Just learning to workout

I'm brand new to working out and begin in gym I'm toning and tighting everything up would love any advice and people to encouragement.. as it's a really slow process

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    It's slow but rewarding! 💪🏿 Welcome to MFP, @Sourpatchhq (... now goes off to find a bag of Sour Patch Kids...)
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    There is so much discover if you are just beginning working out. Are you looking into weight training or body building?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2021
    If you are untrained, you will experience a sensitive response to training from a fairly small dose. Doing more training will not achieve "faster" results. Meaning you don't have to perform many lifts or head to the gym every day to resistance train.

When considering we hopefully will be enjoying the benefits for a lifetime this beginning is a extremely small portion for you. Enjoy the process and find what you can adhere to.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    ALWAYS GET TRAINED ON THE EQUIPMENT.

Usually gyms are happy to give novices a session of how to use equipment (such as free weights and machines) properly. This is in your best interest (and theirs), because if you do them incorrectly (wrong weight, bad form, unsafe practices) you can cause yourself injury. Most if not many will provide this service free.

Also feel free to ask questions from the guy/gal/person monitoring the gym area.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    ALWAYS GET TRAINED ON THE EQUIPMENT.

Usually gyms are happy to give novices a session of how to use equipment (such as free weights and machines) properly. This is in your best interest (and theirs), because if you do them incorrectly (wrong weight, bad form, unsafe practices) you can cause yourself injury. Most if not many will provide this service free.

Also feel free to ask questions from the guy/gal/person monitoring the gym area.

The idea of "bad form" is a myth. Form cannot be defined universally therefore doesn't exist. This idea is one of the most single harmful things a person can say to another lifter. It literally can cause a nocebo effect.

There isn't any creditable evidence a person will experience an injury from a movement outside of a trauma itself.

I concur with your statement of putting the correct weight on the bar, that is good load management and can lower risk of injury.

One can seem to have "bad form" all day and if the weight is appropriate, they aren't destined for a injury.

• bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    I'm brand new to working out and begin in gym I'm toning and tighting everything up would love any advice and people to encouragement.. as it's a really slow process

Same girl. I recently joined a gym and it opened the doors to a new world of body building for me. I have done my research and asking questions and finding where I fit and what works for me. The best advice I can give is to go in with a plan. Find yourself a workout program. Build one yourself, find one online that fits what gives results you're looking for, find a personal trainner or coach to custom make you a diet and fitness plan and help answer questions and get you through it. When you have your workout plan, go into the gym and ask the workers to help guide you/ teach you how to use the equipment to do those workouts.

Think of the gym as the tools to build your body. You just need to have the instructions (the workout program) that is fit to get results you are looking for. Make sense? I'm just starting out and that is the best way to describe it.

Everyone is more than welcome to add me for more motivation and support. I need more gym friends!