Trouble meeting macros for low carb moderate fat

So I gained about 20 lbs in 2020, partly because of stress eating comfort foods. I decided to take control over my emotional eating using an intuitive or mindful eating approach for the last two months or so, with 10 pounds lost. Mostly eyeballing portions and not eating any bread or refined carbs. My weight has been up and down my whole life- I have been cursed with PCOS which is a hormonal endocrine disorder, and part of why losing weight is so difficult.

I decided to start tracking macros so that I can more quickly shed the ten remaining pounds, and then get on with losing the rest (I'm 5'3" and currently 160, my GW is 125). Historically I know that eating low carb and moderate fat is the only way I can seem to lose any weight, so it is the regime I am committed to following. My macros are set as Carbs- 25/ Protein- 35 / Fat- 40 and my calorie goal is set at 1400 as I want to lose 1.5 lbs per week. The only carbs I eat are oatmeal, low carb wraps and small amounts of fruit. My problem is meeting the protein target of 123 g per day. I've only been logging for 3 days so far, and even with eating meat every single day at lunch and dinner, and protein powder in my oatmeal, I still am unable to get that high. I tend to finish my day at 90-100 g, so with 20-30 g remaining.

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to offer suggestions about shifting my macros slightly, or ideas for high protein snacks or meals that are not steak / beef (not affordable for me, and also as a former vegetarian I prefer sticking to chicken, fish, or plant-protein). Tuna is of course a cheap and easy option, but I can't eat a full can of tuna every day.

Maybe there's another idea that hasn't occurred to me yet? I'm grateful for any suggestions!

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    You don't have to eat that much protein, but yogurt, any dairy really, chicken is really high in protein, you shouldn't have a problem hitting at least 90 g per day. Eat a little larger portion of chicken or fish. Makes a big difference in the amount of protein. Lower your protein goal to 30% and increase fat to 40%.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    yeah, that much protein isn't really needed. You could change your macros. No need to make it too difficult.

I lost all my weight (about 80 pounds) at 1500 + exercise calories and on 40C 40F 20P. It's a pretty easy macro split, I can still have a slice or two of bread or pasta or rice and some oatmeal and fruit.

Here's the food list of protein sources:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • eustaciavye7
    eustaciavye7 Posts: 3 Member
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    You don't have to eat that much protein, but yogurt, any dairy really, chicken is really high in protein, you shouldn't have a problem hitting at least 90 g per day. Eat a little larger portion of chicken or fish. Makes a big difference in the amount of protein. Lower your protein goal to 30% and increase fat to 40%.

Thank you for the suggestion. If I lower the protein and keep fat about the same, should I then bump up carbs to make up the difference? Or is it possible to just make 90 g protein my target and let the rest fall where it may?
  • eustaciavye7
    eustaciavye7 Posts: 3 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Agreeing with the others that 35% protein is unnecessarily high. I'd give at least 5% to carbs, and shift some fat to carbs as well. Unless fat satiates you.

I love fat but do not find it especially filling, and it is much easier for me to maintain a calorie deficit if I have less fat and more carbs from foods like fruits, veggies, rice, potatoes, legumes, etc.

Okay, thanks for adding your two cents. It's nice knowing I can enjoy a little more fruit or some starches. I've been avoiding those foods for so long that it's still a mental adjustment to allow myself permission to even exceed 60 g carbs per day (usually considered the cut off for "low carb" diet.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    Hard to say without seeing the foods you eat. Anyway imo continue with your program and do the best by increasing your protein where you can. I wouldn't increase carbs considering your confidence in reducing them helps you in weight loss, that's important in and of itself and a large % of women improve PCOS with lower carbs. Keep in mine for every 100 calories of protein your consuming your ultimately only absorbing 70 to 80 cals. You have enough adipose tissue to sustain a deficit for a while but make sure you go off dieting and maintain every so often. It's not a race.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    So I gained about 20 lbs in 2020, partly because of stress eating comfort foods. I decided to take control over my emotional eating using an intuitive or mindful eating approach for the last two months or so, with 10 pounds lost. Mostly eyeballing portions and not eating any bread or refined carbs. My weight has been up and down my whole life- I have been cursed with PCOS which is a hormonal endocrine disorder, and part of why losing weight is so difficult.

I decided to start tracking macros so that I can more quickly shed the ten remaining pounds, and then get on with losing the rest (I'm 5'3" and currently 160, my GW is 125). Historically I know that eating low carb and moderate fat is the only way I can seem to lose any weight, so it is the regime I am committed to following. My macros are set as Carbs- 25/ Protein- 35 / Fat- 40 and my calorie goal is set at 1400 as I want to lose 1.5 lbs per week. The only carbs I eat are oatmeal, low carb wraps and small amounts of fruit. My problem is meeting the protein target of 123 g per day. I've only been logging for 3 days so far, and even with eating meat every single day at lunch and dinner, and protein powder in my oatmeal, I still am unable to get that high. I tend to finish my day at 90-100 g, so with 20-30 g remaining.

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to offer suggestions about shifting my macros slightly, or ideas for high protein snacks or meals that are not steak / beef (not affordable for me, and also as a former vegetarian I prefer sticking to chicken, fish, or plant-protein). Tuna is of course a cheap and easy option, but I can't eat a full can of tuna every day.

Maybe there's another idea that hasn't occurred to me yet? I'm grateful for any suggestions!

For your height and weight 90-100g is more than enough. I’m also 5’ 4” so 1 inch taller and generally aim for 100-110g easily but let’s say sometimes I end up only getting 80g, well I’ve learned to accept that and it’s better to still be in a calorie deficit because there’s no point in eating more to hit your protein target when it’s making you overeat. As long as overall I’m getting my 100g per day I’m fine with that. Also if you do want to add more protein then just eating more chicken and fish would be a good idea as well as egg whites. I also have PCOS and I do well on complex carbs and recently I’ve been eating more beans and legumes because they are filled with good carbs and some protein too! You can 1-2 times a week have protein powder in a smoothie as well. Mix it up.