Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I'll give a report on Italy. We're moving along with vaccinations. Doing 65+ now and I'm in that group, so last day of May is my appointment for 1st dose--Pfizer. Husband lucked out and is all done (slipped into a cancellation slot).

Our problem is: vaccines ordered are not arriving as promised. AZ is especially the culprit, and the UE is cancelling future contracts with them. Pfizer arrivals are slow too and it was announced that instead of receiving the 2nd dose 2 weeks after it will be extended to 40 days. Sigh, that'll effect me. Better half than nothing.

COVID is slowing here. As the days get longer there are fewer infections and rules are being loosened. For now bars and restaurants have to have tables outside and everything must close at 9:30pm and everyone must go home. Soon this will be moved to 11:00pm, and people will be seated inside again. Masks and distancing are still required. Schools are open, as are museums. Soon theaters, cinemas, gyms, and pools etc. will open with caution. We now have a 3.5% transmission rate. Deaths are way down. So, things are looking up.

I've kept up with my exercising since October--stretching and yoga at home, and powerwalking, running for 45 min every morning around the park. I think we've missed 5 days, for rain, in 7 and a half months. However, I miss the pool. I can't wait until it opens, and I can get back in the gym for some strength training.

I just got a message from the health dept. My 1st dose of Pfizer is confirmed for May 29th. The 2nd dose has been pushed back to July 3rd. I was expecting it, but I'm just so disappointed now that it's happened. I'd like to tell them to shove it.

Our second shot was extended to 16 weeks. I got my first March 3 and my second was booked for April 8 - then they emailed me to say it was pushed back to June 28.
    I was a bit pissed at first, but after looking into it I am now 100% on board with getting everyone their first shot more quickly by extending the second dose. I wouldn't want to get my second shot while other at risk people were still waiting for their first.
    I am surprised though that you are only getting yours now. I thought Ontario was bad with the rollout, but we are down to the 30+ age group next week here and everyone 18+ is supposed to be eligible by the end of May (but I guess that is an effect of giving only the first dose).
    Our third wave surge seems to have peaked so hopefully now that about 50% of our population has their first dose the worst is behind us.

"Eligible" and "vaccine appointment availability" are two very different things, however. We've been going in two week spurts here because supply has been so limited, although supposedly that will improve in June. And I'm hoping they're right because in July the second shots will be due for the March patients.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I'll give a report on Italy. We're moving along with vaccinations. Doing 65+ now and I'm in that group, so last day of May is my appointment for 1st dose--Pfizer. Husband lucked out and is all done (slipped into a cancellation slot).

Our problem is: vaccines ordered are not arriving as promised. AZ is especially the culprit, and the UE is cancelling future contracts with them. Pfizer arrivals are slow too and it was announced that instead of receiving the 2nd dose 2 weeks after it will be extended to 40 days. Sigh, that'll effect me. Better half than nothing.

COVID is slowing here. As the days get longer there are fewer infections and rules are being loosened. For now bars and restaurants have to have tables outside and everything must close at 9:30pm and everyone must go home. Soon this will be moved to 11:00pm, and people will be seated inside again. Masks and distancing are still required. Schools are open, as are museums. Soon theaters, cinemas, gyms, and pools etc. will open with caution. We now have a 3.5% transmission rate. Deaths are way down. So, things are looking up.

I've kept up with my exercising since October--stretching and yoga at home, and powerwalking, running for 45 min every morning around the park. I think we've missed 5 days, for rain, in 7 and a half months. However, I miss the pool. I can't wait until it opens, and I can get back in the gym for some strength training.

I just got a message from the health dept. My 1st dose of Pfizer is confirmed for May 29th. The 2nd dose has been pushed back to July 3rd. I was expecting it, but I'm just so disappointed now that it's happened. I'd like to tell them to shove it.

Our second shot was extended to 16 weeks. I got my first March 3 and my second was booked for April 8 - then they emailed me to say it was pushed back to June 28.
    I was a bit pissed at first, but after looking into it I am now 100% on board with getting everyone their first shot more quickly by extending the second dose. I wouldn't want to get my second shot while other at risk people were still waiting for their first.
    I am surprised though that you are only getting yours now. I thought Ontario was bad with the rollout, but we are down to the 30+ age group next week here and everyone 18+ is supposed to be eligible by the end of May (but I guess that is an effect of giving only the first dose).
    Our third wave surge seems to have peaked so hopefully now that about 50% of our population has their first dose the worst is behind us.

