derailing event.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I have often used food as a comfort for anxiety, probably since I was a kid, to numb uncomfortable feelings. However, I've been one that unless events and actions impact me directly, it doesn't increase my anxiety. That's not to say they don't bother me, but I guess because I realize that some of those are out of my direct control it doesn't impact my anxiety as greatly.

I actually used all the extra time at home I had to try to lose a bit more weight that I had thought I couldn't. Just by using MFP to track my food intake keeps me more mindful of not only what and how much I'm eating, but why. If I know I'm going to have to log it, I think twice about why I might be wanting to eat something. I also started really addressing my anxiety by being honest with my doctor and prescribed me Lexapro. I had been taking all kinds of supplements to help with anxiety, but honestly, Lexapro works better for me. I didn't realize how anxiety had been impacting my daily life and thoughts UNTIL I started feeling better.

I also have begun to realize how much the TYPE of foods I had been eating had been impacting my cravings and feeling like I "need" a certain food. I'm a big believer in the gut-brain connection, and I think sometimes those foods that we crave when we're anxious can actually make our symptoms worse. I know it sounds "woo," but the gut-brain connection is something that has been established. I think it's all individual in what may do that, but it's worth investigating.

I also think there's nothing wrong with viewing food as something other than just fuel. We use food as parts of big celebrations, and I'm sure a lot of us have happy memories associated with certain types of food. I think it's one of those things that's not "all or none," just like healthy eating in general.
  • meeppeepneep
    meeppeepneep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My depression made me not have the energy to cook, and so I would eat an entire pizza in the afternoon and snacks. Then i would look at how big I was getting and be despaired and consoled me with "I'll start dieting tomorrow, but today is ruined" and so I ate a box of cookies or a chocolate or crisps or all three.

Getting on the right medication, and changing to a better diet and starting doing exercise took time. But I am in a much better place now and have the energy to take care of myself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    When I lost 80 pounds my life was changed dramatically. From weight-as-a-shield to ice-cream-cures-sadness I had a lot of sorting out to do.

Absolutely keep writing. We'll keep reading. I learn something new every day and sometimes I learn just by writing it down somewhere.

You're on to something and it's going to change your world.

I would turn off the news, though.

There is a way to look at all life events from a distance without getting emotionally attached to their outcomes. That's what I have worked to discover. Most things I have no control. The things I do have some control I can work on but even some of them are not going to change a whole lot, externally. I have to change how I perceive them. :)

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Such an excellent, thoughtful thread. I don't have much to add but to say that the emotional connection with food is an issue for me and that I am working hard on the habits that lead to healthier coping mechanisms. While the pandemic did not reveal anything new, it It certainly underscored where the pitfalls lie.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I definitely have been a stress eater throughout my life but, even more so, an emotional eater. I went to EAT and Overeaters Anonymous and a therapist, hoping any or all of them would help with this. What did happen was that I figured out that dealing with strong feelings, stress, and uncertain outcomes were too difficult for me, so instead I would succumb to the familiar coping mechanism of a binge. I would feel physically rotten afterwards, but something I was used to and could handle, and it helped distract me from the issue I really should have been dealing with.

What happened to help at long last was aging. Not a solution I recommend to all! But when it became a matter of life and death far more than an issue of vanity in appearance, I found myself more able to regulate my eating. The pandemic was incredibly helpful to me because of the lack of social engagements or meetings/classes, and I lost my remaining 40 lbs and have kept it off since October. But that was an anomaly, and now I'm starting to eat out with friends again and not be able to control every bite that goes into my mouth and it's a little threatening. Also the stress will increase with in-person responsibilities once more picking up. Hopefully I've learned enough during the pandemic and also through the aging process that I will be able to keep tabs on my behavior.

Did I ever eat out of hunger? Hard to say. Not sure I experienced hunger, just occasions when I either 'needed' or 'deserved' to overeat.

Knowing this past, maintenance will involve diligent logging for some time to come - I WILL have to be held accountable to keep this weight off. But the understanding of the emotional component plus this year off to look at it "from 30,000 feet" as they say should help me think through what it is I REALLY need when I feel like I have earned the right to eat, rather than scarfing down bowl after bowl of trail mix.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    @mylittlerainbow "The pandemic was incredibly helpful to me because of the lack of social engagements or meetings/classes"

So interesting ... and so very different than my experience (l know where some of your 40.pounds went!🙂). I am so glad for you that it worked out well. The pandemic was not kind to me, but I also have learned things that will be helpful going forward
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your MIL is ill.

Yeah, sitting with the sad/bad/scared feelings are difficult at first, but it gets easier and especially once you start losing some weight and feeling better in general.

