Trade-Offs and Treats

Okay, I am fully aware of how I got to how I was and that I need to remain accountable to myself not to go back up! But I do like to plan treats into my day and I guard them jealously. So I pre-log my meals for each day to see what's left. Do I have enough for an Enlightened bar? 1/4 cup of unsalted mixed roasted nuts? A protein brownie with applesauce on top? If I decide to throw edamame into my entree salad at lunch, does that mean no afternoon snack of a Built bar?

I'm probably smaller than many of you (5'0"). When I log net calories of around 1400, MFP gives me a 5-week projection of about my current weight. As I start getting up over 1400, it has me gaining gradually over the 5 weeks, up to gaining rather quickly at 1450 calories per day. (And in these months, I have learned that these MFP projections are pretty accurate for me.) So I don't have much wiggle-room and do have to plan accordingly. Hence the pre-logging. But oh, how I resent when I have to give up my almond butter cooky because I decided I really want blueberries and raspberries in yogurt for my morning snack!

I don't see this getting easier down the road, but I'm only 7 months into maintenance, so perhaps it does become more of a routine and less obsessive as time passes?

Replies

• tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    I hear you about not having much wiggle room. Are you exercising? If yes, be sure to log some of your exercise calories and you might have more wiggle room, to add in another “treat” .
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Yes, I make a point of exercising at least 60 min per day, and varying my routine from day to day. I'd read that you need this to be able to maintain your weight. That's why I was so careful to refer to "NET" calories.

I do move a whole lot more than the exercise I log already! I live on the third floor and routinely walk up and down the stairs. And my neighborhood is highly walkable - library, bank, tire place, grocery stores, drug stores, hair salon, dentist, post office, and more than 40 restaurants - and I leave my car in the garage and pretty much walk everywhere. This is not included as part of my formal exercise program, just my going about my business doing my errands. Not taking walks. And I am not one to watch television but am usually moving around the house doing things. So yeah, I'm not what you would call sedentary.

I guess I didn't interpret what I had posted as complaining in any way. If you're 72 years old and weigh 95.6 lbs and are 5'0" tall, you're not going to have a huge daily calorie allowance. I was just talking about the balancing act, the tradeoffs in letting myself have X one day and therefore I don't get Y or Z. EVERYBODY here has to be doing some of that, right?!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Yes, I make a point of exercising at least 60 min per day, and varying my routine from day to day. I'd read that you need this to be able to maintain your weight. That's why I was so careful to refer to "NET" calories.

I do move a whole lot more than the exercise I log already! I live on the third floor and routinely walk up and down the stairs. And my neighborhood is highly walkable - library, bank, tire place, grocery stores, drug stores, hair salon, dentist, post office, and more than 40 restaurants - and I leave my car in the garage and pretty much walk everywhere. This is not included as part of my formal exercise program, just my going about my business doing my errands. Not taking walks. And I am not one to watch television but am usually moving around the house doing things. So yeah, I'm not what you would call sedentary.

I guess I didn't interpret what I had posted as complaining in any way. If you're 72 years old and weigh 95.6 lbs and are 5'0" tall, you're not going to have a huge daily calorie allowance. I was just talking about the balancing act, the tradeoffs in letting myself have X one day and therefore I don't get Y or Z. EVERYBODY here has to be doing some of that, right?!

FWIW, I didn't take you as complaining: Apologies if it came across that way.

Sure, I can't eat every single thing I'd like to eat every time, in the portion size I might prefer: There are tradeoffs. I think it's gotten less or easier, with time, psychologically and physically - takes up less mindshare, certainly.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I try to make a connection between the exercise I do and the food I eat. Instead of saying - if I eat these blueberries I won’t be able to eat that cookie, I wonder if it would change the perspective to say, if I go for a walk right now I’ll be able to eat that cookie and the blueberries?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    My handling of this when I really want something is to just log it, split across the week. Tiny bites out of each day instead of a huge bite out of one day's calories.

Granted, I have a decent calorie allowance to begin with, but I still like to eat and I'm not denying myself the occasional cookie for the rest of my life, so this works to balance within a week or so and doesn't sacrifice nutrition on any given day to do so.
  • mylittlerainbow
    It does get a bit easier, and of course by weighing myself daily I can nip any increase in the bud but I see it as a lifelong commitment.

That's the crux of it, absolutely: Lifelong commitment. But of course we should have that toward our own health to start with! It's just soooo hard. Most people seem completely oblivious to what or how much they're eating - sure, a nibble from your plate or another trip to the buffet? No calculations involved - just eat what you want and trust it will be within bounds. I don't expect ever to be one of them.

• mylittlerainbow
    I'm not denying myself the occasional cookie for the rest of my life

I don't, either. That's why I prelog meals - I see how many calories I have left for the day and work in my treats! Just not ALL of them every day!! (sadly)