What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    Olafiina wrote: »
    I have a super controversial opinion, One I've literally never met another soul who agrees with me. I. Hate. Pasta. There's a small amount I can stomach if I have no other option, but pasta/noodles are dead last on my food hierarchy. I've tried fresh, homemade. Different kinds of sauces, soups...No I just really hate something about pasta, Always have.
    Ironically I'm not a picky eater, I love all kinds of oddities and weird things. But I draw the line at pasta that is universally adored :D

Gnocchi is surprisingly fine though, Even if that's closer to the dumpling family.
    I have a super controversial opinion, One I've literally never met another soul who agrees with me. I. Hate. Pasta. There's a small amount I can stomach if I have no other option, but pasta/noodles are dead last on my food hierarchy. I've tried fresh, homemade. Different kinds of sauces, soups...No I just really hate something about pasta, Always have.
    Ironically I'm not a picky eater, I love all kinds of oddities and weird things. But I draw the line at pasta that is universally adored :D

Gnocchi is surprisingly fine though, Even if that's closer to the dumpling family.

Truthfully, I grew up on lots of pasta. Now it's such a waste of calories to me. Same with most breads. I don't crave it. Or pizza!
  • Olafiina
    Olafiina Posts: 14 Member

I sympathize.
    I just don’t love pasta. People talk about Mac and cheese being the ultimate comfort food. No thanks. I just don’t enjoy eating cardboard, no matter how you dress it up. I don’t like the gnocchi I’ve tried. I know you can get all kinds, so some other kind might be ok. I do love southern dumplings. The light, fluffy steamed ones, served over meat, veg, and yummy broth.
    Funny enough Mac and cheese is actually one of the pastas I WILL eat if I have to, But it's no where near a "comfort" food. It's just "not horrible" haha. I agree with pasta tasting cardboardy, Cardboard with a slimy texture(Sometimes homemade/fresh can taste doughy for variation?!) :s . I really like pumpkin gnocchi, it has a surprisingly good flavor but I love squash! I always boil then fry it though so it's not as squidgy and soggy
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Truthfully, I grew up on lots of pasta. Now it's such a waste of calories to me. Same with most breads. I don't crave it. Or pizza!
    Hah see I more than make up for my lack of pasta in bread and pizza!! Bread is my "carb" of choice mmmh brioche, bagels, naan.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Janatki wrote: »
    ^^ Sorry, but is food of the gods for me! Has to be oven baked and crispy........ mmmmmmmm!

I think that's the key for me - I think bacon is really good, but it has to be cooked well, and many people simply don't know (or don't bother) how to do it right.

I have family members who insist I am wrong about this and just being a snob, but factory farmed meat simply does not taste as good. I also really dislike milk from the regular grocery store because it tastes like corn. I grew up eating a SAD and thought it was fine tasting, even if I wasn't a fan of the methods, but once I started eating locally raised meat and dairy I couldn't go back to the other.

I can agree with the opinion of milk... I grew up drinking milk straight from my grandfather's dairy cows. Store bought milk is disgusting! I haven't had a glass of milk since my grandfather retired and shut down the farm.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,809 Member
    I don't like bagels
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

And bacon ruins everything it touches.

Now THAT’s unpopular!

Bacon is a vile, horrid absolutely foul gross abomination

I'm team 'NOOOOOO bacon'....even when I ate meat as a kid - bacon was always made for the rest of family - I hated it...along with hamburgers - I'd try to avoid meat as much as I could lol

I’m not a fan of bacon either. Even as a kid all my friends were obsessed with it and I always hated it. I am just not a fan of fatty meat and it makes me feel sick. I haven’t had real bacon in like 15 years. I love the smell of it though. I don’t really care for bacon flavored things either.

Very much the same as you...fatty meat 🤢. I remember my brother just 'losing his mind' if he knew Mom was frying up bacon....Weird how I still like the smell too....very weird indeed!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    RE: bacon

I like bacon. I mean, it’s fine, and if it’s in something, I don’t complain. I may even occasionally make it for a special breakfast. It’s pretty good if you get good quality, thick cut and cook it just right.

