Tips for staying consistent

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Figure out what your triggers are, what causes you to stumble most often. That will be a good starting point... otherwise we're just throwing darts at a dartboard.

Right now it’s chocolate 😔. I don’t have self control over it at the moment!
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    edited May 2021
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Figure out what your triggers are, what causes you to stumble most often. That will be a good starting point... otherwise we're just throwing darts at a dartboard.

Right now it’s chocolate 😔. I don’t have self control over it at the moment!

Maybe try including chocolate as a "finisher" to a meal instead of it being a stand-alone snack. I myself enjoy chocolate but when I eat it as a snack I'm not satisfied and keep on wanting more and more.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You likely have no set up eating plan. You could be thinking about just counting calories, think you have room to have a little more, then blow it and then think "okay, I blew this, so day 1 tomorrow". You have no plan of action. And until you do, you'll continue to procrastinate till a month before the wedding and then go into "crash" mode to try to meet your goal. Seen this scenario 1000 times over.
    Make a plan for your meals. How many you'll eat in a day, allowable calories for each meal and then stick to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

My meals are great but it’s when I snack on chocolate in between my meals and I just keep eating over my calories even with just a 250 calorie deficit. I probably need to rebuild discipline again.

I think there's a couple ways to go about this:

1. Go cold turkey and just don't buy it at all. If it's not there, you can't eat it. I've done this with several items I found irresistible. In most cases this is a temporary measure, once I figure out I won't really die without it it's easier to be reasonable.
    2. Buy less at one time - only enough for you to eat a reasonable amount between now and the next time you shop. If you overeat it and it's gone, oh well, you have to wait.
    3. In combination with 2, you could actually pre-measure it out into reasonable snack size portions. I try to avoid eating anything directly out of the container anymore because it's very tempting to go overboard. But this is another step that can help - you already know exactly how much you're having and you can empty the container you're using.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    You likely have no set up eating plan. You could be thinking about just counting calories, think you have room to have a little more, then blow it and then think "okay, I blew this, so day 1 tomorrow". You have no plan of action. And until you do, you'll continue to procrastinate till a month before the wedding and then go into "crash" mode to try to meet your goal. Seen this scenario 1000 times over.
    Make a plan for your meals. How many you'll eat in a day, allowable calories for each meal and then stick to it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My meals are great but it’s when I snack on chocolate in between my meals and I just keep eating over my calories even with just a 250 calorie deficit. I probably need to rebuild discipline again.

If you struggle with discipline then you need to get that stuff out of the house...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If you struggle with discipline then you need to get that stuff out of the house...

Totally agree. I know I buy these mini grandma's cookies by the case and am usually good with portion control but stress eating is screwing that up so it goes off my shopping list for now.

Also, OP, no one's said this and it may or may not be right but you seem to be pressuring yourself to lose some of the weight before that wedding and I remember reading how wearing clothes that fit right and make you feel good also helps.

Even if a person wants to lose weight, I think they should also be happy with who they are at that time. If that makes sense. :)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021

do you set up your environment for success? Are the carbs, junk food, treats..sugar..chocolate and fatty foods that tempt you TOTALLY out of your home, car, and workspace? Have you made "rules" you stick by.. like no fast food or takeaway food? Do you have a great lunch cooler to pack healthy foods and snacks to keep with you so you never get weak and buy junk food?

I mean no to all of this but I sure am down from obese to a healthy BMI. Not really consistent, either, just within my calorie limit more often than not. Yet, here I am.

Weird.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    edited May 2021
    do you set up your environment for success? Are the carbs, junk food, treats..sugar..chocolate and fatty foods that tempt you TOTALLY out of your home, car, and workspace? Have you made "rules" you stick by.. like no fast food or takeaway food? Do you have a great lunch cooler to pack healthy foods and snacks to keep with you so you never get weak and buy junk food?

I mean no to all of this but I sure am down from obese to a healthy BMI. Not really consistent, either, just within my calorie limit more often than not. Yet, here I am.

Weird.

