Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,935 Member
    Feel some better, but still not normal. Tummy was rumbling all night. Haven't done a lot again today. Did some computer stuff this morning, then reclined for 1.5 hours or so. I had more energy after that. Mom and I went to a funeral (I have checked my temperature. It's normal, so pretty sure I'm no longer contagious. I did wear my mask while indoors, just in case.) I did walk a mile when I got home and ate a little more for dinner. If I keep improving like I am, should be close to normal by Thursday. Hope none of you get this. It's a bugger of a bug.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 784 Member
    @quilteryoyo oh that sounds miserable. I'd hoped it was a 24-48 hour thing. You know, like covid, we will all probably get it at some point.
  • swenson19d
    edited May 2021
    Hip update.
    I have some hope. Structurally hip is a few years from needing replaced, but my pain and inconvenience does warrant it. The doc said I may not have as good of an outcome with having had 4 surgeries on that hip. He thinks much of the pain could be from scar tissue and such, so he's on the fence over how much it could help. He really helped me figure out a tentative plan. which provides a bit of hope.

1) I am adding 1/2 in to my left shoes; offered a CT to measure the difference, but why? I can just add height and see where that leaves me. I found a company that will alter my shoe. Ordered one shoe to be done, see where that gets me. The doc suggested cheap insoles stacked to achieve an acceptable height. Dh is looking since he loves after work walmart stops. (he really does).

2) Steroid shot in the hip will determine just how much relief a replacement will get me. I see the first hip doc Thursday. will inquire.

3) the rod has to come out 6 weeks before he can do the replacement.

So. I am happily doing 1 & 2. Wouldn't that be a kick in the butt if all this time I just needed a shorter leg adjustment? I hope it will help my knee, hip, and back pain.

ETA
    I received my medicaid card today. LOL! yay?
    Not sure what I'm doing next semester; if i'll be up for the demand.
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d I hope you all don't get this stomach bug. It really is awful. I am feeling a little bit better so far this morning. I am just zapped of energy, can't eat a lot, and tummy still feels weird.

I hope adding some height to one shoe and the steroid shot will help alleviate some of your pain.

Haven't updated you all on my cousin lately. He has kept improving and is getting to go back to the assisted living today! I wish I could get an answer as to why he is having these episodes. All I can get out of everyone is that "it happens and meds need to be adjusted." I guess I don't know enough about PTSD or mental illness for that to make any sense to me. Seems like something should be causing it - some chemical imbalance they can fix. I don't know. I'm glad he is better for now.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    @quilteryoyo - that bug really seems to have knocked you and @rheddmobile and her Dh down! Oh and @avidkeo too! Yikes!! I haven't been sick in quite a long time, years, don't think I want to get it! Do you think you picked it up at the daycare? When I started working from home, even with traveling to client locations, I rarely got sick.
    So glad your cousin is doing better but it must be frustrating that he has these episodes. Does he remember them afterwards?

@swenson19d - I am so glad this doctor seemed to be more interested in finding ways to alleviate the pain and not necessarily jumping to a THR and also being honest about the outcome. What happens when they take the rod out of your leg? Will you still be able to support weight on it and will they replace it with something when they do the hip? I hope adding the height helps and you can manage next semester. How much longer do you have until you are finished with the nursing program?
    I hope Medicaid pays for most of your medical costs. My brother had it a long time ago before he was medicare eligible and it was a real struggle but that was a long time ago and hopefully it is better now. I am assuming you no longer have disability from your work or the insurance coverage... it is tough to manage!

We are slowly getting everything back together. I am down to the last few boxes to put away. Dh has finally decided to call the contractors who were going to do the work on our house before the pandemic. It means we will have to pack everything back up again. Not complaining, I will be SO happy to get the house fixed up, new paint, new ceilings, new lighting and new floors!
    Today the housekeeper is coming so we are going for a drive out to the desert - Palm Springs I think. I am hoping there will be some wild flower blooms but it has been so dry this year it is pretty unlikely. Maybe have lunch on a patio somewhere if it isn't too hot.
    Food in general has been pretty good. Dh did buy 2lbs of dark chocolate for me for Mother's Day, kinda of surprised since it took me months to eat it the last time he bought it for my birthday. My weight is still down and even with the little blip after the hotel stay it is back down and trending down!
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber Yes. I'm pretty sure I picked it up at daycare. The classroom I was in on Friday had it going around a couple of weeks ago. The germs must have still been in there. I'm very careful about handwashing and not touching my face, but it happens...and the kids touch everything. LOL I hope you don't get it either!