BUT, I do not agree with people who think it’s this “food of the gods” and everything should have bacon. I don’t understand the hysteria.

100%

But I do like various cuts of pork more than bacon, and I certainly don't think bacon is icky, although it's overrated. I can see thinking pigs are cool, smart animals (I do), and not wanting to eat them, but I certainly don't think they taste bad.
  • lemurcat2
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Janatki wrote: »
    ^^ Sorry, but is food of the gods for me! Has to be oven baked and crispy........ mmmmmmmm!

I think that's the key for me - I think bacon is really good, but it has to be cooked well, and many people simply don't know (or don't bother) how to do it right.

I have family members who insist I am wrong about this and just being a snob, but factory farmed meat simply does not taste as good. I also really dislike milk from the regular grocery store because it tastes like corn. I grew up eating a SAD and thought it was fine tasting, even if I wasn't a fan of the methods, but once I started eating locally raised meat and dairy I couldn't go back to the other.

I can agree with the opinion of milk... I grew up drinking milk straight from my grandfather's dairy cows. Store bought milk is disgusting! I haven't had a glass of milk since my grandfather retired and shut down the farm.

I read that milk was good for weight loss and had it regularly for breakfast in 2005-06 (I lost 50 lbs), but I realize that's silly and for most of my life I've kind of had in my head that milk is for kids (my parent's view) or just a waste of cals (my view of drinking most things with cals). I don't really like milk (don't hate it either, it's okay), but have no desire to drink it, do never buy it unless I'm making something that needs it. As a kid I thought it was okay, drank it because we were required. I did have farm milk occasionally and didn't perceive it as different.
  • PAPYRUS3
    Re: 'Milk'...another thing I've never liked. I don't know what my Mom was thinking but she would buy skim milk powdered 'milk' and that's what we were expected to drink....Probably a time saver for her as my brother drank milk like crazy.
    Never liked the 'real' stuff either though...

Eggnog is another gross thing for me too lol!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Re: 'Milk'...another thing I've never liked. I don't know what my Mom was thinking but she would buy skim milk powdered 'milk' and that's what we were expected to drink....Probably a time saver for her as my brother drank milk like crazy.
    Never liked the 'real' stuff either though...

Eggnog is another gross thing for me too lol!

I'm a "whole milk" or bust kind of person. I know it's more calories and all the nutritional advice says "low fat dairy," but we do full-fat everything in our house and it tastes better. I'd rather have less of the "real thing" than more of a less flavorful thing.

I grew up drinking 1% or skim and I don't know how I did it, besides just not knowing any better. Powdered milk is fine for some recipes or to be stashed in case of emergencies. I could put up with powdered if the zombies were coming. But otherwise - blechhhhhh.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I HATE HATE HATE sweet pickles.
  • lemurcat2

100% agree.

And I adore dill pickles.
  • PAPYRUS3
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

100% agree.

And I adore dill pickles.

Sweet pickles = 😫
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Sweet gherkin pickles are good.

But not those sweet bread and butter pickle slices...yuk.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Milk. We milked our own cow every morning and evening, so I’ve definitely had my share of Very fresh milk. As the baby, I often got the first glass—hot cream. Real comfort food for me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Is this the disagree thread? Lol
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Is this the disagree thread? Lol

Well, yeah, because they are supposed to be unpopular opinions.
  • lemurcat2
    Well, Noreen got 3 disagrees for saying she hates sweet pickles. I'm assuming she probably does hate sweet pickles! ;-)
  • Olafiina
    Olafiina Posts: 14 Member
    My favorite "pickle" is more of a cucumber kimchi, It's sweet, salty, sour and spicy all in one! But yeah bread and butter pickles are weird to me, They're like dessert pickles!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    I don't get why people like pickles. All I taste is overwhelming sourness.

However, I am also a supertaster, so that may play into it.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    some times it feels like we are chasing our tails here....but...Clausen dill pickles hits the spot