Do you use a wind shirt?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
There's one on sale in my size and a color I like. 🤑

I'm trying to think of times when a soft shell was too much but I still wanted some wind blocking, not coming up with many examples. Am I thinking about it wrong and the point is space in your pack? If you have one does it get much use? And are they as breathable as a good soft shell?

Thanks in advance for sharing thoughts and experiences! 🙂

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    when I cycle I don't wear sports clothes apart from the padded leggins underneath my cords. For running I wear a simple hoodie jacket, or not. Can't help you there. Sorry.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    There's one on sale in my size and a color I like. 🤑

I'm trying to think of times when a soft shell was too much but I still wanted some wind blocking, not coming up with many examples. Am I thinking about it wrong and the point is space in your pack? If you have one does it get much use? And are they as breathable as a good soft shell?

Thanks in advance for sharing thoughts and experiences! 🙂

I have a Wattie Ink Double Threat wind vest that I wear quite a bit on chilly rides in New England weather. I love the vest. While not strictly "breathable", it zips up or down from both top and bottom to allow heat escape and access to cycling jersey beneath. This allows me to wear a short sleeve jersey, a vest and arm warmers(if needed) to start the ride. Once underway, as temps increase, both the vest and arm warmers can be stuffed in jersey pockets if I start to overheat. Wattie Ink gear is expensive, but worth the price to me. BTW, my Wattie arm warmers in the Lightning Bolt pattern add 10 watts to my cycling power output! ;)

0ugmd7ajogcn.jpg
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I wear a wind shirt in the winter over a long sleeved shirt when I am running. The combination is good down to about freezing since it is a very tight weave. When I was backpacking, I would wear a wind shirt or wind jacket on cold windy days. It is surprisingly warm, despite the light weight.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2021
    I like an ultralight jacket/pull-over (I assume same idea as a "windshirt") at times when I want to be able to pack it down easily or stuff it in a pocket (jersey, fleece, shorts, whatever) when not wearing. They are convenient, but rarely "necessary".
  • NorthCascades
    I ordered it because it's the last one in my size and color, and it's on clearance. I know it'll fit well. I can see value in being able to always have it in my pack because it's so thin and light, for tinted when I didn't expect to need a protective layer. I'm still not seeing when it would do a better job than a soft shell. Guess I'll find out. There's a generous return policy and they encourage people to try stuff where you'll use it.

I guess I really love my soft shell. 🙂 ❤️
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    I just use an arctryx featherweight jacket as my wind shell. I’m not sure I would like a shirt but I like to use the zip on my jacket to vent since I get hot easily. Well if it’s in the color/size you like might as well try it. And it doesn’t weigh anything.
  • NorthCascades
    @cheriej2042 which one do you have? Do you like it? I got their Nodin jacket, it just arrived. 🙂
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    @cheriej2042 which one do you have? Do you like it? I got their Nodin jacket, it just arrived. 🙂

The Nodin is great!! I just about live in mine.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    @cheriej2042 which one do you have? Do you like it? I got their Nodin jacket, it just arrived. 🙂[/quote

I have their Zeta super light gortex. I wanted something I could use for wind but also as a rain shell in Papua New Guinea (which got cancelled for now). I take it with me in Southern Cal all the time. It’s super light but I’ve used it for wind and also rain. It’s more $$ but their products last.
  • NorthCascades
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

The Nodin is great!! I just about live in mine.

I got to take mine out today, it was warm and sunny at the trailhead, the hike is straight up so I got sweaty, then nothing but snow above 5,500' and the wind was kind of chilly. Nodin treated me very well. I changed into a dry base layer at my high point and didn't need to take the jacket / wind shirt off until I got to the car. Probably 65F -> 40F -> 60F. It did better than I hoped. I really like how little room it takes in a day pack.