Jeffing

Hi, I'm trying to get back into running and started Jeffing again this morning.

My BMI is 37 right now so I'm really concentrating on not doing myself a mischief! Only started with 30 second run, 45 second walk for just over 2 miles. Planning to build up slowly to avoid injury. Have used this technique to get my half marathon PB some years ago and find it enjoyable and achievable.

Would love to connect with any other Jeffers.

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    It would help if you explained "Jeffing". Not a common term. I had to look it up.

Seems it's just a term for Jeff Galloway's approach to running -- run, walk intervals. I'm sure there's a lot of folks that do that in here, but aren't familiar with the term you used.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    I've also heard it called "Gallowalking"
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I do not have any issues running long distance but after about 17-18 miles my motivation level plummets. I tried this a few weeks back and after you've hit the point, mentally, where you're ready to stop using this comes in handy because it's like a little break from running but only for an alotted time before you're back at it. To me, it was kind of like a reward to know that I'd get a break. And yes, it will definitely help anyone build up their stamina/endurance.
  • Hodgy2357
    Hodgy2357 Posts: 60 Member
    It would help if you explained "Jeffing". Not a common term. I had to look it up.

Seems it's just a term for Jeff Galloway's approach to running -- run, walk intervals. I'm sure there's a lot of folks that do that in here, but aren't familiar with the term you used.

Apologies. Must be a regional thing, heard it used a lot in Northern England and made the assumption as it was an American idea. Like I say just started with 30 second run, 45 second walk.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Might be worth reporting using the terms 'Fartleg' (not rude, promise!) And/or Interval training. :-) (I'm also in the UK, but never heard the phrase...)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2021
    Used a % run/walk interval method from a book probably over 30 yrs ago, based on changing the % on each 5 lbs lost as one got closer to goal weight range, on 5 min chunks of time.
    For exactly that reason to avoid injury.

Through the years found it useful too when coming back from injury, or too long of a break, would start in the middle somewhere. Allowed hitting that running form at faster pace that felt best, before the aerobic system could really handle it well.

I never examined the C25K routine, but betting it was based on this.

I'll hopefully be starting it up again here after another couple weeks PT, I think 70%, see how that is for a couple weeks before moving to next level.

ETA:
    I just looked at the date of Jeff's first book - that may have been it, even though in intervening years I've never looked closely at his stuff, just familiar what he suggested. Probably read his stuff in Runner's World years ago without realizing it.