Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the phrases "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" and "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels?" These were probably popularized around the time women smoked or even took prescription pills to stay thin.

I actually said these to myself at times, but it (unsurprisingly) never worked.

Oh God, my mom indoctrinated me with that line. Her ideas about weight loss (especially the idea that it's hopeless) is probably one of the reasons I was obese for so long, convinced that weight could only be gained, never lost.
    My blood pressure spikes every time she says that line now, because I'm living proof it's nonsense.

I'm very fortunate, I now realize, that my mom was never into dieting or struggled with her weight, outwardly at least. Even though I was a kind of chubby kid, for the most part she didn't ever make me feel bad about it, or tell me I couldn't have something that my thin brothers could. Sure, there were a few missteps that made me feel kinda bad at the time (like "You'd be so pretty if you only lost weight :/ ), but I now know that was her trying to help me. My dad, however, was the one I felt more shame from about my weight and food choices. He was also the one who struggled with his weight more (athough no one would ever call him "fat").
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    The one that I like is the myth that salt is bad for you. I've even heard people insist that humans don't need salt, try telling that to those of us that live in the tropics. Salt is only a problem if you have high blood pressure, otherwise there is no point in restricting it, and studies show that too little salt is just as dangerous as too much. In Australia doctors have a real problem convincing people that they are dehydrated and need more salt in their diet.

Even most hypertensive people can eat salt. Only a small portion of them are sensitive to dietary salt.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Hmmm, surely it's the memory going and it's already been mentioned but I forgot.

"If you want an accurate calorie burn for that workout you'll need to get a HRM, or if you can't trust the wrist version you'll need a chest strap for accuracy on that."

Yeah, for many, heart rate monitors dramatically overestimate calorie burn.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Since this just popped up in another thread (again) - insulin is the boogyman and is evil!!!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oh, here's one I've seen a few times: that if you experience amenhorrea due to intense exercise, you can go on birth control to "get your cycle back."
  • fitstrongfitlove
    fitstrongfitlove Posts: 58 Member
    you have to be hungry all the time to any loose weight.

hunger and self denial establish success.

(insert eye roll)
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Muscle soreness (DOMS) is an indicator of how good a workout was. Not sore, no benefits.

Yeah, that drives me crazy. Some people treat extreme soreness after workouts like some badge of honor, but what they don't realize feeling like that after EVERY workout is most likely inhibiting their progress.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Muscle soreness (DOMS) is an indicator of how good a workout was. Not sore, no benefits.

as is lying in a pool of sweat...

Corollary to that myth: The amount of sweat is an indicator of the amount of calorie burn.

Further down the same thought path: Whatever it is, if it feels subjectively *really hard*, it burns more calories.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

as is lying in a pool of sweat...

Corollary to that myth: The amount of sweat is an indicator of the amount of calorie burn.

Further down the same thought path: Whatever it is, if it feels subjectively *really hard*, it burns more calories.

100%
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Drinking ice cold water will increase your metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Drinking ice cold water will increase your metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I have an aunt who is really into this. She also thinks drinking her Pepsi very cold will cancel out some of the calories. Whenever she sees me drink room temperature water (my preference), she'll remind me that I'm not taking advantage of the true power of water.

(Yes, she is overweight).