Suggestions for healthy coffee creamer

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I haven't had powdered creamer since I traveled for business two decades ago. I never liked it. IIRC, it tastes nothing like half & half. In case anyone else was wondering, here are the ingredients for Coffeemate original. I'm not taking a position on whether it is healthy or not, but I can see why some would think it not.

https://www.goodnes.com/coffeemate/products/fat-free-the-original-powder-coffee-creamer-16-oz-canister/

CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND/OR PALM KERNEL AND/OR SOYBEAN)**, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)***, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE, SUGAR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ANNATTO COLOR., **Adds a trivial amount of fat. ***Not a source of lactose.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    I use Muscle milk protein shake chocolate, cookies n cream, vanila or any other protein shakes. 1 oz of creamer will be only 13 cal, plus it adds some dose of protein more than milk
  • crackon20
    crackon20 Posts: 20 Member
    A nutritionist told me plant or cow based in the coffee. No fake food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,870 Member
    I like unhealthy goat milk. Use it in my latte.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    Well, skip this one if you oppose “fake food”.

I cracked open a bottle of Jordan’s Caramel Cream Cheesecake zero calorie syrup this morning. To my utmost surprise and joy, my coffee tasted like a fancy coffee piled high with whipped cream and drizzled with caramel syrup.

It defies all logic what they can do with fake foods.

szy4kuc5ii74.jpeg
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    crackon20 wrote: »

What do you consider to be "fake food"?
    I bet a lot of plant based "milks" would qualify.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member

What's wrong with goats milk, or camel milk?
  • Sara3veg
    Sara3veg Posts: 48 Member
    I've experimented with all types of coffee additions and have settled on just reducing the amount of cups per day, like others have also recommended. I'm at one cup in the morning with a splash of whole milk and then 1pkt of sugar.

If it's an issue for you maybe just reduce the number of cups?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

So goat's milk is off the table?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm not a complainer and I am good with eating clean and have even conquered my sugar cravings at this point. However, I am addicted to powdered creamer and can't seem to find an alternative that tastes good in my coffee.

It's the one thing I can't seem to give up and I can't deal with black coffee. What are some good alternatives that you have used?

This is one of those things where I'd ask myself, in the grand scheme of things is this really an issue that is having some kind of substantial negative impact on my overall nutrition and/or health? Most likely the answer here would be not really...it would be a tiny fraction of the entirety of my nutritional profile. I think people get way to caught up in the minutia of this little thing or that little thing and lose site of the bigger picture. Overall good nutrition happens on a fairly broad scale...not every little thing has to be perfectly 100% "clean" or whatever to have an overall nutritious diet. There are many things I enjoy that don't really add much to my nutritional profile...but I enjoy them and they aren't a detriment either...so there's really no reason to cancel them.

As to a substitute, I would personally prefer just regular half and half.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm not a complainer and I am good with eating clean and have even conquered my sugar cravings at this point. However, I am addicted to powdered creamer and can't seem to find an alternative that tastes good in my coffee.

It's the one thing I can't seem to give up and I can't deal with black coffee. What are some good alternatives that you have used?

This is one of those things where I'd ask myself, in the grand scheme of things is this really an issue that is having some kind of substantial negative impact on my overall nutrition and/or health? Most likely the answer here would be not really...it would be a tiny fraction of the entirety of my nutritional profile. I think people get way to caught up in the minutia of this little thing or that little thing and lose site of the bigger picture. Overall good nutrition happens on a fairly broad scale...not every little thing has to be perfectly 100% "clean" or whatever to have an overall nutritious diet. There are many things I enjoy that don't really add much to my nutritional profile...but I enjoy them and they aren't a detriment either...so there's really no reason to cancel them.

As to a substitute, I would personally prefer just regular half and half.

I think it depends on mindset. I love my chai teas every day, and refuse to give them up. Two take up about 73 calories a day, and my coffee runs about 15 calories.

Even on a generous 2500 average calorie a day plan, that’s still about 100 calories in drinks, which is comparatively a chunk.

I’d rather cut a little here with some fat free or sugar free options so I have more to eat there.

I find that when counting calories, I look forward to every available morsel, and am hesitant to “waste” them.

I guess that’s why I have such a hard time wrapping my head around people who go heavy on protein drinks.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member

Yeah, most plant-based milks are definitely "fake food." It is very difficult to find plant-based milk that doesn't have a lot of additives. I'm not big into the whole "fake food" thing being horrible, but being on an elimination diet has opened my eyes to how much extra stuff is added to plant-based foods.
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    I have always been a Sugar-Free French Vanilla. I just started using Super Creamer because it has protein and fewer chemicals. It takes a little getting used to because of the taste of monk fruit, but I recommend it!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yeah, most plant-based milks are definitely "fake food." It is very difficult to find plant-based milk that doesn't have a lot of additives. I'm not big into the whole "fake food" thing being horrible, but being on an elimination diet has opened my eyes to how much extra stuff is added to plant-based foods.

In a sense, dairy can be said to have additives too, they're just invisibly added upstream in the sense of being fed to cows.

Here an interesting opinion about palm oil in Canadian dairy: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-dairy-industrys-use-of-palm-oil-breaches-its-moral-contract-with/

It doesn't seem to be happening to the same extent in the US: https://www.foodpolitics.com/2021/03/and-now-buttergate/

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    @springlering62 I decided to try one of those syrup sampler packs thanks to you! I typically use sweetened condensed milk in my iced coffee, which I think is fine and I weigh it, but I like the idea of saving a few calories too while still getting to enjoy it. So I figured I could give it a whirl since the hot weather has arrived here. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    I switched to Nut Pods, which is a non-dairy creamer. I will admit that I'd rather have a sugary creamer, but I use a significant amount of it and it takes too many of my calories! This one tastes good enough to me. :)
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member

In a sense, dairy can be said to have additives too, they're just invisibly added upstream in the sense of being fed to cows.

Here an interesting opinion about palm oil in Canadian dairy: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-dairy-industrys-use-of-palm-oil-breaches-its-moral-contract-with/

It doesn't seem to be happening to the same extent in the US: https://www.foodpolitics.com/2021/03/and-now-buttergate/

I don't know if this ever actually happened, but I had heard about dairy companies wanting to add things like sucralose to cow's milk to keep up with plant-based milk, since some of those have added sweeteners. Don't know it ever actually happened.

I personally don't drink a lot of cow's milk (and am not at all right now), but my kids and husbands do--not a lot, but some.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    I like some muscle milk in coffee. I hate the tase otherwize, but in coffee it works. A bit artificial, but I like the idea of protein and atificial sweetner better than fat and high fructose corn syrup. (By the way, don't try brotein powder, most of them clump terribly.)