"Eligible" and "vaccine appointment availability" are two very different things, however. We've been going in two week spurts here because supply has been so limited, although supposedly that will improve in June. And I'm hoping they're right because in July the second shots will be due for the March patients.

Yeah it must be dependent on area - right now it’s not that hard to get an appointment once you are eligible here in the GTA. My coworker is 43 and getting hers tomorrow, and my daughter is only 27 and got hers yesterday. I mean you had to go online and wait in queue for like 2 hours - but once you were in the appointments were then booked with a couple of weeks max.
  • ythannah

Yeah it must be dependent on area - right now it’s not that hard to get an appointment once you are eligible here in the GTA. My coworker is 43 and getting hers tomorrow, and my daughter is only 27 and got hers yesterday. I mean you had to go online and wait in queue for like 2 hours - but once you were in the appointments were then booked with a couple of weeks max.

Totally. I'm in the north.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited May 2021

When I checked the city health department’s site yesterday, it said you can book your appointment either online or by calling a service phone to leave your number and they will call you back. They made it very clear to only call once even if you don’t hear from them soon, as they will only call people back when they have appointments available, and that can take more than a week after a person has called them. 2nd shots are extended to 8ish weeks, I think.

A friend recently found out that whenever new age groups are opened, they open online booking at midnight. I don’t know if that’s the case elsewhere, but at least here it’s definitely worth it to stay awake until midnight the night before, so you can book it as soon as the clock hits midnight and the opening date rolls in. A friend group with eligible people talked about it this week, and the difference between booking at midnight and in the morning was that the midnight bookers got appointments booked about a week earlier.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I have allergies in the spring and fall. I just haven’t had any allergy problems since COVID and masks. I’m still wearing mine, and definitely will until warmer weather and the wind dies down. Then I’ll reassess.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited May 2021
    It seems we have an increasing number of the India virus in some areas of London and the North West - Burry I think it is. The response is to have localised intense testing, even teams going door to door to catch all cases. Also its possible the length of time between vaccine will be shortened in these areas from the up to 12 weeks but I've not heard what the suggested period will be. The rate of transmission with this viral form is still being discussed, its thought be be higher/faster than the original form or what was known as the Kent variant.

This is happening just as more steps are due to be taken to "open up the country" from Monday 17th. Local lock downs are not ruled out.

added "form"
  • ythannah
    hipari wrote: »

A friend recently found out that whenever new age groups are opened, they open online booking at midnight. I don’t know if that’s the case elsewhere, but at least here it’s definitely worth it to stay awake until midnight the night before, so you can book it as soon as the clock hits midnight and the opening date rolls in. A friend group with eligible people talked about it this week, and the difference between booking at midnight and in the morning was that the midnight bookers got appointments booked about a week earlier.

I tried that :D The day my age group became eligible I went on the booking database at 6 AM (I'm up anyway) but my qualifying category wasn't in the list yet. I think the database opens at 8 AM so when I made another attempt at 8:30 when I got to work, it was there.

The database can only offer booking based on local availability however. We have had several periods of multiple weeks without any appointments at all because we've had no vaccine supply and they wouldn't open up for booking until the health unit knew when more shots would arrive.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    hipari wrote: »

When I checked the city health department’s site yesterday, it said you can book your appointment either online or by calling a service phone to leave your number and they will call you back. They made it very clear to only call once even if you don’t hear from them soon, as they will only call people back when they have appointments available, and that can take more than a week after a person has called them. 2nd shots are extended to 8ish weeks, I think.

Yeah we did that here for my daughter. She got a shot booked on the main provincial site but it was a bit of a drive and two weeks away. We have “pop up” clinics that are local and only book a week in advance - so I logged on right before midnight and right at 12 a whole day of open slots opened up 5 minutes from our house 7 days away so I booked that and cancelled the other one. She went on her lunch break and was there and back without having to miss any work.
    That’s why I am so confused about people posting that they can only get Pfizer in limited places in Australia (and maybe other countries). Here they are giving it everywhere - pharmacies, pop up clinics, hockey rinks, community centres, workplaces. There must be a way to transport it because we are doing it here.

The real question is why enough doses aren't arriving in Europe---they were ordered.