Who else is trying to resist to buy all the clothes that finally look great on you?

2»

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    If I had just reached my goal weight and intended to stay that size, I wouldn't bother even trying to resist. If it was about stuff I expect would be too big soon, I'd do my best to only buy some key pieces, get things I can get more mileage out of, and so on. I'm currently in a different kind of resisting mode, as I need maternity clothing and would love to buy all kinds of cute stuff but know I most definitely won't be wearing it forever as baby bumps come with a due date.

Adapting the same strategies I previously have to weight loss and what I hoped were in-between sizes, I've been buying what is needed to stay comfortable (=underwear that fits) and cheap pants and leggings that stay up. For tops I've bought a couple of dresses that should fit throughout this pregnancy, and basic tanks and t-shirts I can wear with cardigans, hoodies and other stuff I can keep unzipped/unbuttoned. I cleaned out my current "normal-size" wardrobe once, and am trying to get more mileage out of my loose tunics and shirts, stretchy dresses etc. I've previously used similar strategies for weight-loss clothing: tanks and t-shirts that fit and extra mileage out of sleeved clothing layered on top, loose shirts and dresses that are tighter at first but still look good loose, and comfy underwear.

Another consideration is lockdown restrictions: if you're still not at your goal, it doesn't make much sense to buy your dream clothes if you're stuck at home in your pj's and those dream clothes are going to be too big by the time you have a chance to wear them.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Kind of related to topic but what online sites do you all use? I see so many really cute tops on sites I've never tried but hesitate because I'm not sure of quality.
    TBH I'd like to stray from my comfort zone and pick different things, even just different T-shirt designs. :)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Kind of related to topic but what online sites do you all use? I see so many really cute tops on sites I've never tried but hesitate because I'm not sure of quality.
    TBH I'd like to stray from my comfort zone and pick different things, even just different T-shirt designs. :)

Honestly, I do a lot of thredup and sometimes poshmark and just filter by brands I know. They've got good buyer protection, thred up is vetted for condition, and it's relatively inexpensive. I just don't branch out a lot if I can't go see things in person.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    If I had just reached my goal weight and intended to stay that size, I wouldn't bother even trying to resist. If it was about stuff I expect would be too big soon, I'd do my best to only buy some key pieces, get things I can get more mileage out of, and so on. I'm currently in a different kind of resisting mode, as I need maternity clothing and would love to buy all kinds of cute stuff but know I most definitely won't be wearing it forever as baby bumps come with a due date.

Adapting the same strategies I previously have to weight loss and what I hoped were in-between sizes, I've been buying what is needed to stay comfortable (=underwear that fits) and cheap pants and leggings that stay up. For tops I've bought a couple of dresses that should fit throughout this pregnancy, and basic tanks and t-shirts I can wear with cardigans, hoodies and other stuff I can keep unzipped/unbuttoned. I cleaned out my current "normal-size" wardrobe once, and am trying to get more mileage out of my loose tunics and shirts, stretchy dresses etc. I've previously used similar strategies for weight-loss clothing: tanks and t-shirts that fit and extra mileage out of sleeved clothing layered on top, loose shirts and dresses that are tighter at first but still look good loose, and comfy underwear.

Another consideration is lockdown restrictions: if you're still not at your goal, it doesn't make much sense to buy your dream clothes if you're stuck at home in your pj's and those dream clothes are going to be too big by the time you have a chance to wear them.

This is very smart! I actually wear a lot of the same clothes whether I'm pregnant or not. Empire waist dresses, elastic waist skirts to go over or under the bump, tunic tops, and cardigans. This might not work with your timing but I also really like knee high or thigh high stockings/tights in the winter rather than anything that goes over the stomach. If you plan on breastfeeding, check your necklines or see what can be easily lifted from the bottom. I have a couple very cute "nursing dresses" but for the most part, I just adapt regular clothes. I've had five kids, may have a few more, and I do not have the storage space, budget, or even the mental capacity to handle three different full clothing sets. As much as possible, things work for all three states of life.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

I like eShakti for dresses, though they also do tops. They are on the pricier end (at least for me, where my in-person shopping is almost entirely thrift stores and clearance racks), but everything I've ever ordered from them has been very high quality and they do good coupons occasionally. Some of the designs aren't to my taste, but you can customize the designs you like and have them made to your specific measurements, change a neckline or skirt or sleeve length if you wish.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    hipari wrote: »

This is very smart! I actually wear a lot of the same clothes whether I'm pregnant or not. Empire waist dresses, elastic waist skirts to go over or under the bump, tunic tops, and cardigans. This might not work with your timing but I also really like knee high or thigh high stockings/tights in the winter rather than anything that goes over the stomach. If you plan on breastfeeding, check your necklines or see what can be easily lifted from the bottom. I have a couple very cute "nursing dresses" but for the most part, I just adapt regular clothes. I've had five kids, may have a few more, and I do not have the storage space, budget, or even the mental capacity to handle three different full clothing sets. As much as possible, things work for all three states of life.

