Would you define your diet as mostly historically traditional, imported traditional, or modern????

2»

Replies

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    <3 This is my new favorite show, thanks!!!

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    That's very true! I might should say the average" person of means". It was just a fun history article, and I can't find it now.. It was actually referencing a household management book that was advising what to buy per person for the week. I'm the one that divided it per day and said "some meat and veg"...the book said around 50 oz each of chicken and beef per week,( so 7.1428 oz chicken and 7.1248 oz beef per person day),but that if fish, puddings, and veg were bought that would decrease the amount of meat needed. It also said to buy 4.5 oz milk per week per person.
    I just mentioned it because I assume that would be considered my traditional diet since about 80% of ancestors come from that area, but I could never eat that much bread!:)
    I guess they would say I eat imported traditionally for the most part? I try to eat a Mediterranean diet even though I'm American and most of my ancestors are from England/Ireland. I read in an article that the typical British person ate a POUND of bread per day, 8oz potatoes, 2 beers, a couple T butter, 2T sugar, and some meat and vegetables in 1860!

Britain is a varied place - in 1860 people in rural Ireland and people in London may have had quite different staple foods.

I highly doubt the average ( read, not well- off ) person ate the equivalent of 3/4 loaf of bread per day in 1860 (my own standard loaf weighs 650g in total)

Not sure how much beer they would of drunk - for a long time beer was a drink much watered down compared to modern beer.

a couple of spoons of butter and 2 spoons of sugar doesnt sound much and ' some meat and vegetables' means anything - 'some' being such a poorly defined amount.

Not sue what the article was meaning to imply.

Supersizers Go is a fun show, although I'd take it with a grain of salt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aKwYECKxVw&amp;list=PLE6540D9DCB4A9949.

They eat as if they are in a particular time and place (and social class), usually London area. The one I linked is their Victorian one.

The first one I saw was the Restoration one, and at least in the (better off) class they were pretending to be, it seems like it was super insanely meat heavy. Apparently the Puritans were mocked for eating more vegetables, and at one point they went to a part of the country that was supposed to have more of them and got to eat a more veg-heavy meal and Sue (also from British Baking Show, and a comedian) said something like she actually appreciated the Puritans for the first time, since the amount of meat they'd been eating was making her feel pretty unwell.

The bread would be easier to eat if you were as active as you would have been living back then, perhaps. The insane grain servings (although servings are smaller than many imagine) from the old US pyramid I think was about getting sufficient cals cheaply.

From a slightly earlier period than 1860 (1720 or so), Benjamin Franklin wrote about the beer drinking in London, when he was working at a printing press there (not that people didn't drink heavily in America):

"At my first admission into this printinghouse I took to working at press, imagining I felt a want of the bodily exercise I had been used to in America, where presswork is mixed with composing. I drank only water; the other workmen, near fifty in number, were great guzzlers of beer. On occasion, I carried tip and down stairs a large form of types in each hand, when others carried but one in both hands. They wondered to see, from this and several instances, that the Water-American, as they called me, was stronger than themselves, who drank strong beer! We had an ale-house boy who attended always in the house to supply the workmen. My companion at the press drank every day a pint before breakfast, a pint at breakfast with his bread and cheese, a pint between breakfast and dinner, a pint at dinner, a pint in the afternoon about six O'clock, and another when he had done his day's work. I thought it a detestable custom; but it was necessary, he supposed, to drink strong beer that he might be strong to labor. I endeavored to convince him that the bodily strength afforded by beer could only be in proportion to the grain or flour of the barley dissolved in the water of which it was made; that there was more flour in a pennyworth of bread; and, therefore, if he would eat that with a pint of water, it would give him more strength than a quart of beer. He drank on, however, and had four or five shillings to pay out of his wages every Saturday night for that muddling liquor, an expense I was free from. And thus these poor devils kept themselves always under."

• NVintage
    That sounds like so much fun! I'd like to volunteer for museums, and do something like that if I ever retire .I usually do a week or two of Indigenous eating in November, eating only foods native to N.America, as part of the Decolonizing Diet project that was started a decade or so ago. I always lose a few pounds, probably because of cutting out dairy, eating mostly bison, fish, beans, squash, and corn.. and maple syrup.

https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2017/11/eating-great-lakes-decolonizing-diet/

kenyonhaff wrote: »
    So I'm a historical reenactor, so for a weekend event we will eat more or less exactly what our counterparts in 1775 Northern New England ate.