Try to get outside and take a short walk a couple times a day. Seeing a flower, tree or bird will do wonders for the soul.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    My experience was completely different. And to clarify, I am a “negative Nancy” of the first degree.

I saw the handwriting in the wall. There was nothing I could do about lockdown except take as much control as I could. I could either wring my hands and moan,”woe is me”, or do the best I could under the circumstances.

I planned several basic meals and stocked up enough supplies I could make them for quite some time if supplies or trips to the grocery became impossible. We didn’t go overboard but we did have about a month supply of canned goods on hand.

I’d lost 80 pounds and did NOT want to gain them back. I immediately cut my calories and set a goal to turn my Apple Watch exercise rings three times daily. My local studio offered Zoom yoga and Pilates classes. I would register a week’s worth in advance at a time. If it was on the calendar, it was writ in stone. We live adjacent to a bike path. No one was using it so I took full advantage a couple of times a day. I was able to work out mask free. It was months before I had to don a mask.

I didn’t want to be glued to the sofa or TV. To turn those rings, I started cleaning house two or three times a week. Not that it needed it. I needed it.

I stopped watching the news, following election and COVID updates, and tuned out of social media. I painted the interior of our three story house, and finished countless needlework projects.

What did I learn from all this? Having a plan, taking charge, feeling in control made me happier and healthier, and is a lesson I can carry in to the future.

I “ran” a family business for years, and had no control over the countless stupid business decisions my parents were wont to make against my strong advice until I finally had enough and walked.

Having control of my life, my surroundings, my decisions has been the healthiest thing for me.

TL:DR having reasonable, thoughtful control of everything around me meant I’ve actually enjoyed lockdown.

• greyhoundwalker
    greyhoundwalker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Last year, when the first outbreak of Covid in my state was diagnosed less than an hour from my home, I had 5 pre-existing conditions that would result in a poor outcome if I were to contract it. I made a list of what I could control or change and started my journey to health. I have lost 77 pounds and am still working to lose more since then. During that time, my fiance died from Covid pneumonia. I cried until I was sick but still stuck to my new habits of exercising while wearing a mask and counting calories. These habits gave me a tiny sense of control and security while my life changed.
    Today, I am struggling. I have a series of skin grafts being done on my foot for an ulcer and have to stay off my feet for at least a month. I am twitching out of my skin without the exercise. Have not online shopped but have over eaten the last 4 days. Both are my vices of choice when alone and unable to move around. Today, I have resigned myself to the fact that the overeating and shopping are just distractions from the frustration, loneliness, anxiety and boredom that I am feeling. That I am going to have to allow myself to experience these feelings, breathe, and go on with my day. Repeat again, and again if necessary but not overeat, overspend or engage in temporary distractions until the feelings resolve and fade away.

I wish I could hug this more than once. I am so sorry for the loss of your fiancé and in awe of your determination in the face of bereavement and your own health risks. You have only overeaten for a few days and already recognised that you must allow yourself to experience those unpleasant feelings to work your way past them rather than avoid them by using unhealthy behaviours. It’s taken me a year and a gain of 15 lb to come to the same conclusion, and I haven’t experienced any personal loss. You can do this.
  • greyhoundwalker
    greyhoundwalker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP - I was diagnosed prediabetic Jan 2019, by Sept 2019 I had lost 30 lb calorie counting and cutting right down on sugar and low fibre carbs. I still had 10lb to lose but had already put my blood sugars in the healthy range and was planning to maintain through the winter, then slowly lose the last 10lb over the next spring/summer. When Covid hit I was hit with crippling anxiety, had to go on anti anxiety meds and take time off work.
    Once the meds kicked in I started to be able to function again, went back to work, but definitely experienced the “ hopelessness and indifference” you mentioned. At my worst point of anxiety I had no appetite and would eat whatever I could swallow in order not to be weak from hunger, mostly in the form of digestive biscuits dipped in tea because they required no chewing. This set a pattern of unhealthy eating which I have struggled to conquer ever since, I’ve gained back half of the weight I lost by eating foods I know are bad for my blood sugars and have had sporadic small binge episodes as a way of avoiding anxious thoughts or anything which makes me feel stressed.
    It was having to buy some bigger underwear and having only 1 pair of jeans that fit that made me really take notice and start thinking hard about health issues, I won’t say I’m properly back on track yet but I’m recognising what I have to do and rationalising that I and my eldest son (who has health conditions) are both vaccinated now and that avoiding health anxiety by doing something which actually increases my health risks makes no sense at all.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I rely on the endorphins released by exercise. On several dark winter nights, I went on the spin bike for an hour after a long day at work, and then dinner and clean-up, which meant I was on the bike until around 10. Still, totally worth it and I typically slept very well.

When I don't or can't exercise, I tend to want a beer!