Just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes

I used this app back in 2017 when I was just dealing with weight struggles and depression. But since the pandemic, my weight struggles worsened, my sugar habits and depression also increased. Getting me this unexpected diagnosis from my doctor telling me I have type 2 diabetes. And the whopping cost that comes with it! I am hoping to meet others on here that may be dealing with the same thing I am. I am not looking for advice, because I have a diabetic nurse that has me on a specific plan who I will be reporting to on the regular. But it would be nice to talk to those who might be dealing with the same thing and support one another :)

Replies

• BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    I was diagnosed last week. Super scared, let’s connect and hold each other accountable
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,950 Member
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2019 when I was hospitalized for 9 days with the flu/pneumonia ... I was on several medications including insulin .... I am happy to report I am off all medications that have to deal with diabetes ... my numbers have been in the low 100's and I usually eat keto but I had my 2nd hernia surgery almost a month ago so I have been eating convenient food since I haven't been able to stand long to meal prep ...

It is reversible ...wishing you the very best :)
  • fitforfun1749
    fitforfun1749 Posts: 11 Member
    hello, thanks so much for sharing your experiences and journeys thus far BiggyFuzz I too was recently diagnosed with type 2, actually I have my 1 hr phone consultation with my diabetic nurse tomorrow. I was not placed on insulin, but they are asking me to take these really expensive diabetic weight loss pills that are $300 per month I was checking the reviews and most have been positive regarding the results, but a lot of people say they make you nauseous and cause headaches those are the most common and mild symptoms. Sadly I just started a job and do not have my insurance as of yet, so I have been trying my best since Thursday last week to follow a plan that I found online for type 2 diabetics with a calorie consuming calorie count of 1500. And go figure I managed to lose 6 lbs in 5 days. It's prob all water weight, but you what, I will take it. At least I will have something positive to share with the nurse when we speak tomorrow and see if what she has planned comes close to what I am already doing. Also, I am hopeful she can understand my not being able to afford the medication at the moment. My bio does share a lot about this diagnosis and another one that I received the same day that is still uncertain that one involves a biopsy which I am very nervous about, but I hope getting healthy regarding the outcome will better my chances for recovery.
  • fitforfun1749
    fitforfun1749 Posts: 11 Member
    Hello Megan_smart, thanks for sharing your journey it seems you have been through a lot, but still being a trooper and working hard at staying well. That is a good thing and congrats on turning around your diabetes I too hope to do the same. I know the weight loss should help a lot with my numbers at least that is the goal. Fingers crossed my other health issue and results that come back are not serious and does not interfere with my current progress. I honestly could not deal with the worst-case scenario at the moment.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,950 Member
    Hello Megan_smart, thanks for sharing your journey it seems you have been through a lot, but still being a trooper and working hard at staying well. That is a good thing and congrats on turning around your diabetes I too hope to do the same. I know the weight loss should help a lot with my numbers at least that is the goal. Fingers crossed my other health issue and results that come back are not serious and does not interfere with my current progress. I honestly could not deal with the worst-case scenario at the moment.

You got this .... :)
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    hello, thanks so much for sharing your experiences and journeys thus far BiggyFuzz I too was recently diagnosed with type 2, actually I have my 1 hr phone consultation with my diabetic nurse tomorrow. I was not placed on insulin, but they are asking me to take these really expensive diabetic weight loss pills that are $300 per month I was checking the reviews and most have been positive regarding the results, but a lot of people say they make you nauseous and cause headaches those are the most common and mild symptoms. Sadly I just started a job and do not have my insurance as of yet, so I have been trying my best since Thursday last week to follow a plan that I found online for type 2 diabetics with a calorie consuming calorie count of 1500. And go figure I managed to lose 6 lbs in 5 days. It's prob all water weight, but you what, I will take it. At least I will have something positive to share with the nurse when we speak tomorrow and see if what she has planned comes close to what I am already doing. Also, I am hopeful she can understand my not being able to afford the medication at the moment. My bio does share a lot about this diagnosis and another one that I received the same day that is still uncertain that one involves a biopsy which I am very nervous about, but I hope getting healthy regarding the outcome will better my chances for recovery.

Ive been doing low carb for the past 6 weeks...my sugar levels went from 406 to 123 as of 15 minutes ago. Try low carb and look at my diary, it’ll give you some food ideas ... you got this hun, let’s do it together 😘
  • DaniSue2021
    DaniSue2021 Posts: 19 Member
    BiggyFuzz wrote: »

Ive been doing low carb for the past 6 weeks...my sugar levels went from 406 to 123 as of 15 minutes ago. Try low carb and look at my diary, it’ll give you some food ideas ... you got this hun, let’s do it together 😘

Good luck to you both!!