As for my cousin, I don't think he remembers what he does when he has those episodes. He knows that something happened, but the particulars of his behavior are a blur.

Glad you are getting your house back together and hope you can get the contractors in soon to get the work done. I need to do that here. I have so many repairs that need to be made.

Hope you find some desert wildflowers! I never did manage to do that when I lived in CA.

Great job with keeping the weight off.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited May 2021
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Waiting on new hip doc.

X-ray of my uneven hips @Avidkeo
    c27m4tt8ik1i.jpeg
    I think I have a leg length difference. Ima ask him.

Hips look good. I can't believe they didn't take your pants off! All that metal over your pelvis makes my eyes twitch!

Yay for a plan! I really hope the lifts help.
  • swenson19d
    @shanaber. I am still on dh’s insurance. So I don’t anticipate much of a change with bills. I have 1 year left in school. I am in a quandary really. Do I bother getting back to the workforce? Finances are fine with my disability income. I’d make less working and what if I have pain down the road and have given up my benefits? I may be in worse shape financially.

I canceled my appt tomorrow with the hip doc. I think I will try the orthotics and go from there. I’ve not done anything but sit around and eat for the last week. I might try to incorporate a schedule of some sort. I think DH wants the cat office back. It was Alex’s room… I kinda don’t wanna give it up. But I’m not using it this summer. So… I might as well. Violin is easier to work in if I don’t have to share one side of the house with anyone any way.

Dh is off next week and wants to go somewhere. I dun wanna. I understand he needs out. But I don’t. And physically it is cumbersome. Perhaps he will be open to helping me rehab and going to the park.

I’m toying with getting the bike out of the corner and trying it. I have been doing some self-motivated pt for weakness. I might spring for a massage to help with back pain.

If they take the rod out, all will be fine. The bone will heal and I shouldn’t be worse off. I might have to be careful for a bit, I think I saw that it may take a few months for it to regain strength. I’d expect crutches again. My fav.

@Avidkeo I’m glad they didn’t make me take my pants off. I was surprised tho. One doc has me change even if I am in clothes with no metal because it is so sensitive that it picks up shadows of any clothing. I think my pelvis is awfully asymmetric. You know if that’s a normal variation? I think I am a chimera. Leg length difference, pelvis is asymmetric, ribs are a symmetric… lol!
  • quilteryoyo
    I am feeling better. My tummy still has some moments of letting me know that it has been sick, but I was actually hungry for the first time yesterday afternoon! I'm a bit frustrated that my weight is down less than a pound from Saturday, when I thought Saturday's was artificially high due to some salty food on Friday. How does that happen? I ate virtually nothing on Sunday and have had close to 1000 calories/day since then. Shouldn't I have at lost a couple of pounds at least? Oh well, at least it isn't more. That would be bad!
  • Avidkeo
    swenson19d wrote: »
    @shanaber. I am still on dh’s insurance. So I don’t anticipate much of a change with bills. I have 1 year left in school. I am in a quandary really. Do I bother getting back to the workforce? Finances are fine with my disability income. I’d make less working and what if I have pain down the road and have given up my benefits? I may be in worse shape financially.

I canceled my appt tomorrow with the hip doc. I think I will try the orthotics and go from there. I’ve not done anything but sit around and eat for the last week. I might try to incorporate a schedule of some sort. I think DH wants the cat office back. It was Alex’s room… I kinda don’t wanna give it up. But I’m not using it this summer. So… I might as well. Violin is easier to work in if I don’t have to share one side of the house with anyone any way.

Dh is off next week and wants to go somewhere. I dun wanna. I understand he needs out. But I don’t. And physically it is cumbersome. Perhaps he will be open to helping me rehab and going to the park.

I’m toying with getting the bike out of the corner and trying it. I have been doing some self-motivated pt for weakness. I might spring for a massage to help with back pain.

If they take the rod out, all will be fine. The bone will heal and I shouldn’t be worse off. I might have to be careful for a bit, I think I saw that it may take a few months for it to regain strength. I’d expect crutches again. My fav.

@Avidkeo I’m glad they didn’t make me take my pants off. I was surprised tho. One doc has me change even if I am in clothes with no metal because it is so sensitive that it picks up shadows of any clothing. I think my pelvis is awfully asymmetric. You know if that’s a normal variation? I think I am a chimera. Leg length difference, pelvis is asymmetric, ribs are a symmetric… lol!