What I can tell you is that it's pretty healthy and delicious in the hands of a decent cook. Stuff like oatmeal, eggs, bread, cheese, vegetables and fruit, stew...a lot of stew. Beer. Coffee and tea. A cookie or two, maybe some apple pie. It's all based on historical recipes, and it's delicious.

Of course, we've also been active. Even if not playing soldier in the field, the kids are playing, the non-military are walking, doing camp chores, sometimes a game of rounders (proto-baseball). Most of us eat more than we would at home and/or work.

What I can tell you is if I do a week long event I eat a lot, but still tend to lose weight in the process.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    That sounds like so much fun! I'd like to volunteer for museums, and do something like that if I ever retire .I usually do a week or two of Indigenous eating in November, eating only foods native to N.America, as part of the Decolonizing Diet project that was started a decade or so ago. I always lose a few pounds, probably because of cutting out dairy, eating mostly bison, fish, beans, squash, and corn.. and maple syrup.

So I'm a historical reenactor, so for a weekend event we will eat more or less exactly what our counterparts in 1775 Northern New England ate.

What I can tell you is that it's pretty healthy and delicious in the hands of a decent cook. Stuff like oatmeal, eggs, bread, cheese, vegetables and fruit, stew...a lot of stew. Beer. Coffee and tea. A cookie or two, maybe some apple pie. It's all based on historical recipes, and it's delicious.

Of course, we've also been active. Even if not playing soldier in the field, the kids are playing, the non-military are walking, doing camp chores, sometimes a game of rounders (proto-baseball). Most of us eat more than we would at home and/or work.

What I can tell you is if I do a week long event I eat a lot, but still tend to lose weight in the process.

That's neat. I've always thought it would be fun to do a Thanksgiving with only foods that would have actually been eaten at the so-called first Thanksgiving, and was so happy when Top Chef once did a challenge on that theme. I did manage to do a modified (but extra small) version of it this year, since it ended up just being my sister and me.

When they did Colonial House (and all those other House shows, but that one was the most intriguing in theory), I wished I could do something similar for a week (but not televised, of course). It was frustrating to watch since the people actually selected mostly seemed to have no interest in actually trying to get into the parts. I didn't know people actually did historical reenacting outside of being employed at some location like Williamsburg (or CW stuff, of course). Interesting!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

That's neat. I've always thought it would be fun to do a Thanksgiving with only foods that would have actually been eaten at the so-called first Thanksgiving, and was so happy when Top Chef once did a challenge on that theme. I did manage to do a modified (but extra small) version of it this year, since it ended up just being my sister and me.

When they did Colonial House (and all those other House shows, but that one was the most intriguing in theory), I wished I could do something similar for a week (but not televised, of course). It was frustrating to watch since the people actually selected mostly seemed to have no interest in actually trying to get into the parts. I didn't know people actually did historical reenacting outside of being employed at some location like Williamsburg (or CW stuff, of course). Interesting!

I was thinking of the first Thanksgiving too, and more specifically, cranberries, which I consider inedible without sugar. Here's a reference to them being prepared with sugar in the 1600s:
    In the 1672 book New England Rarities Discovered author John Josselyn described cranberries, writing:

Sauce for the Pilgrims, cranberry or bearberry, is a small trayling [sic] plant that grows in salt marshes that are overgrown with moss. The berries are of a pale yellow color, afterwards red, as big as a cherry, some perfectly round, others oval, all of them hollow with sower [sic] astringent taste; they are ripe in August and September. They are excellent against the Scurvy. They are also good to allay the fervor of hoof diseases. The Indians and English use them mush, boyling [sic] them with sugar for sauce to eat with their meat; and it is a delicate sauce, especially with roasted mutton. Some make tarts with them as with gooseberries.
  • NVintage
    I usually have turkey, succotash with hominy, a few other veggies, a wild rice cornbread stuffing, and some cobblers and pecan pie. I do cheat by using chicken eggs and drinking coffee. I haven't eaten venison since I was a kid. After trying it my uncle said, " You just ate Bambi!" haha... I would love to try it again one year at Thanksgiving, though!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Our main protein was venison and I did do a cranberry sauce with it, which ended up not being too tart because I used meat stock, onion, sage, and butter (a cheat) with it. I was going to add maple syrup if needed, but it wasn't -- the savoriness cut the tartness enough, as well as being eaten with the venison.

