Leg Pain

Good Morning All!

I was hoping someone had some tips and tricks to helping with leg/knee pain. I took a step backwards last week due to the pain. It starts at my knees and radiates down the side and the half. My preferred method of exercise is the elliptical. I am overweight which I know adds to the issue.
I appreciate any help. TIA!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    You need a professional for this one. Doctor or PT.

I know that being heavy sometimes make it difficult to seek medical advice. (Some doctors and nurses are stuck on just advising you to lose weight. Duh!) Using phrases like "I'm trying to stay active, but I'm having a problem with my knee" can help them get it. Maybe for this problem you can get a direct referral to a physical therapist and skip the doctor's office entirely. Then find a PT you like. (There are a lot of them and they need the work, so don't compromise.)

Let me say that I was devoted to the elliptical when I was heavier. It's a godsend and I hope you can keep at it. As you can see from my profile pic, I also love swimming. I went back to swimming when I injured my knee. Any sport in the water is perfect for when you're a bit heavier-- if you can stand wearing a bathing suit!

Best of luck!
  • CraftBeerChic
    CraftBeerChic Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you for taking the time out of your day to give me some excellent advise! The Dr keeps saying oh its a weight problem. How can I exercise when the pain is so severe it hurts to walk. After reading your post Im not going to except that answer anymore. Im trying to loose weight to take care of issues like that.

I love my elliptical, that has always been my go to. I hate slowing the process down. I tried some new stretches today so hopefully I have a better result. Thanks a bunch! Good luck to you!
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    try a physio, not a doctor?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Betting it's your striding position on the elliptical. If your knees turn inward (common amongst very overweight people) the repetitive movement is putting a lot of strain on your LCL which would explain the pain on the outside and down the calf. It's going to have be a conscious effort to NOT let your knees turn in when you stride.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    perhaps see a podiatrist or a fitness shoe expert. You could have fallen arches, and need arch support in your shoes. This was a game changer for me!
  • CraftBeerChic
    I will give this a try! Thank you
  • CraftBeerChic
    Ninerbuff I never thought of that. I will be paying more attention to my stride and correcting what needs changed. Thanks!