Yeah the new systems are definitely that sensitive. Pelvis looks a little rotated, but that could be positional, so you weren't laying totally flat. Also keep an eye on that left hip! Joints looking very slightly narrowed.
  • Avidkeo
    @quilteryoyo weight changed suck! Always fast to go up, slow down! Glad your feeling better
  • swenson19d
    @Avidkeo

Yeah the new systems are definitely that sensitive. Pelvis looks a little rotated, but that could be positional, so you weren't laying totally flat. Also keep an eye on that left hip! Joints looking very slightly narrowed. [/quote]

Interesting. I was standing up. My back wasn’t having it that day, so definitely could be rotation.

Cat office
    I gave it up to Dh. Now I can sleep in, practice violin without bothering him.. but, I have no space of my own now. Boo. Oh well. I missed schoolwork so much that I enrolled in a summer class; psychology of personality’s. Sounds interesting. Always nice to rearrange a bit and clean behind everything and prompt Dh to throw so much away,
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning folks!

I have really been struggling juggling everything I need to do. I finally started a list on a "to do" app on my phone so I can keep track, it grew very quickly.

Work is going better, I am still pretty clueless but I am ID'ing the folks I need to meet and talk to so I can hopefully be good in this position.

I went up to the ranch last weekend after I bought a weedwhacker, I spent all day getting sunburned and whacking. By the end of the day I realized I had piles of dirt from redoing the driveway and called a neighbor to come out with his tractor and just bury the weeds LOL. Problem solved for a week or two :smiley: I also spent a day cleaning out the travel trailer, filling and dumping tanks and vacuuming. So much dust, dirt and rodent droppings. I finally went through the closets of all of mom's "good clothes" that she took when we traveled. The mice had gotten in there and it smelled so I ended up throwing away a lot of stuff...probably easier. I kept a few shirts and jackets and brought them back to the hotel to wash. I also treated myself to a few goodwill stops, found some good stuff but it is not as abundant as up near Sacramento. I am piling all the stuff in a back bedroom of the house, but the house is starting to get a weird smell so I will have to wash everything.

Mom's truck is ready today, $1800 of work. Probably only $500 of that was necessary, the rest was nice to have (i.e. fuel tank sensor and tire sensors). Mom would just put gas in every 200 miles and didn't care if the tank sensor didn't work. I need to find a ride to go get it and bring it back to base so I can get it cleaned before the trip, I leave next sunday.

I spent 2 hours with a financial advisor about mom's money and accounts...I am no closer to figuring out what to do...and terrified of taxes. Thankfully a bulk of the money was in a joint account so I don't have to claim it.

I have been making 75% of my runs. I saw a bobcat last weekend...I am fine with that as long as I dont see a mountain lion. Eating has been meh. I haven't been eating fast food, but still buying my meals so who knows what the calories look like. Half of the jeans I grabbed when I was packing are a size too small, so I am wearing and washing a lot. Do I buy more? I dont think I could get in them in a timely manner...they T.I.N.Y! And to think I just wore them 2 years ago.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 It sounds like you are doing good, considering all of the changes and things you have to do. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed myself, at the moment, but I don't have as much as you do to take care of. Which to-do app are you using?
  • swenson19d
    edited May 2021
    I cooked today.
    Teriyaki chicken thighs in the IP, coconut rice with jalapeños minus the pineapple (dd isn’t keen), broccoli and dd told me how to make a cheese sauce which I added 3 very large cloves of garlic to. I made mine into an Asian-type bowl then had to try the cheese sauce and it is crack for garlic lovers. I’d like to eat it with chips… instead of broccoli!

I think I am going to try to do a week of salads.
    The plan is to prep all the ingredients in containers then all I have to do is assemble. I am afraid of the scale.

I appealed to Dh regarding the lack of space and he agreed to move the gun cabinet out of the bedroom giving me enough study space to set back up. Yay! Now to plot a study schedule with violin. Dh told me this morning that “my friends mother died”… ??? I don’t have any friends. My violin instructor lost her mother. She had COVID and was in poor shape to begin with. I don’t expect her to want to do any lessons this summer. Next semester I don’t think I have time and choose not to enroll in it. Sure the loss is complicated. Free of pain and illness but to lose a loved one still is hard.

ETA.
    When I get shoes altered, I am going to try to get some walking in. I am adding height to the left.
  • quilteryoyo
    Glad you got some study space back. I hope the elevated shoe helps ease your pain. Sorry about your violin instructor's mother. Losing someone to CoVID is hard, especially if you have done everything you could to avoid getting it, like we did.