Yeah, all of this, plus what @sijomial said on the previous page. Consistency is what works for some people, but there are workable alternatives to "stick to your near-exact calorie goal every single day, logging and weighing every item" (if that's what consistency means).

It's really useful to understand your own strengths, limitations, and preferences, and figure out a way to game them. The easier and more natural (to you) the approach, the higher the odds of success.

For some, consistency and strict inviolable rules is that way. For others, it can be logging and averaging a certain deficit over the course of a week (with high and low days in there, formal like 5:2 IF or more loosey-goosey); doing one week on, one week off deficit (eating at maintenance on the off week); or even a rule like @wunderkindking seems to be running of just eating any number of calories that's at or under maintenance.

Me, I'm in maintenance, and calorie bank (eat a little under maintenance most days, periodically have an indulgent day above maintenance - but this same strategy can be used during loss, as long as the routine deficit with the banking included isn't too punitive). ETA: I don't prelog except once in a blue moon (something new and weird, or if I've created unusual calorie-budget constraints somehow), don't have any kind of structured meal plan (meal/snack count differs widely, don't know what I'll have for dinner until I make it, etc.). Seriously, inconsistent.

If logging is the problem, then maybe log long enough to develop a repertoire of meals you like (B, L, D, and 1-2 snacks, or whatever your preferred eating pattern is), each meal at relatively defined calorie levels, that you can mix and match most days to hit a reasonable calorie target. If you do something unusual or new, log that day, but otherwise just use the pattern. That could work.

If chocolate or sweets are a problem and it works better to eliminate them totally, great. If it works to have a small bit at the end of a meal, equally great. If you can convince yourself that Friday (or whatever) is chocolate day, and budget X calories of it then and only then, and that works . . . still great.

Consistency is not my jam. Discipline is not my strongest suit (to say the least). Nonetheless, somehow I lost 50+ pounds back in 2015-16 and have stayed at a healthy weight since (after years of previous obesity) . . . partly IMO because I'm old, understand my inclinations pretty well by now, and know how to be tactically wily.

Experiment with approaches, if you need to, for a week at a time. Keep the ones that help *you*, drop the ones that don't. If it feels like a forced march that goes against your inclinations, it's probably not going to work well long term. If you can figure out sustainable habits that are manageable, ideally even easy, and that get you to your end goal, that's perfect.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Agree with not buying the food you cannot moderate. Salty chips are my downfall, I rarely buy them.

This is me. I used to avoid them completely. But now I sometimes buy the Lay's 10 pack of classic chips. Each bag is 1 ounce and 160 calories. I can usually fit one bag into my allotment and stop there. Whereas an open party-size bag is a recipe for disaster. A reasonable alternative are the Skinny Pop mini bags which are only 100 cals.
  • Mondowefte
    Mondowefte Posts: 150 Member
    I tried to be consistent, or to only eat healthy food. That just doesn't work for me. I do buy treats, but only single portion sizes, and I build them into my allotment for the day.

Find what works for you. You don't have to follow others' rules if they make things harder to do.
  • xxzenabxx
    Mondowefte wrote: »
    I tried to be consistent, or to only eat healthy food. That just doesn't work for me. I do buy treats, but only single portion sizes, and I build them into my allotment for the day.

Find what works for you. You don't have to follow others' rules if they make things harder to do.

