Subtraction feature

Hello friends is anybody else wishing that Fitbit had a subtraction feature? So that when I scan the barcode on my prepackaged salad I can subtract the croutons that come on the side and the little plastic wrapper that I always discard? Also I could subtract ingredients that I leave out of recipes after I've imported the recipe from online. Maybe this already exists and I haven't discovered it yet but I would really like a subtraction feature!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have no idea what features Fitbit has for logging food, but if you're interested in a subtraction feature . . . MFP has one when you're logging food.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    How would that work? The Fitbit database is user sources, that means pretty much all data in the food database is entered by users. Some of it is wrong, some of it is for other countries, some is correct for you. If the packaging of your salad doesn't list the nutritional information of croutons separately then nobody will know what their calories are. You can take the croutons out, weigh then, and find a generic database entry for croutons. I guess it will mostly be carbs. I'm sure there's a negative carb entry somewhere. Log that.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    @janejellyroll how do you use the subtraction function?

I’ve actually got a good use for it. I’m eating an entire package of stir fry mix for lunches, but using only a fraction of the included sauce. The manufacturers website helpfully breaks the sauce out separately by serving size, so I can weigh the package and pretty accurately subtract 60-80 calories, depending on the sauce that’s included.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I’ve actually got a good use for it. I’m eating an entire package of stir fry mix for lunches, but using only a fraction of the included sauce. The manufacturers website helpfully breaks the sauce out separately by serving size, so I can weigh the package and pretty accurately subtract 60-80 calories, depending on the sauce that’s included.

Find a database entry for the element you're not eating and log as negative servings. I believe this is website only, not app.
  • springlering62

Find a database entry for the element you're not eating and log as negative servings. I believe this is website only, not app.
    Oh bugger. That figures. I use the app almost exclusively. Thanks, though.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Oh bugger. That figures. I use the app almost exclusively. Thanks, though.

Couldn't you just use the info from the manufacturer's website to create new entries for the stir fry mix without the sauce and for the sauce alone, and then just log whatever fraction of the sauce you use?
  • springlering62
    Actually someone else has already done that but I was trying to find a future solution when it comes up again. It was the Taylor Farms Stir Fry kits. I’m using the whole bag of veg but half the sauce packet. They are very tasty!