What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Swim workout this am. Had to cut it short at 1600 of planned 3200. Had a timed mile swim in today's plan, but I'll have to find another swim day this week to get it done.
  • Djproulx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    * 40'-ish yoga - stretch - foam roll.
    * About 70' slow shakeout ride on my hybrid bike, the actual kind that moves through actual outdoor physical space on wheels! First time on the bike, may ride it to a picnic thing tomorrow, wanted to make sure it was functioning. Thought I'd go out for maybe half an hour . . . but should've worn the bike tights instead of jeans anyway. 😆
    * Probably do the usual core routine in a while, after dinner settles a little more.

@MikePfirrman and @Djproulx, I enjoy watching both your training reports, reading the conversation between you, and I admire what you each do. There's a good lesson there in each of you, that (IMO) we get results in line with our training. Me, I'm just mostly doing stuff for fun and general health, and I get results in line with that: I'm having fun, and am generally healthy. 😉 It's fun to watch people who're running more serious routines, though - you andothers on the thread besides. Good stuff!

@AnnPT77 - careful with that casual cycling, it can become habit forming! :)

I appreciate your comments, thanks. You've hit the nail on the head for me (as usual) in that I love the predictability of endurance training. Its a process consisting of many steps over an extended time period. Fitness improvements often come slowly and may be imperceptible until you look back at the starting point. And because I'm a geek, I love to see my fitness data in the Training Peaks app. It shows me where I am in the training continuum that leads to the starting line on race day.

One question that I answer frequently is "why do people stay in this sport?" My answer is: People don't stay in triathlon unless they enjoy training. Period. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense. Training six days per week, often for multiple hours, to race one or two days each season makes NO sense unless you enjoy the time that you spend training. Having friends in the sport really helps as a social component. Shared suffering is more fun, lol.

Regarding the second bolded comment: I couldn't agree more. There are many folks who post here that are really inspiring to me. Certainly, @Mike is one, but also the strength focused athletes, the climbers, long distance runners, cyclists, etc. Those are my kind of peeps!

Namaste.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    Monday Just under 1 hour of yoga (I faffed about making coffee in the preliminary bit), followed by a 2k run. I was on a walk, but I got bored and sped up. I was slow - 12 minutes for 2.17 km, according to Fitbit, which is line with my 5k pace.

Tuesday
    2 hours bouldering. This was pretty good - I got one harder project, and got really close on another. I fall on the final move, where with my beta you have poor feet, and are in a Gaston with a long way to go to the final hold. It's entirely possible my beta is duff, but I'm on what look like the best foot holds at that point.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Thanks for the kind words Ann and @djp. You two (and others like Matt above, who is ballpark my age), inspire me. It's all about what you can do for a given age, condition, shape. And that's anyone, but I have a special respect for the not-so-young folks, who stay young at heart and challenge themselves. I know how hard that can be, for sure.

Today was pretty easy stuff. Hot outside (and getting hotter quick). Around 93 at lunch and I rowed a half hour on the back deck. The pool reno got postponed due to their tile guy getting really ill from Covid. While I feel really bad for him, it makes the quiet deck time extend while the weather is cooler without the sound of jackhammers, construction going on beside me.

Finished the row up with 25 more minutes on the Assault Bike (real easy) in the A/C. I have a slight niggle in my right knee toward the outside, so I might take it extra easy for a few days. My right knee will eventually need replaced, so any sort of out of the ordinary pain makes me a bit uneasy. Being self employed, I'd like to put off the surgery until I'm on Medicare at 65. Plan B is a European extended vacation where knee replacements are 1/5 the cost of what they are here in the states.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited May 2021
    Mike - your workouts show an amazing work ethic. Some of them look properly brutal to me. I tend to do spend most of my time doing what I enjoy the most, like climbing, scuba or hiking. Then it doesn't really feel like an effort - it's just fun.