I played tennis for the first time since my surgery today - real tennis and not just hitting around. A friend I hadn't seen since Sept and I played. She won 5 - 7. We are competitive, but the point when we play is to socialize a little, get some exercise and improve our game. When I got home I took my obligatory streak mile walk. My tummy is still not "right," but I think it is getting there.

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys that I got the expected letter from the IRS a couple of days ago. They are indeed keeping my refund as partial payment for my 2019 taxes - that were paid over a year ago. They just won't do their part! Hopefully, they will automatically refund it when they finally get around to fixing their mistake. I sure hope I don't have to go through a round with them to get it back.
  • swenson19d
    @quilteryoyo Glad the tummy is getting better. You do yogurt or pickles to help replace/support the good bacteria? I really hope the irs figures it out soon. What a pain.

I watched an hbo documentary that I knew I shouldn’t. Boy Interrupted. I cried so hard. My eyes are still sore. I’ll let you google it. Or I’ll cry more.

Cori
    Is still a gross, unmannered, troublemaker lol! He ate bean barf today, if you gotta go no 2; he wants on the seat behind you to supervise. If you don’t oblige he claws your rear. I mean what? Why Cori? Every evening I’m watching Netflix/Hulu on the iPad and he comes to take over like clockwork about 915. It’s time to put on the mouse game for cats. What a nut! 4 nights in a row now. He brought a toad turd in the house the other day. Blech! He sweet and all, but not nicely mannered like bear!

Dh agreed to take me for a walk tomorrow. Yay!
  • swenson19d
    I have my salad stuff made and in containers! Yay!

No walk yesterday. It poured all day.

I ordered flip flops that have the height adjustment built in, yay!

I have weakness in my right leg where if I sit and try to lay down and lift the leg (adduct), it takes a bit of focus and is grumpy. I hope much of this can be rehabbed. I’m hoping addressing the leg length difference will help greatly and don’t have to do the thr anytime soon. I probably should do the cortisone shot to see how much it helps.

I found my 10lb mush ball, idk what to call it. It’s kinda like the medicine ball but mushy. I think perhaps it’s a slam ball. I’ve been throwing it upwards and catching it for strength.

Today is day 1 of Dh being back in the cat office. I can nap and play violin today. Cori woke me at 530 MEEEOOOOW-ing incessantly. He was starving and omg it was time to go outside.
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d Sorry I didn't answer your question. I try to eat yogurt, but actually don't have any. Going to the grocery store today. I hope you get your hip to where it is a lot less painful. Cori sounds inCORRIgible, but cute.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning folks!

@quiteryoyo I use "Any List" app. I used to pay for it, but just recently ended the subscription. I can share my lists with DH and create a grocery list and to-do lists. It also has a meal planning function, but I find paper is just as easy LOL. But I guess you can import your meal plan into your grocery list.

I was able to get a ride to pick up mom's truck. So nice to have the fuel gauge working again LOL. I started coughing and sneezing as soon as I got in, it is so dirty. Mom with her copd never should have been in that car. But it was her ranch truck and she didnt feel like cleaning it. I dropped it off with a detailer this morning and they promise a "like new" package. I was very clear when I made the appt how rough the truck was and they swore it was fine and would be done by noon. We shall see.

I spent the rest of the weekend cleaning out the travel trailer some more, flushing tanks and emptying all of mom's stashing areas. She would store stuff in there b/c she thought the mice could not get in there...well that didnt happen. Pretty sure she had a whole other household shoved in there. I also spent a couple hours taking down mom's makeshift fences (t-posts, hotwire, bailing twine, old fencing) that she used to keep the mules from going into the orchards. As i was working, I realized that mom liked a problem...and she valued how creatively she could solve the problem more so than the quality or functionality of the solution. One of my friends told me that is the definition of "red-necking" LOL.

I went for a long run on Sunday and broke down and bought a new pair of jeans, bigger jeans. Costs money to eat and get fat and costs money to buy new clothes...no logic. I also went to a goodwill and did pretty well. I was lazy the rest of the day.

Today I am back at work and I am so frustrated with being so lost. I just don't understand it, how things work. I am also frustrated with my weight gain. I am not cooking so it seems unreasonable to count calories, I guess I need to really only eat when hungry and make better choices.

Well, I guess I should stop avoiding work.