Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Airlines may start weighing plus size passengers

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
I heard about this yesterday. Unlike a vehicle or ship, WEIGHT matters much much more when traveling by air. How the weight is dispersed on a plane matters much more than vehicles by land travel or by ship for obvious reasons. For the longest time now, aviation has used an average weight per person to decide on passengers and luggage for capacity on a plane. But with the ever growing waistlines of many, it's becoming more of a concern for safety issues. While a few hundered pounds don't matter as much to other vehicles, with planes is does matter much more.
So now airlines are possibly looking at random weighing of passengers who likely exceed the average weight. Personally I do see this a couple of ways: it is a safety issue. If they do institute this, they better have a great back up plan for those that they may deem may not be able to board a flight due to weight overload.

Okay, let's hear it.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/airlines-to-weigh-passengers-before-boarding-airplanes/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• ninerbuff
    edited May 2021
    It'd be embarrassing to be pulled out for a weight check before boarding a plane, but I'd rather be embarrassed than be in a plane that crashed due to the overall weight being too high.

This seems like the case of a sucky solution to a real problem . . . but there may not be a better alternative solution.

I would say that they could ask people to self-report their weight at time of ticket purchase, but I don't know if you could count on accurate self-reporting, especially if people felt it might increase ticket price.
    Apparently they would weigh them out of sight (maybe right after security check?) so that other passengers don't see it. What I think is odd is that there may be an "opt out" for passengers who get selected. But how then do they cover keeping those passengers from boarding?
    I've seen FAMILIES of large people boarding a plane at one time and knowing that they exceed the average weight limit (200lbs for adults and 100lbs for children) by several hundred pounds.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Will they raise the prices for the overweight flyers or eliminate the last to board passengers from flying? What a mess that will be.
    It's not about raising the price, it's about how much weight can be allowed on a plane to fly safely. If they don't stop passengers, then the next thing they may nix to reduce weight is LUGGAGE. So your luggage as a passenger on that flight, may come on another plane arriving later.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I heard about this yesterday. Unlike a vehicle or ship, WEIGHT matters much much more when traveling by air. How the weight is dispersed on a plane matters much more than vehicles by land travel or by ship for obvious reasons. For the longest time now, aviation has used an average weight per person to decide on passengers and luggage for capacity on a plane. But with the ever growing waistlines of many, it's becoming more of a concern for safety issues. While a few hundered pounds don't matter as much to other vehicles, with planes is does matter much more.
    So now airlines are possibly looking at random weighing of passengers who likely exceed the average weight. Personally I do see this a couple of ways: it is a safety issue. If they do institute this, they better have a great back up plan for those that they may deem may not be able to board a flight due to weight overload.

Okay, let's hear it.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/airlines-to-weigh-passengers-before-boarding-airplanes/

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've been on numerous small commuter planes (30 passengers or less) and after everyone was boarded the attendant said they were overweight and asked for volunteers to get off and get a later flight and a travel voucher for their trouble or move people around to balance weight.

Heck we were even on a Airbus 200 or so seat plane where they didn't fill the last 8 rows because it would have been too heavy for the runway at Maui Airport headed to LA.

I'm thinking it will ultimately result in a surcharge (user fee) for heavier passengers. But it will be a *kitten* storm.

• Theoldguy1
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Granted, disclosure is optional. However, this seems like a odd problem solving approach.

If passengers are getting larger (in an era where the aviation industry has been decreasing the sizes of their seats to increase capacity and profit margins) then seating room should be the first consideration.

I say bring back the seat space and leg room that was standard back in, like, the 80s.

(Picky sidenote from an aging curmudgeon: Also, the decorum of flying back then was much better than it is now. You'd dress appropriately - but still comfortably - to fly. Whereas since the 2000s, the dress code, hygiene and attitude of passengers - even in business or first - leaves much to be desired. Although this could also be because people are being packed into planes like sardines 🤷🏿‍♀️)

Air travel has become the Greyhound bus of the 2000's. In the 1980's prices were much higher as a % of the typical income and it was a financial choice for most. Now with cheap fares virtually anyone can fly.

• DeterminedDivaMN
    DeterminedDivaMN Posts: 20 Member
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    So it's been a couple of years since I've flown, but they still charge extra for over-weight luggage, right?

They do! Most charge for any luggage and then it's an extra $$ for overweight luggage.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Realistically, they should be weighing all passengers. Think of some of the athletes who are muscular... It wouldn't bother me as much if everyone was weighed.

If someone appears to be at or under the average weight, what's the point of weighing them?

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    :lol:@ninerbuff

You need to get back to work.

The last 10 threads we had on this weren't enough for you?
  • Theoldguy1
    Realistically, they should be weighing all passengers. Think of some of the athletes who are muscular... It wouldn't bother me as much if everyone was weighed.

If someone appears to be at or under the average weight, what's the point of weighing them?

Especially small planes are pretty picky about weight. No need to make the gate person into a carnival guess the weight sideshow
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    (i.e. people and their weight and the airlines...)