What is realistic weight loss?

Hi, I'm 65, started at 195 on April 1. Six weeks in im at 188 - UGH! I'm following 1200 cal/day and it's not easy! I thought I would be down 10-15 lbs after six weeks, especially since this is the FIRST six weeks. Am I crazy? Has anyone else run into this kind of slow weight loss? I'm drinking lots of water and walking every day, just begining to wonder why I shouldn't go get a donut.😫😫😫

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Seven pounds is nothing to sneeze at! While some people lose a lot at the beginning, that isn't everyone's experience especially since you probably don't have a lot to lose.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    The most I have ever lost in a month is about 7lbs and that was when I was obese. Once I dropped to a normal BMI it was more like 3lbs a month. Most of the time it was 5lbs a month. It's all cool. It's not like I get to lose the weight and then go back to what I was before. What I'm doing now I will continue to do, with the addition of a single candy bar's worth of calories. It's gonna take as long as it takes for my life to be reflected on the scale.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    I like what 88 olds said. 1 pound per week is realistic. You are doing really well.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    Sounds like your plan is fine. It’s your expectations that need adjustment.

I get it. After years of reading screaming headlines “Lose 15 pounds This Week!!!” while standing in checkout lines, I thought it would melt off, too.

You are doing fabulously well. A pound a week thus far is nothing to sneeze at. There are many here who would kill for that.

I’m going to echo others above, though, and suggest raising your calories. Lose slower, maintain longer is what I’ve noticed here. Learn habits you can carry forward.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    7lbs in just six weeks is fantastic! Slower weight loss is so important, especially when it comes to maintenance. There are no quick fixes as this is a lifestyle change, and you'll have to continue to do at least some of the same things you are doing now in order maintain your weight once you reach your goal. 0.5-1lb is what you should aim for a week.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks for posting @texcollins - I'm in a similar boat! MFP also gave me the 1200 per day range option on the basis of a 1lb per week loss and it's all been MUCH slower than anticipated but I'm here for @88olds points, the scale is (slowly) going downwards and I've been making much better food choices to accommodate the calorie cut so I'm already accidentally pivoting towards that all-important lifestyle change. Hang in there, we'll get there :smile:
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    I'm averaging 7lbs per month and it's realistic for me. I don't eat back exercise calories and I walk a lot. If I didn't then I would be expecting 4lbs per month. Watch YouTube videos about what 5lbs looks like if you're dissatisfied it will help to know if you lost 5lbs that's 5 cans worth of fat.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    1lb a week is right on the money for a sustainable weight loss rate! Celebrate with a dance party!

My mantra is to consider what % calorie deficit you're willing to sustain for as long as it takes to reach a sensible weight. You are describing yours as "not easy," which means you can either 1) continue to tough it out, or 2) go to a smaller deficit for longer.

Best of luck!
  • tasharikley
    tasharikley Posts: 7 Member

Wow everyone! Very well explained and inspiring
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Agree with everyone who has commented on here so far, you're definitely right on track I would say!

A 1lb a week calorie deficit for me is 1,287 calories and I tend to average a little lower than that and I averaged 1.36 lbs over the last 5 weeks. Weight loss is not fast and is not meant to be, the whole goal in the end is to not gain it back so you should be eating generally how you will eat when you get to your goal.

My advice would be to maybe think about changing your goal to .5 or 1 lb a week (if you haven't already) so it is not so hard to stick with. 1200 calories is not a lot as you are aware!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    1% a week of your total body weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    I increased my calories per day 100 calories and weight loss stalled for a whole month. It is not fun even though I understand that this is because I am older and have a lot fewer calories than I used to have to eat if I want to maintain a good weight.
    Thanks to mfp people for sharing their long time experience making it a lot less dour keeping patience and carrying on. I gave what you were advising a try and because I am within less than 10 pounds of my weight loss goal I really think that this is the best way to make it work for the rest of my life.
    Learning how much to eat to maintain without a doubt should be better/easier/simpler after eating to lose .5 pounds a week for a couple of months.