Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    rutabaga mash (just boil and mash with tiny bit of sugar--i've also done it with a tiny bit of sucralose) is quite good too!!!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Last night I had half of a shrimp fajita burrito from the farmer's market, and I'll have the other half for lunch (or maybe breakfast...) today. Pretty proud I only ate half of it and stopped!

Tonight we'll do a nice Friday evening meal. We have some huge NY Strip steaks in the freezer to grill up, I got some fresh asparagus at the farmer's market to try making asparagus soup, and I think some sauteed hen of the woods mushrooms on the side. If for some reason we need more food, I could open a jar of green beans or make some baked potatoes. Maybe an apple pie for dessert...
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    My best success with oatmeal was with the plain rolled oats, a heavy ceramic microwave safe bowl, and I usually added some chopped dried fruit before cooking it. (You get tropical oatmeal if you add a bit of shredded coconut, a chopped up dried mango piece, and a few dried pineapple chunks! Sprinkle of cinnamon to finish!) Then if it needed sweetening I stirred in Splenda.

I also worked out how to do peanut butter and jelly oatmeal, which I will describe if anyone wants that.
    Today is patty melts, which is really just a cheeseburger with grilled onions on rye. But very amazingly tasty.

Tonight we're having carnitas with roasted peppers and pico de gallo and sliced limes.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Egg salad for lunch on a fiber wrap......I don’t eat very many eggs but I need some protein to go to the gym and swimming in a little while.....taking orange pieces and applesauce to eat at the pool.....snack after swim will be Greek yogurt with blueberries....dinner is turkey kielbasa, Mexican corn and air fryer sweet potato fries with cinnamon....after dinner coffee and a biscotti....later veggie chips and a string cheese!

Great day!....Great food!
  • PAV8888
    @conniewilkins56 this sounds like a fab menu! Not quite up to par with Alexandra's... but close... and nicely planned too!

@eliezalot frozen blueberries and frozen blueberries in oatmeal tend to work out fairly well for me; both cultured and "wild". And definitely chocolate would work as a flavor. Peanut butter... I don't know if it would or not.

P2B or defatted peanut powder I can both see working well with oats as a flavouring. I will pass on Alexandra's PBJ oatmeal because there is a chance I might like it too much!

An MFP friend roasts her asparagus in the oven before using them in the soup and she just recently sent me... here it is, and it ties nicely with the oatmeal discussion! (I, being a heretic, threatened to proceed with cream of wheat but in the end proceeded with nothing because I just pan boiled/steamed the ones I had!)

Roasted Asparagus Soup

3+ cups asparagus
    1 lg. yellow onion, cut up
    4 huge garlic cloves, sliced or not
    1/2+ c. Old Fashioned (rolled) oats
    1 liter (I'm guessing, here) commercial vegetable broth

Roast the asparagus on parchment paper in oven at maybe 350-390F until wilted and beginning to brown

Put into simmering vegetable broth with onion, garlic and 1/2+ c. Old Fashioned (rolled) oats. (I'd start with that and add more as needed while pureeing if texture is too watery).

Simmer until onions are cooked and then puree in a blender or food processor.
  • conniewilkins56
    Asparagus and oats do NOT go together....the only way I will eat asparagus is drizzled with olive oil, and baked with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper on it...I really don’t like asparagus very much!.....
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2021
    Now now Connie... remember: adventures! :wink: Plus the recipe is from Suzie (Zinka) :smiley:
  • eliezalot
    @PAV8888 oats!! Interesting. That would make for a nice, thick texture. I might have to try that next time. Maybe after next week's farmer's market. The fresh asparagus is just so good and plentiful!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Was sweet teriakyi quorn stir fry last night - was lovely, but didn’t agree with me! Quorn & I have a love / hate relationship! Pity cuz I like the idea of more plant based alternatives!
    Southern-style chicken & with salad & fries tonight! No problem keeping that down! Yum!
    Drank calories with Prosecco too! 🍾
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,578 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Now now Connie... remember: adventures! :wink: Plus the recipe is from Suzie (Zinka) :smiley:

:D
    I'm up early for no apparent reason today. Got all the food prep done yesterday for the week. Except the gyro loaf and the crab cakes. Oh yeah, that. (sigh) So I guess I'm making more food today. Lunch is chicken tenders with dipping sauces and chips, and dinner is beef curry with little meatballs, cashews, and mushrooms, with rice and naan.
  • eliezalot
    We had a great supper last night. Asparagus soup, steak on the grill, sauteed hen of the woods mushrooms, a really nice bottle of wine, and strawberry shortcake for dessert. The shortcake recipe made extra biscuits, so I'll tuck those away in the freezer for future desserts (and so I don't eat them all now).

Today we have no set plans, which means I have no idea what to do for food. Going to make myself a small frittata for breakfast, probably will have a light lunch, and see what husband is planning on for supper. He doesn't quite get that I need to know what's for dinner so that I can plan how much to eat for breakfast and lunch. It's fine, but makes it harder to plan my calories.
  • conniewilkins56
    Tonight we are having fresh broccoli and “ loaded “ baked potatoes with salad, too.....
  • lauriekallis
    I actually know what I'm having tonight - it's a fridge cleaning kinda dinner!

Scrambled eggs (2 eggs with extra egg whites) smothered in sriracha and kimchee :) asparagus (a few too many to make them all last night), sauteed spinach (1/2 a bunch on its last legs in the fridge), baked sweet potato wedges and maybe some black beans (leftover from a can I opened several days ago) a few grape tomatoes for pizzaz....and maybe one (or two or three :) ) of those jello puddings (if they have them in stock again) for dessert/treat!
  • PAV8888
    OK Laurie: you're driving me nuts: It's time for... PLAY WITH PUDDING :lol:

--mix and match: milk chocolate and dulce. multiple little baby cups. sprinkle with cereal for crunch. anything from all bran buds to hershey kisses. sprinkle cinnamon or cocoa powder on top

--add protein: same as above... but also use 0% yoplait. One or two puddings brings the mix to a less watery consistency and it is still under 350 Cal before you start adding mix ins.

--add bunnies: same as above... but also add fresh or frozen fruit

--add bunnies and protein: same as above... but move it to greek yogurt, or, if daring, skyr (gets a bit too thick unless you're using frozen fruit which helps balance things out)

** note: I often log the puddings at the 60 Cal of the US versions. I am not 100% convinced as to the 50 Cal Canadian label which nets out the fiber from the carbs... while ingredients and weights are identical to the US label.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2021
    Leftovers chicken & potato salad!
    Making chocolate cakes this evening! Not a morsel passed my lips!
  • lauriekallis
    Janatki wrote: »
    Leftovers chicken & potato salad!
    Making chocolate cakes this evening! Not a morsel passed my lips!

WOW.

I don't believe a morsel would have passed by mine. Good on you, Janatki!
  • lauriekallis
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OK Laurie: you're driving me nuts: It's time for... PLAY WITH PUDDING :lol:

My evil plan worked!

Alas, they had no pudding. Under 100 calories today :(

That's why I was forced to eat 1.3 kg of watermelon through the afternoon.