How Dow I eat more protein?

pamsampson526
pamsampson526 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I’m eating all meals and snacks, eating as much protein as I can and the app is telling me I still need more. Any low calorie way to supplement my meals with protein?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Is your protein goal the default or did you set a custom goal?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,095 Member
    And what are your current sources of protein? What does your diet look like at the moment?
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    I've been supplementing my protein intake with protein powder/drinks. It's very handy to have on hand. I look at my protein intake and mix it up accordingly as necessary at the end of the day. Not just for bodybuilders. :)

I've been using Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey double rich chocolate flavor protein powder. It tastes good in milk, not much taste in water. It's 120 calories for 24 grams of protein. If my protein is like 10 grams off, I just mix up half of it. 35 grams off, I mix up more of it.

Canned meat is useful too if you eat meat. Tuna is about 20 grams, sardines around 13 grams or so, chicken, etc.

I don't stress about not meeting my protein goal as long as I come close to it most days (within about 5 grams for me). I was having trouble coming even close (once I started logging and checking my nutrition I went yikes, so, yeah, not good) so these are the hacks I'm currently using to stay within my calories and protein needs as I'm learning to do better and to cook.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021
    I really don't particularly like meat - some deli meat, fish maybe once a week and a once/twice a month 'meat is the main course' meal mean is really it. The VAST majority of my protein comes from greek yougurt, cottage cheese, or kodiak cakes oatmeal. That and the incidental protein in things (like bread, or broccoli or whatever) usually gets me to where I need to be.