We weren't particularly strict about the rules, and I made a succotash that included modern corn which would have been quite different from what they had.

SOUNDS AMAZING!
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    I’d say my diet is eclectic. I’ve been at this for a long time. Someday I’ll get it right. For now I’ll just keep hanging in there like a hair in a biscuit.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    To clear this up, the body DOESN'T distinguish food from anywhere in the world. It digests meat in the US the same way it does meat from Asia. You know what the biggest difference is..............................portions being eaten.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This part. I eat from all over (including every country on that bar chart, with the possible exception of Brazilian dishes) and have both processed foods along with whole foods.

Note to self: stuff your face with something from Brazil

If you're looking to get into Brazilian food, feijoada is a great dish.

Thank you! Don't mind if I do, @janejellyroll! 😋 Although I don't eat 🐷 so I'll fuss around with this recipe first...

https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/kosher-brazilian-feijoada/
  • gaiaresurrected
    gaiaresurrected Posts: 26 Member
    Interesting one, I was looking at a 'Healthy Heart' low cholesterol plan yesterday, and a lot of the 'swap this for that' suggestions seemed more based on an Indian diet than a stereotypical British one, I assumed there must be a higher incidence of raised cholesterol levels in specific ethnic groups?

I'd class my diet as 'traditional', in that I mostly eat from-scratch, 'whole' food, not processed/pre-prepared, but I wouldn't say it's locally/historically traditional, there are ingredients in my kitchen that my parents wouldn't recognise. I'm mostly plant-based, supplementing bought-in food with produce from the garden in season. The 'traditional' creeps in with me pickling/preserving whatever I don't use, and making my own breads/oatcakes/flatbreads etc.

I did have some giggles looking at a 'WW2 rationing recipes' site a while ago, SO much bulking things out with oats and potatoes, but energy expenditure would have been greater back then. I think my ex in-laws remembered post-war rationing, they seemed intent on feeding everyone until they were fit to burst!
  • lemurcat2
    The Supersizers show I mentioned upthread has a WW2 rationing episode, although a lot of the non food bits are pretty silly (which is either a plus or not depending on what you think of the particular brand of humor, I kind of liked it).
  • gaiaresurrected
    gaiaresurrected Posts: 26 Member
    The Supersizers show I mentioned upthread has a WW2 rationing episode, although a lot of the non food bits are pretty silly (which is either a plus or not depending on what you think of the particular brand of humor, I kind of liked it).

I adapted a WW2 'Haggis' recipe to make vege Black Pudding with oats, barley, and beetroot from the garden, all the seasonings, with none of the animal fats, it worked, same theory with some vegan sausages made with oats, seasonings, and dried sage and onion stuffing- a lot of my meal choices are based on affordability, the only reason I have avocados in the fridge is that they were reduced for quick sale in the supermarket.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Our main protein was venison and I did do a cranberry sauce with it, which ended up not being too tart because I used meat stock, onion, sage, and butter (a cheat) with it. I was going to add maple syrup if needed, but it wasn't -- the savoriness cut the tartness enough, as well as being eaten with the venison.

We weren't particularly strict about the rules, and I made a succotash that included modern corn which would have been quite different from what they had.

I'm down to try savory cranberries! I'll try to remember to get to the abandoned but still productive bog and pick them myself this year too.

Speaking of traditional vs modern diets, a recent Milk St Radio podcast was talking about recent decline in sugar sales and mentioned that before sugar cane was widely available there was no dessert course in Europe, which remains true in many cultures today - they add fruit to savory foods.

https://www.177milkstreet.com/radio/alpine-cooking-a-culinary-adventure-at-3-000-feet-1 (With Adam Gopnik starting at 42:45)

I've always liked fruit in savory foods, but my partner does not, however, after listening to this piece I've been working it back in. One of my favorites is my mash up of Nigella's "Chicken and Apricot Masala" and the "Chicken in Tomato Saffron Cream" recipe from my "The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World."

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5593-chicken-and-apricot-masala
  • lemurcat2
    One of my favorite "fruit in savory foods" options is tagines.

(I downloaded the Milk Street podcast based on your recommendation, but haven't listened yet. I also found one by Dave Chang that I'm interested in, although I think they talk about a variety of stuff besides just food. I used to have some food podcasts I liked, but have been in a rut.)
  • NVintage
    Here is a vintage diet from 1934! :D
    https://youtu.be/yn3KZ6UtRxI