Replies

• annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    My farmers market on Long Island had the fiddlehead 2 weeks ago
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    edited May 2021
    acpgee wrote: »
    When I was a kid I remember getting them frozen so they could be eaten outside of their very short season. I wonder if they are just as expensive frozen?

I have NEVER seen them frozen... I’d be so thrilled to see such a thing!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    annk18 wrote: »
    My farmers market on Long Island had the fiddlehead 2 weeks ago

Cool!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I finally managed to buy frozen artichoke hearts in the UK and am a little disappointed so far. I tried roasting and there were some inedible stringy bits. Tried braising which was better but there were still some hard stringy bits. What is your favourite way to deal with frozen artichoke hearts? Short of defrosting and trimming them down to remove bits of leaf and choke.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    When I was a kid I remember getting them frozen so they could be eaten outside of their very short season. I wonder if they are just as expensive frozen?

I have NEVER seen them frozen... I’d be so thrilled to see such a thing!

I grew up in Canada. Maybe it is a Canadian thing? They are pretty expensive frozen too.
    https://wcwf.ca/shop/frozen-products/frozen-b-c-fiddleheads/
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    I have kale and Swiss chard seedlings appearing, all of the pot veggies have buds that are starting to open, and the bees are busy in the raspberries. Waiting on the beets, carrots, and beans to make an appearance. I'm going to have lots of fresh produce to eat soon.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I'd take some of the artichokes if you want to send them my way!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    We are thinking of ordering a veggie box. Does anyone here live in the Toronto, Ontario area and order them? If so, where from? We have been inspired by reading the posts on this thread. I will eat any veggies and my husband is now willing (or do he says lol) to try some new types.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'd take some of the artichokes if you want to send them my way!

Delivery is unavailable. But feel free to come pick some up :smile:

Actually, I could make bank on shipping and handling for "free" artichokes. So yeah - I'll send some. :wink:
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    @acpgee Your pea shoots look amazing, mine have a little powdery mildew so I don't want to eat them. The food bank farm's were hit really hard around the corner. I wish mine as green as yours!

@mtaratoot You sound like the artichoke Bubba Gump! I can eat a few artichokes but that many would be pushing it. What would you replace the plants with if you pulled them? I thought of you at the nursery when I saw artichoke plants, I kind of wish I'd picked one up but my garden is huge right now and we're in a drought.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    @mtaratoot You sound like the artichoke Bubba Gump! I can eat a few artichokes but that many would be pushing it. What would you replace the plants with if you pulled them? I thought of you at the nursery when I saw artichoke plants, I kind of wish I'd picked one up but my garden is huge right now and we're in a drought.

Well, it was just a thing that one day. I took a few days off from cooking them when it was really hot out. I cooked two last night, but didn't cook them all the way. It was already too late; I will finish them off today and have them for lunch. I've also been giving them away to people who are very grateful. I gave two to friends yesterday, and they told me they saw a picture of two of them on another friend's dashboard on Facebook. I'm not on that service, so I won't get to see it, but it made me smile.

Rambutan for the win. Someone here told me to look out for those. Brilliant suggestion.

That would be me. I'm glad you found them and love them. I see them around here (PNW USA) every now and then, but they look old and shriveled, and they aren't as tasty. They are pretty magic little fruits. So many delicious things there. All kinds of bananas. Fresh papaya. Pineapple that is actually ripe. Yeah. I'm jealous.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    Fantastic thread! I just discovered a new love of shallots, and leeks. Leeks always sounded so... insipid... but they are nice! Today I tried a feijoa. Really neat little fruit and I love the aroma!
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    Lunch today was 3 cups+ of steamed Brussels sprouts with a little added salt and butter. A few Triscuits and i was a happy camper! Grand was ok, as he likes sprouts. Daughter ...not so happy.

Dinner planned is brat and roasted Vidalia onion on half bun toasted. Fresh okra roasted with smattering of grated parm for side. Cold cantaloupe quarter for dessert. Everyone will be happy with dinner!

• g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    Fantastic thread! I just discovered a new love of shallots, and leeks. Leeks always sounded so... insipid... but they are nice! Today I tried a feijoa. Really neat little fruit and I love the aroma!

I love finding out about new produce! Have to add feijoa to my bucket list!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yummy salad g842b5j7e94v.jpeg
    And pan cooked hearts of palmy2lkwrltnjur.jpeg