Yeah I don’t like planning my meals to a t but I might just have to for a month to get into the swing of things. And honestly my meals are great- balanced with protein carbs, veggies and fats. But then I just keep eating chocolate and I think it’s become a habit so I need to break it in order to get back in control.
  • xxzenabxx
    edited May 2021
    Also I would like to add that I started intuitive eating around January and February this year...bad idea. I gained a few pounds and I was exhausted because my brain was just telling me to eat lots sugary fatty foods like chocolates etc (I was already eating chocolate because I wasn’t depriving myself before but they said to eat as much as your heart desires and so I did!) and according to the intuitive eating book the cravings would eventually go away but as you can see it’s MAY and things haven’t changed. My blood sugar would crash and my skin would break out and then I would reach for more because my body wanted it but this was intuitive right? Now that I’m reading all the comments I can see that intuitive eating didn’t help me at all and it only worsened my health (I have PCOS and diabetes runs in my family). I definitely thrive of some discipline and structure and intuitive eating just didn’t cut it for me. I can’t listen to my body like that. They said don’t deprive yourself and now my brain thinks I’m being deprived if I don’t eat half the bar of chocolate or cake or whatever it is. I was also sooo bloated from eating so much crap food and I’m not labelling foods but come on some foods just are designed to be overeaten and make you bloated. Now my palate wants all those things and that’s also coming in the way of me losing weight because I can’t moderate at the moment. No wonder I feel like I’m at square one! I’ve decided that I’m going to go cold turkey for a month and then start re introducing things like chocolate back in. What do you guys think?
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Hey everyone!

So I haven’t been in a proper calorie deficit for over 9 months and I honestly feel like a newbie and so overwhelmed that I keep making excuses, being inconsistent and eating bits of food here and there. I’m basically procrastinating. I stay in a deficit and then I don’t and I’m just so annoyed with myself. What are some tips to make it past the mental struggles. On top of that I only have 20ish lbs to lose and my sisters wedding is in August so I know I need to lose atleast 10 lbs by then and get my act together. Any tips would be welcome!

Oh and I thought I’d add I already measure and weigh all my food. I don’t need help with the physical stuff (I know all that) probably just the mental part of it all.

you say you stay in a deficit, but then you don't. What's happening when you don't? is it due to time of the month? stress at work? because you've been eating 'super healthy' and then binge chocolate?

Well it’s normally stress or PMS. I’ve got these silly thoughts in my head always telling me to eat otherwise I’m depriving myself!

Google is your friend for some mindfulness stuff, or a bit of CBT for coping mechanisms during stressful times. Allowing yourself to eat at maintenance for a few days during your period might also help.

are you depriving yourself of anything? as soon as you tell yourself you 'cant' have something, you'll likely crave it. if you don't already, try working to your weekly calorie goal, and fit in some of the things you feel deprived of over a week. I have a low cal hot chocolate most evenings for a sweet treat at supper time.
  • xxzenabxx
    Hey everyone!

So I haven’t been in a proper calorie deficit for over 9 months and I honestly feel like a newbie and so overwhelmed that I keep making excuses, being inconsistent and eating bits of food here and there. I’m basically procrastinating. I stay in a deficit and then I don’t and I’m just so annoyed with myself. What are some tips to make it past the mental struggles. On top of that I only have 20ish lbs to lose and my sisters wedding is in August so I know I need to lose atleast 10 lbs by then and get my act together. Any tips would be welcome!

Oh and I thought I’d add I already measure and weigh all my food. I don’t need help with the physical stuff (I know all that) probably just the mental part of it all.

you say you stay in a deficit, but then you don't. What's happening when you don't? is it due to time of the month? stress at work? because you've been eating 'super healthy' and then binge chocolate?

Well it’s normally stress or PMS. I’ve got these silly thoughts in my head always telling me to eat otherwise I’m depriving myself!

Google is your friend for some mindfulness stuff, or a bit of CBT for coping mechanisms during stressful times. Allowing yourself to eat at maintenance for a few days during your period might also help.

are you depriving yourself of anything? as soon as you tell yourself you 'cant' have something, you'll likely crave it. if you don't already, try working to your weekly calorie goal, and fit in some of the things you feel deprived of over a week. I have a low cal hot chocolate most evenings for a sweet treat at supper time.

Yeah the maintenance at period has definitely helped but I’m honestly not depriving myself- I’m doing the opposite right now. I’ve had an ED in the past so I know depriving myself isn’t good.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Mondowefte wrote: »

Yeah I don’t like planning my meals to a t but I might just have to for a month to get into the swing of things. And honestly my meals are great- balanced with protein carbs, veggies and fats. But then I just keep eating chocolate and I think it’s become a habit so I need to break it in order to get back in control.