Thanks for your tips! I usually hate thigh highs with a burning passion, so can't imagine liking them now. I've had some surprising issues with dresses and tunics I thought would fit, since my hips got wider. I've been frustrated enough with my pregnancy clothing issues that I haven't given much thought to nursing wardrobe, except that finding suitable bras will likely be a pain due to my unusual cup size. I figured I'll start thinking about that once I'm closer to delivery, have a better idea of what my cup size will be when breastfeeding etc.

Overall, I think there are major similarities in weight loss and maternity clothing strategies: clothes that look as nice as possible on as large a size spectrum as possible, and lots of mileage.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I actually REALLY need to try on clothes since I've lost more weight and am not even sure what size I am, especially if I don't know the brand. I'm not wanting to lose more weight, so this is it.

Went to Marshall's yesterday since I was near there anyway and need shorts that fit. Annoyed to find out that there dressing rooms are still clothes, so I just bought what I really looked and tried them on at home. Turns out I'm smaller than I thought, so will have to return/exchange some things. Ugh!
  • DeterminedDivaMN
    DeterminedDivaMN Posts: 20 Member
    When I was losing the bulk of my weight (lost 190 lbs), I would flip my closet by shopping at thrift stores. $60 and a couple of bags of clothes. I'm amazed at the selection, quality, and price of clothing at these stores. In fact, this is what I do when we are on vacation too. Instead of buying souvenirs, the hubs drops me off at a Goodwill and I buy a few things. LOL Although now that I've gained a lot back, I'll be actively replenishing as needed when I lose these extra pounds.

Although now that I work from home, there really isn't as much need for "extra" clothes. In the winter, I wear sweats and in the summer, I wear shorts and a t-shirt. I'd love to figure out a capsule wardrobe for my non-work days, although technically I could wear the same "non-work" outfit every weekend and no one would probably even notice.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Honestly, I do a lot of thredup and sometimes poshmark and just filter by brands I know. They've got good buyer protection, thred up is vetted for condition, and it's relatively inexpensive. I just don't branch out a lot if I can't go see things in person.

I'll check those out, thanks!!
    @penguinmama87 I did look that site up and they are expensive, for me too. :)

I actually went to a "Life Is Good" store yesterday and I love their shirts!! Their upstairs was devoted to clearance items and had lots to pick from but since I couldn't decide which one I liked, I bought dh a shirt instead. Lol Now that I know the store's there, I'll go back. Life Is Good makes me happy. :)

They have some kind of program on Amazon where you can get items, then send back what you don't like and only pay for what you keep. Can't remember the name but has anyone tried something like that?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Lately I've been buying almost all my clothes from the same brand. Everybody loves the way their clothes fit, they're extremely comfortable, and they look good. I can buy them online because I know they'll fit exactly right.

My boyfriend can do this with LL Bean. The first time we went to an outlet I was flabbergasted when he bought stuff without trying it on. Alas, this is only true for their men's wear.
  • kshama2001

I'll check those out, thanks!!
    @penguinmama87 I did look that site up and they are expensive, for me too. :)

I actually went to a "Life Is Good" store yesterday and I love their shirts!! Their upstairs was devoted to clearance items and had lots to pick from but since I couldn't decide which one I liked, I bought dh a shirt instead. Lol Now that I know the store's there, I'll go back. Life Is Good makes me happy. :)

They have some kind of program on Amazon where you can get items, then send back what you don't like and only pay for what you keep. Can't remember the name but has anyone tried something like that?

I was shopping for just plain brown leggings on Amazon the other day. I always read one star reviews. These were so depressing. Quality was junk and sizing is not American.

You are thinking of Prime Wardrobe. I've never used it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GCQDLMG7C2YEXSM4
  • kshama2001
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I'm a bit a cheap @$$. So, I hate buying cloths. Same old stuff is good enough for me. When it wears out, then I replace it.

I'm about two years past when I should have replaced some of my summer clothes...
  • AvaEBerry
    AvaEBerry Posts: 161 Member
    Definitely me. I started out by buying ALL the workout clothes. Now I'm starting to buy jeans and shorts and cute tops. It feels so good to pick up something in a store and pretty much know it will fit.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    I shop on Poshmark, so I don't resist much...lol.
    I've gone from a 3x to an xl, so I've replaced almost everything I own twice and will probably have to do so again. Before Covid I had bought a pretty dress, I have yet to have anywhere to wear it though.
    I have donated so many clothes that our local charity does not want any more from me