WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    :)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,962 Member
    I walked eight minutes today with less pain, but it is mysteriously moving around. Today is left glute and left calf. I think you may all be right about just working through it. When I get up to twenty minutes I will go back to the treadmill at the gym, and that will take new shoes.

I joined a group here, then found out how the team weigh in competition works. So I have to be very good for my team!

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Machka and Carol it sounds like the right approach for you. I'm all for it if it works! My mom took something starting at about age 70 when she went to a nursing home (and also had therapy). Previous to that she had been contentious for years, and she became much more pleasant and a much better listener. I don't know if it was the therapy or the pills or both but I saw notable progress at age 70. However I think she did gain weight and I'm not sure how it worked out physically. She seemed way less in shape, but maybe that was just the aging (or maybe the combo there too). It definitely works for some people. (placebo or "real").

I wish we could get my mother in law on some kind of meds that would help her- she was on some that seemed to help but then some "friend" of dh's brother(who passed away- we never heard of this woman or another one before Albert died)-told her she shouldn't take them. What ever this woman says MIL does-doesn't listen to or believe what DH tells her. She just stepped in, undermines what ever little progress we get with MIL- it is really hard. She is an old angry, bitter little Japanese woman. She is always bad but so much worse after Sophia comes to visit her for the day(now she is trying to get MIL to sell her house and move in with her- she has done that with two of her relatives and taken all their money)MIL will not listen to us most of the time. After a few weeks pass after the visit, MIL starts bad mouthing Sophia, until she visits again. She is only nice to me when I cook for her- otherwise she is bad mouthing me to my husband. I can honestly say(and I have never ever felt like this about any other person ever) , that I will be so relieved when she dies. So much drama in our home because of her. So many years of it and we are all so tired of it.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,724 Member
    Debbie ... thinking about you as you go through grieving your dad ...

The potted plants made it overnight! Yay! I had my doubts! :D

Beth near Buffalo
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    Debbie- so nice of your ex to want to do that for you.. I never really grieved for my dad and I dont know why.. maybe because I spent so much time with him.My divorce was final in March of 2018 so Tom stood next to me in the receiving line.. even though I had moved out the October before..
    Im glad I did what I did for both my dad and his,because I loved them both very much..
    Will be thinking of you as you say goodbye,but always remember he will be in your heart always..
    Did your mom tell your sister not to come and keep the dogs at home as well.. sure hope so you dont need drama at a memorial service
    My friend that passed from covid complications ,they will have a celebration of life for him end of June.. they expect around 100 people.. I will go as I am very close to the family and am making a bunch of deviled eggs.. but I will wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer with me,the family has all been fully vaccinated but dont know about anyone else.. better safe than sorry..
    Have to find a skirt or something to wear as I have a baby shower to go to next Sunday and then the celebration of life..dont want to look like a slouch.
    My best friend lives in Willmington,N.C her hubbys home town and they went out on a boat this past weekend ,hit a wave and ahe went up and came back down and cracked a bone in her back.. she is in a brace right now and will see a spine dr to make sure she is safe to fly it is her son and daughter in law that the baby shower is for..
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    Machka, thanks for responding! Now that I have calmed down a bit, I remember that the outdoor walking pain was shin splints. The basement walking pain so far, barefoot, is glutes. It seemed to respond to self massage. So I think I am just weak. I have to try walking several times to get a repeatable pattern before I can report it to a doctor, but that's next if it doesn't subside. I really am very sedentary. That has to change.

Annie in Delaware

Might it be easier on your feet/legs to walk outside on softer surfaces, like grass or dirt? I know when I was running, running on dirt roads was much kinder to my body.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Adding 2 cents to Flea’s thought, I find walking on asphalt easier on my knees than concrete sidewalks. I shift to the concrete in higher traffic areas, and move back to asphalt in low or no traffic.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Vicki Grand Island. - Congrats on the new grand baby! Little Emmett sounds perfect! <3

Karen in Virginia
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Had the worst meal ever this past weekend; no exaggeration.
    I don't understand why a chef or cook in any restaurant where people pay for your food would let those items go to any table. Absolutely no flavor on the food itself and it only had flavor when putting the sauce on it. Only problem is that the sauce was so insanely spicy hot that all you could taste was pepper!!! They didn't keep white wine in the refrigerator either and didn't even serve it chilled! They had no clue. The owner obviously has no idea how to cook or drink wine. On top of it, the bill was nearly $100! That place has no business being in business. It's 3 days later and I'm still really annoyed by it. There is just no excuse for that. Thanks for letting me vent. End rant.

