My Week by Week Experience with None To Run (N2R)

2»

Replies

• Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    You’ve convinced me to try this program rather than the C25K once I get the okay to start running again! I read into it after I read this and it seems like it’ll be better suited for me. I’ve had a few complications postpartum so I’ve been restricted to walking but I’m looking forward to starting in the next couple of weeks.
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    You’ve convinced me to try this program rather than the C25K once I get the okay to start running again! I read into it after I read this and it seems like it’ll be better suited for me. I’ve had a few complications postpartum so I’ve been restricted to walking but I’m looking forward to starting in the next couple of weeks.

I LOVE this! Let me know when you start so I can cheer you on!
  • alisampm
    Week 7 is just rude. It is. Just plain rude. Running for 2 min and walking for 30 seconds. That's just not kind. Oye. It kicked my butt and I definitely had to slow down my pace, but I got it done all three runs! Now for two days off running and one strength training tomorrow.
  • alisampm
    This week's run is a repeat of the intervals from last week. It is going well, and I even had the thought “I think I have a little more in my tank to run” when it was time for the walking sections. However, by the end of the workout, I was READY to be done.

These two runs have been inside at home on my treadmill as my daughter’s school chose to have all students in distance learning due to the verdict of the Derick Chauvin trail, as we are in Minneapolis and our day-to-day could have been affected by the outcome.

However, the adage “No Justice, No Peace” also works as “Know Justice, Know Peace.’ While a guilty verdict is short of justice is it accountability and people see it as a positive step overall, and our streets are peaceful and chill. I can’t wait until she’s back in in-person school and I can run outside and enjoy the beauty of where I live as I run.

*For those of you who say you want to check out the running program NONE to RUN - do it. Easier and more approachable than C25k and focused on building endurance. Ask me any questions you want. :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Amazing job @alisampm !!!
  • alisampm
    Week 12 was HARD for me, somehow adding in those extra two minutes was exponentially harder. But, I did it. And I celebrated graduation by going for my first 5K with my nine-year-old daughter, however, I realized about 5 minutes in that this wasn’t MY race. It was OUR race and it was HER race. Read more about that race - https://midsoulfitness.wordpress.com/2021/05/23/mother-and-daughter-5k-making-memories-one-mile-at-a-time/.

What’s next??
    For the next few weeks, I will be running twice a week with my daughter, getting her ready to run a 5K with her friends, and doing one run a week on my own to keep up my fitness. Then I plan to start the Run to 5k program and focus on getting faster and continuing to my goal of RUNNING a 5K without stopping (currently at about 25 minutes).
  • goldengirlatheart
    goldengirlatheart Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for this info. DD and I have wanted to start running; this looks like a great place to begin.
    TFS
  • goldengirlatheart
    goldengirlatheart Posts: 5 Member
    Just started yesterday! I love it! I have never been a runner, this is baby steps. I like that it's based on time and not distance.
  • alisampm
    A few weeks ago, I graduated from the None to Run program, ran 25 minutes without stopping, and completed FOUR 5k’s with my daughter.

Now I am chasing MY goal of running a 5k without any walking.

Since I really appreciated the None to Run program, and found injury-free success on it, I plan to use the 8 week Run to 5K program.

Let’s do this thing!

Week 1
    6/9/21 – Today was my first run of the Run to 5K program. I was dreading it as the last few weeks of the None to Run program were HARD for me. But, I was feeling uninspired just doing my own runs and wanted to get back into a program to keep me focused and motivated.

The day’s run called for 2km of running (which is 1.24miles). So, I did a 5-minute warm-up walk and then ran the distance. It only took me 15 minutes, which was a TON easier than the end of the last program. So I was excited to be able to do it with no problem. It will get more intense as the weeks go on.

In looking ahead to the program, it looks like it is more intense in frequency, so instead of 3 runs and 1 strength training per week, it’s 3 runs, 2 strength training, 1 optional run, and 1 rest day per week.

If I am running with my daughter, I will use my Parkrun as my optional run as we run/walk. And if I run the Parkrun by myself, I will use it as one of my longer runs. If you haven’t heard of Parkrun and are interested in being active in your area, check it out! It is an international organization that supports weekly, free, timed 5k’s all around the world, there might even be one by you. 🙂

6/11/12 – Three days in and I already missed a workout yesterday. Ha. 🙂 I plan on doing it tonight to catch up.

But I did just get done with todays workout – intervals with running at a hard and controlled pace for 1 min followed by 2 min of walking. This was so FUN compared to the “just keep running” of the last few weeks of None to Run. I ran on the treadmill, so I was able to play with the speed more than usual.

I did my first interval at 5MHP, as my sustained treadmill speed is about 4.3 currently.

I did my second interval at 6MPH.

I did my last two intervals at 7MPH!

I am 100% sure I couldn’t do that three months ago. Felt so good to be sweaty and tired, but not exhausted.

Week by week to the Run to 5k program - https://midsoulfitness.wordpress.com/2021/05/25/next-goal-3-1-miles-without-walking-using-run-to-5k-program/