Anyway, today I did another 5k run. I was slightly under 30 minutes, and so about the same pace as my first effort. (I think I was slightly faster.) I am quite enjoying running so far - I may take it up
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    NSV: I thought I was going to have a bad workout today bc I was SO sore from teaching Bodypump on Monday (hello, 80 rep max) but I caught a man staring at my quad and bicep serrations, clearly jealous, and it turned out to be a good session

Lower tomorrow 🤙
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    * 7348m rowing bow in the double (got in some extra meters because of parking failure: Yes, my fault, because bow is in charge of steering, and I blew it 😆, so we had to circle back to let me try again)
    * Rode the bike to/from a picnic meetup at a local park, little over 30' total ride time, mostly easy pace (little push on the way there - running late as usual! Still slow, though - always slow.)
    * Walked 5.12mi, 3.7mph average speed.
    * 36' of the usual recent upper-body conditioning/strength stuff, mostly dumbbells

Now I'm tired . . . today, wondering if I'm too old to be me. 😆🤣

Need to foam roll a little before bed, though, or I'll be sorry.

Oh, and - I did do the core workout after last night's post, as hoped/promised (?), about 40'.
  • Pencil_legs
    Pencil_legs Posts: 75 Member
    Well I did,

2 mile run with the dog
    2 mile walk by myself
    Leg strength conditioning
    Arm and back strength conditioning
    Core conditioning

Not a bad day
  • alexmose2
    I did legs/booty today and i realized whoa i have a faint sliver of abs!!
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Today will be legs/glutes. My favorite day, plus the area that needs the most work
  • MikePfirrman
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    * 7348m rowing bow in the double (got in some extra meters because of parking failure: Yes, my fault, because bow is in charge of steering, and I blew it 😆, so we had to circle back to let me try again)
    * Rode the bike to/from a picnic meetup at a local park, little over 30' total ride time, mostly easy pace (little push on the way there - running late as usual! Still slow, though - always slow.)
    * Walked 5.12mi, 3.7mph average speed.
    * 36' of the usual recent upper-body conditioning/strength stuff, mostly dumbbells

Now I'm tired . . . today, wondering if I'm too old to be me. 😆🤣

Need to foam roll a little before bed, though, or I'll be sorry.

Oh, and - I did do the core workout after last night's post, as hoped/promised (?), about 40'.

I'm tired reading this! That's pretty awesome stuff Ann. Like three hours of hard work!

Today, around 55 minutes -- 30 on the rower (75% max HR, 6000m -- pace has fallen off as it's in the 90s already at lunch, though it's a dry heat :D ). Then finished off with 25 more on the LateralX.

Golf at 100 this evening! Actually didn't feel that bad last week.
  • Djproulx
    Run workout today. 65 minutes that included 4 x 8minute aerobic intervals w/ 3 min recovery pace intervals between rounds.
  • AnnPT77
    Almost nothing. On the river in the double, in bow, but only rowed briefly and intermittently. Working with someone who had to take last year off rowing, after only rowing for a season (maybe 2?) before that. Mostly, I set up the boat** (firmly or barely), let her row. I did a little rowing here and there to get us back on course (newbies don't go straight), because the university varsity rowers were out in force, taking up much of the river's width.

** Set up the boat: When firmly, it's a thing where you hold your oar blades very steady, flat on the water, to create a sort of stable outrigger for the other rower(s). They can practice, maybe make even pretty bad mistakes, be safe from flipping anyway. When done lightly, you hold your blades flat a little or a lot *above* the water, still outrigger-like, but the other rower(s) can feel any side-to-side flopping and what-not, but with your oar blades there to catch the boat before flip is inevitable.
  • Djproulx
    Took the bike trainer out to the back patio to catch some sun while pedaling. Did an hour muscle tension endurance session, with 3 x10minutes at higher watts but low rpms, 55-65. Not an aerobic workout, so much as a strength endurance ride.

Good weather forecast, so planning an outdoor run and ride this weekend. Pool laps will be indoors, but its almost wetsuit time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I walked. About 70 steps at a time for work. Got to 11400 steps today just from working. Won't be doing anything else today. Tomorrow I want to run 10km, at least i'll try.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2021
    Knee feeling a bit better but was feeling a bit rundown today. I started out saying I'd take it easy. Didn't workout that way!