Not the best weekend ever, but was able to get in a 6 mile, fairly strenuous hike without too much pain. Also got in a yoga session outdoors. Not the greatest yoga instructor, but she's really nice and fun and I'll go for the community experience of it. Stretching never hurts either. It's obvious that I'm really out of shape, though.

Hope you all are well. Sorry about your dog, Katla. Take time to heal.

Tina in CA where it's finally a nice day!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 23min 55sec, 118elev, 3.34ap, 84ahr, 100mhr, 8.03mi= 793c
    Strava app = 973c
    Zwift bike trainer- 34.41min, 137ahr, 158mhr, 322elev, 17.5amph, 10.12mi= 368c
    Strava app = 274c

Total cal 1161

Today is my 3350 map logging streak, 3350 divided by 365 = 9.178 years? Woah, didn’t realize
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Pip: Happy 9th Anniversary logging and improving your health! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Annie - I couldn't walk for five minutes barefoot. I'd be crippled. But I can run 5k in good trainers.

Tina - I'm a bit confused. Is there some reason why you couldn't complain? Were you being treated, which makes it more difficult. I love complaining and often get money off, or free courses etc. My friends flinch when they see that glint in my eye. :p
    After the event there are always scathing reviews to make you feel better!!!!!

I've just got my refund from Deliveroo after bombarding them with emails. I would not give up, though they kept trying to put me off.

Our Singing Zoom is on Tuesday this week. I will have to wash my hair. The car is going for a service tomorrow. They pick it up and bring it back. Hooray! This is the last year we get a free one. Boo!

I've got to the point in my memoir where I'm quoting my teenage diaries, so I have to decide what typeface to use for the quotes. I hate it when people use italics. My main body is in Perpetua. I've been experimenting, but can't decide.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Heather - what about a font that is more what a teenage girl would use?
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,307 Member
    Katia-I love facetiming and seeing grandkids doing normal stuff-like taking baths andplaying-the stuff we miss. My grandson a couple of months ago was in middle of potty training and had to go potty while we were facetiming. DIL turned camera on him and he said “Mimaw, I am pooping.” When he finished and was standing to get help wiping, he looked in the toilet, then at the camera and proudly said “Mimaw, I had a rectangle poop.” I still smile over that one.

Julie-the days of missing him come and go and I just try to role with them. I had been thinking of Arizona to be nearer grandchildren, but son and DIL aren’t sure how long they will remain there. I am just thinking through all options and trust the right decision will come to me. There was article in paper today that Amtrack may have route with stop in our city. That would be a quick trip to Columbus-so who knows where I will end up!

Annie-do you do any regular stretching routine? That helps my legs and back tremendously.

Michelle in NC-sorry you had to put pet down.

Had typical Monday at work. Am only working three days this week. Have to take off Thursday to go to doctor and get ct scan, so decided to take Friday off also and with the Monday holiday I will have a five day weekend. Nice and her daughter will be in state this weekend. Haven't seen them since husband died, so that will be nice.

Need to get lunch made for work tomorrow and run off to a council meeting. In person for the first time. We need to decide on our church protocol going forward. Hopefully it won't last long. Since I am president I can cut it short!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Heather-I could have complained except the owner/chef wasn't there and I know the staff would just shrug and say something generic like "sorry," but most are not allowed to give discounts or freebies without a manager/owner there and I could tell, that person was definitely not there. I did complain on Yelp and the owner's reply was something similar to "sorry you didn't like my food. It must be your tastebuds." He said I must not like Peruvian food, Japanese food, or Amazon spices. Well, I have had a lot of Peruvian food that didn't destroy my taste buds and didn't need much sauce, spent 6 weeks in Japan and rather enjoyed the food, and soon will be in the Amazon. I just think the guy is an idiot.

Michele-Sorry about Bonnie. Yes, cancer does suck. Two of my cats were lost to cancer.

Tina in CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    I rode my bike around the block twice. Feeling no leg pain. Yay!

Well done! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    I walked eight minutes today with less pain, but it is mysteriously moving around. Today is left glute and left calf. I think you may all be right about just working through it. When I get up to twenty minutes I will go back to the treadmill at the gym, and that will take new shoes.

I joined a group here, then found out how the team weigh in competition works. So I have to be very good for my team!

Annie in Delaware

Yeah, it's like the brain and the body are playing games or something. My first 10 or 15 minutes I'll have a pain here and a pain there. I'll even talk to my body and tell it to just stop already with the pains because we're walking or running or cycling now and it will just have to deal with it. :grin: