What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I'm generally neutral on pickles - I'll eat them if they're there but I don't go looking for them. The exception is really garlicky crisp pickles, so garlicky they cause a little extra pucker - addictive. I probably reek of garlic for days after the rare occasion I treat myself to a jar :lol:
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Olafiina wrote: »
    I have a super controversial opinion, One I've literally never met another soul who agrees with me. I. Hate. Pasta. There's a small amount I can stomach if I have no other option, but pasta/noodles are dead last on my food hierarchy. I've tried fresh, homemade. Different kinds of sauces, soups...No I just really hate something about pasta, Always have.
    Ironically I'm not a picky eater, I love all kinds of oddities and weird things. But I draw the line at pasta that is universally adored :D

Gnocchi is surprisingly fine though, Even if that's closer to the dumpling family.

I sympathize.
    I just don’t love pasta. People talk about Mac and cheese being the ultimate comfort food. No thanks. I just don’t enjoy eating cardboard, no matter how you dress it up. I don’t like the gnocchi I’ve tried. I know you can get all kinds, so some other kind might be ok. I do love southern dumplings. The light, fluffy steamed ones, served over meat, veg, and yummy broth.

My father loathed pasta. And rice.
    When my mother made pasta bolognaise, she would pour over the meat sauce over some potatoes for him.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 335 Member
    @g2renew I’ve only used the recipe for split pea soup from The Joy of Cooking. Beyond delicious! Even my kids loved it. Of course, it is green colored and sadly, my kids would refer to it as horse vomit. Oh, are we having horse vomit tonight? Always the comedians. As an aside, I don’t think anyone in my family has actually has seen horse vomit.

Not to derail the topic, but horses are incapable of vomiting. This is why colic can be life-threatening for them.

"The more you know..." :smile:

I was debating if I was going to put this out there. Thanks for posting it!!
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Well, Noreen got 3 disagrees for saying she hates sweet pickles. I'm assuming she probably does hate sweet pickles! ;-)

I have wondered about the 'disagree' on similar posts! LOL
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    As an east texas/west louisiana native....i hate crawfish.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    re: pickles... only refrigerated pickles are good! Anything shelf stable is vile.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I also don't like banana splits (more for you @pancakerunner 🤣🤣)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited May 2021
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Not kidding- I don't like bananas in anything, only on thier own. I used to make this crazy combo of vegan butter, banana and sugar free maple...lol!
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

gladly!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I don't like fresh fruit on my ice cream (including bananas).
    I barely tolerate frozen fruit in ice cream (i.e. strawberry ice cream).
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Troll wrote: »
    As an east texas/west louisiana native....i hate crawfish.

We should start a sub-category..."unpopular opinion because of where I live.."

For me, that would be that I don't like Italian beef sandwiches or deep-dish pizza.
  • pancakerunner
    teamhugcpt wrote: »
    Celery is delicious and refreshing and it didn't ask to be dragged into the whole "good foods / bad foods" thing.

I don't think celery is satiating in the slightest, but I love it as part of a veggie platter or as a quick filler. when I have it I never really weigh it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited May 2021
    Just wondering— at the grocery store where I shop most often, they have a jumble of things on sale sometimes. Usually if you see something good, you better grab it quick, or it’ll be gone. But they have some Halotop that’s been on sale for about 2 weeks. I was never interested in trying Halotop, so I didn’t look at what flavor it is, but I did look at the price. It’s $1.50 for a pint. Isn’t that super cheap? Why has no one bought it? Is Halotop over?
    (I watched a revue of ice cream on TV tonight. Halotop was the only brand they recommend you don’t buy.)