High carb diet

I’ve been eating a lot of carbs while dieting. 150-200 a day. I am eating at a 500 calorie deficit. Will eating so many carbs hinder my weight loss? I know people say a calorie is a calorie and it doesn’t matter as long as I’m not over eating but I also hear so much talk about not eating a lot of carbs because they turn into sugar and become fat. So confused!

Replies

• Godlord1488
    Godlord1488 Posts: 37 Member
    theyre not instafat gainers no. they just get bad raps bc ppl tend to over do it on simple carbs i.e. sugar cereal white carbs and baked goods....

i focus more on total calories and less on macros. but everyone has diff goals..i knoweven when i eat whole meal bread and museli i feel a bit sluggish than if i eat raw meats or fishes. or fruit. i wouldnt worry about good carbs tho
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    That's not a lot of carbs. I eat more than that pretty daily and still lost over 40lbs

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    NO. is the simple answer. calories are calories. if you are in a deficit youll lose fat. From a health standpoint then i would recommend making sure you get a balance of all three. If you perform resistence training then i would recommend that you consume more protien than the average person e.g around 1gram per 1lbs of lean body mass.

Carbs are awesome and your friend. so is fat. I would argue that the people who lose weight and keep it off eat a balanced diet. focus on - calories, then protein and then the rest.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    As others have said, carbs are not the enemy. But saying that, they can be problematic.

Carbs are found in carrots, pineapple, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and bran cereal. There are also carbs in bagels, cookies, potato chips, Little Debbie Cakes, and Fruit Loops cereal. Both lists are carbs. Carbs give quick energy, but fade quickly. What can happen is a "carb crash"--you lose energy and get hungry within a short span of time. Refined carbs exaggerate this the most.

In my experience, protein-rich foods (while lowering refined carbs) was a big key to my weight loss. Protein rich foods kept me satiated longer, as well as avoiding energy crashes which tended to leave me wanting more carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I’ve been eating a lot of carbs while dieting. 150-200 a day. I am eating at a 500 calorie deficit. Will eating so many carbs hinder my weight loss? I know people say a calorie is a calorie and it doesn’t matter as long as I’m not over eating but I also hear so much talk about not eating a lot of carbs because they turn into sugar and become fat. So confused!

Calories (energy) in excess of what your body requires is stored as fat (stored energy)...not anyone particular macro-nutrient.

Low carb diets work for many people for a couple of reasons; 1) when you substantially restrict one of the three macro-nutrients available to you, most likely, you're also going to substantially restrict calories; and 2) carbohydrates carry water, so when you cut out carbohydrates you also typically see a big initial drop on the scale which can be motivating...but it's mostly water weight, not fat. Another thing to consider is that when you're done dieting and start to eat carbohydrates again, your scale weight can jump substantially...again, due to water.

Low carb diets also come with some potential pitfalls. It is not particularly unusual for low carb dieters to be low in fiber, even if they're eating quite a bit of veg and some fruit because the biggest bang for your buck fiber wise are carbohydrates like whole grains, oats, legumes and lentils, root vegetables, etc...usually big no-noes on a low carb diet. Carbohydrates in general, also make up the bulk of other micro-nutrients like vitamins and minerals...if one is eating a good amount of veg and fruit, not really too much of an issue, but there are plenty of people like my late father who would go on his low carb kicks and it was eggs and bacon and steak and burgers all day, everyday.

Cutting back on carbs also typically would result in cutting back on things typically referred to as "junk food"...your cakes and cookies and whatnot most of which ironically have a higher percentage of calories coming from fat than carbohydrates...but they are calorie dense and so again, a big chunk of calories is cut.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I've lost 20 pounds since Jan 2 while eating over 200 grams of carbs most days, and sometimes well over 200 g.

However, *I* would not have been able to do that if most of those carbs came from foods like baked goods, ice cream, and pizza, because while I find those foods yummy, they are not very satiating to me.

Getting my carbs from fruits, veggies, potatoes, rice, legumes, etc., helps keep me full and thus able to maintain a calorie deficit.