Did 30 minutes of supersetting in the garage, then 4 X 5 minute intervals on the rower w/ 2 minute breaks. Starting to get more acclimated to this type of hard workout as I did "negative splits" on my rowing times -- meaning each one got a little better progressively with no falloff. From 2:12 on the first one to 2:10 pace on the last one. 4 X 2K is one of the hardest rowing workouts you can do. I'm trying to work back to that every Friday directly after my lift.

Was 91 degrees today but didn't feel all that bad. Fan in the garage and then we had breeze out back.

Also, didn't shoot well last night, but the 100 degrees golfing didn't feel that bad either. Maybe I'm just used to heat now.
  • vaelyn1313
    vaelyn1313 Posts: 28 Member
    Walking - 45 minutes
    Circuit Training - 30 minutes
  • AnnPT77
    Back to recent normal Friday routine:
    * 6971m rowing bow in the double (we've had some gorgeous weather/water this week: Sunny; flat water this AM)
    * Walked 5.24mi, 3.7mph average speed.
    * 33' of the usual recent upper-body conditioning/strength stuff, mostly dumbbells

Stretching is non-zero but minimal since restarting on-water rowing (I'm not good about getting up any earlier than essential, and it works best for me to do yoga/stretch first, but that doesn't work with the rowing schedule . . . need to work that out). It's (I think) odd that I'll row 5 days this week, instead of 4; 3 days of yoga/stretch is better than 1-2. But 7 would be ideal. Always, it's a work in progress, eh? 😆
    Knee feeling a bit better but was feeling a bit rundown today. I started out saying I'd take it easy. Didn't workout that way!

Did 30 minutes of supersetting in the garage, then 4 X 5 minute intervals on the rower w/ 2 minute breaks. Starting to get more acclimated to this type of hard workout as I did "negative splits" on my rowing times -- meaning each one got a little better progressively with no falloff. From 2:12 on the first one to 2:10 pace on the last one. 4 X 2K is one of the hardest rowing workouts you can do. I'm trying to work back to that every Friday directly after my lift.

Was 91 degrees today but didn't feel all that bad. Fan in the garage and then we had breeze out back.

Also, didn't shoot well last night, but the 100 degrees golfing didn't feel that bad either. Maybe I'm just used to heat now.

Hmm, cumulative fatigue? 😉

@MikePfirrman, nice work on the negative splits. Agreed, 2K pieces at 2K pace are difficult (not sure what your target was, or if you think of a target pace?).

Have to admit, when I was following a training plan, my personal bugaboo was usually what my coach labeled "race pace" workouts. Our overall plan structure was based on a target 2K pace (itself established via a step test). "Race pace" workouts were pieces shorter than a 2k, but with a goal split faster than that target 2k pace. For some, the total work > 2K. So, maybe 6 x 500m, 2' off, at target 2k split - 1" or something like that.

I don't remember it exactly, but one time I was foolish enough to ask her for something extra, and it was a ludicrous thing like, I dunno, 4 or 6 x 1k at 2k pace - 2", or something. I don't remember what the rest interval was but . . . not long enough, for sure. 🤣 I've wiped the specifics out of my brain, because *ugh!*. 🤣

The collegiate rowers seem to hate their 6k tests the most, but I've never done one. In contrast to how our coaches managed us oldies, their collegiates had regular erg tests (2k or 6k) followed by an adjustment in each rower's target 2k pace to be used in figuring pace of other workouts, either in terms of a % of 2k pace for various spm (with periodized plan pieces for those spm at defined distances or times with defined rest), or as pieces of particular length (as described above) at some pace +/- the 2k target pace.
  • alexmose2
    FINAL PUSH today until a deload week (as much as it will be since I am travelling and I doubt the hotel I am staying at has a squat rack...). Squat day as final effort before I sit my a** on this 15 hour flight
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    90 minutes walk. Got my 10k steps in 6.39 kms. Feeling tired now.