Planning is hardest when you're learning how, just like riding a bike or driving a car. Once you know how, you sort of put it in the back of your mind and those skills go on autopilot while you just do your day. And it's true that you might need to be more rigid at first while you develop those skills, and can loosen up as you go along a bit.

It's very, very hard to succeed at anything without a plan, not just weight loss.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Weird.

Yeah, all of this, plus what @sijomial said on the previous page. Consistency is what works for some people, but there are workable alternatives to "stick to your near-exact calorie goal every single day, logging and weighing every item" (if that's what consistency means).

It's really useful to understand your own strengths, limitations, and preferences, and figure out a way to game them. The easier and more natural (to you) the approach, the higher the odds of success.

For some, consistency and strict inviolable rules is that way. For others, it can be logging and averaging a certain deficit over the course of a week (with high and low days in there, formal like 5:2 IF or more loosey-goosey); doing one week on, one week off deficit (eating at maintenance on the off week); or even a rule like @wunderkindking seems to be running of just eating any number of calories that's at or under maintenance.

Me, I'm in maintenance, and calorie bank (eat a little under maintenance most days, periodically have an indulgent day above maintenance - but this same strategy can be used during loss, as long as the routine deficit with the banking included isn't too punitive). ETA: I don't prelog except once in a blue moon (something new and weird, or if I've created unusual calorie-budget constraints somehow), don't have any kind of structured meal plan (meal/snack count differs widely, don't know what I'll have for dinner until I make it, etc.). Seriously, inconsistent.

If logging is the problem, then maybe log long enough to develop a repertoire of meals you like (B, L, D, and 1-2 snacks, or whatever your preferred eating pattern is), each meal at relatively defined calorie levels, that you can mix and match most days to hit a reasonable calorie target. If you do something unusual or new, log that day, but otherwise just use the pattern. That could work.

If chocolate or sweets are a problem and it works better to eliminate them totally, great. If it works to have a small bit at the end of a meal, equally great. If you can convince yourself that Friday (or whatever) is chocolate day, and budget X calories of it then and only then, and that works . . . still great.

Consistency is not my jam. Discipline is not my strongest suit (to say the least). Nonetheless, somehow I lost 50+ pounds back in 2015-16 and have stayed at a healthy weight since (after years of previous obesity) . . . partly IMO because I'm old, understand my inclinations pretty well by now, and know how to be tactically wily.

Experiment with approaches, if you need to, for a week at a time. Keep the ones that help *you*, drop the ones that don't. If it feels like a forced march that goes against your inclinations, it's probably not going to work well long term. If you can figure out sustainable habits that are manageable, ideally even easy, and that get you to your end goal, that's perfect.

That has been and mostly is my approach for the whole weight loss journey - though I will amend and say that aside from very rare exceptions I also aimed hard to get at least 1200 net calories, because I know me and I'd set up some god awful cycle of restrict/binge without that line.

I'm doing on/off maintenance thing right now - week under maintenance, week at, both as averaged over a week. I'd like to lose a little more, but I'm good with those 10-15lbs taking a year. My focus right now is basically a busy and physically active summer.

Anyway, the reason I am replying instead of just clicking buttons in that I think the real heart of things is in there. You need to be self-aware. therapy can help with that, if you need it and there's nothing wrong with that. Learning what really makes you tick in order to make things easier is good. I don't do the consistency and rigid rules thing precisely because of that. I know me. At no point in my life have I responded to 'you can't' with anything but "I can and I will." Even if I'm the person who is making the rule, my response is "WATCH ME". Best not set that up with food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then you HAVE to plan just to have a limited amount of chocolate. Don't take a package or bar with you. Measure out the amount you're allowed and then put the rest away. It's easier to follow a portioned plan of snacks than just randomly breaking off some and then finishing it and still looking at what you still have in front of you to eat.
    I eat chips, candy, junk food, etc. by measuring out the portion then putting the bag or box away. It's much easier to discipline yourself that way.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Oh and try eating slower.

IDEA Fitness member